Want ICS on SGH-i997? Emailing Samsung wouldn't hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

dman3285

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 24, 2010
Rome, Ga.
The four devices I built aosp ics for... Not ports... Prove you wrong.. Period... I was building roms since the original.... But there's always some dew who thinks they know it all.... But this I know about.... I have a build for this device.. No kernel because our kernel is so hard to develop for....and when you port ics... What do u use as proprietary files? That's right... Gingerbread files... This is like talking to a wall... You have fun porting...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using xda premium

Reactions: tamelion1117

jt1134

May 8, 2010
The four devices I built aosp ics for... Not ports... Prove you wrong.. Period... I was building roms since the original.... But there's always some dew who thinks they know it all.... But this I know about.... I have a build for this device.. No kernel because our kernel is so hard to develop for....and when you port ics... What do u use as proprietary files? That's right... Gingerbread files... This is like talking to a wall... You have fun porting...

Lol you're funny guy

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA

wolfen69

Feb 25, 2012
Woodstock, GA USA
Omg please people just flash, one of the collective roms and you'll have everything you need

Exactly. I'm running zeus 5.2 with the ICS theme, and am really happy with it. I'm running ics on my Epic 4G, (media player only, since it's not activated) and nothing about it would change my life or the way I use my phone. Nice but not necessary.

Last edited:
O

Optimus-Prime

Exactly. I'm running zeus 5.2 with the ICS theme, and am really happy with it. I'm running ics on my Epic 4G, (media player only, since it's not activated) and nothing about it would change my life or the way I use my phone. Nice but not necessary.

But it is ICS. Its newer for a reason.

Sent from Optimus-Prime's SGSII

tamelion1117

Oct 14, 2011
Nampa, ID
Well...for the one that says that ics runs FINE on galaxy s with only 358 mb of ram, sir YOU are sadly mistaken...to run ics on a galaxy s device, ass loads of **** has to be removed and modified for it not to require the 1gb or more of ram tjat it DOES require...meaning...it is just a hacked up version of ics... And..if we hapoen to get a biild on this device, it will bebthe same if not worse. So i say be happy with the badass roms we have now and put ics in the backbof your mind...it aont gonna happen...and who really cares anyway... If you want... I can make you a rom that operates exactly like ics...oh wait! I already have... :rolleyes:

Hell yeah!

Sent from my Zeus v.6 powered Infuse!

tamelion1117

Oct 14, 2011
Nampa, ID
But it is ICS. Its newer for a reason.

Sent from Optimus-Prime's SGSII

So, your reason for wanting ICS is just because it's newer?

That's a piss poor reason.

Simply put, the infuse can't run ics unless it was modded and all chopped up... in other words: features would be removed. By the time it's all said and done you'd have a slightly shinier version of gb with nothing "new" worth having because it was all removed to make it work.

I'll wait til I upgrade and have a true ics experience!

Thanks. :D

Dani897

Aug 16, 2010
what is all this nonsense that ics would need to be all chopped up to run on the infuse and that aosp ics needs 1gb ram.

the nexus s had official ics on release day of the galaxy nexus. nexus phones stay up to date on os. the nexus one was finally retired after several good years but the nexus s is still up to date directly from google, not xda developers.

ics simply doesn't need 1gb or even 512 mb to run. that's an excuse samsung used for the sgs about touchwiz over top of ics so they don't have to update it. not aosp.

the only thing we know will be an issue is bluetooth audio. period! gps, wifi, mhl and our radio may also be issues but we don't know till someone compiles it and tries it. the nexus s has the same audio, cpu, gpu, and other componants, these are the major performance releated componants that will benefit from ics, all those drivers will be up to date and as long as the interfaces haven't changed for the things that we have gb drivers for then we should be able to have ics working nearly like cm7 with little trouble as long as a dev who knows aosp on samsung devices puts in the time. there is no reason to believe that the infuse can't do what the nexus s is already doing with official from google updates on a performance level. maybe the radios will be a problem, if a new ril is needed were kinda screwed but other thsn that it should run as well as cm7. its just that noone with an infuse has aosp porting experience. that's what we need.

dman3285

Aug 24, 2010
Rome, Ga.
Nonsense....have you built it... do you even understand what your saying??? I HAVE built it... all that technical mumbo means 0... bottom line...I've done it...3 now 4 other devs have also done it... so...when did our infuse ram and size increase??????? Huh??? Because if you system dump a nexus you'll see why it has to be lightened up.... I'm speaking from doing...not reading .... in layman's terms....it was not meant for our device... there are no components for it for our device...so we have to rely on gb source to make it work on our device... gb and ics jacked together in a kernel to make it work.. so what part of that in NOT hacked up???????? Your smarter than that, anything not MEANT to run on our device has to be hacked up to do so...period.... wow...need to close this rediculous thread....

westshotgun

Feb 2, 2012
I heard minimum ram required for ICS update is 768mb... And infuse has only 512 ram. It's never going to happen unless ATT or Samsung come up with the value pack (light version of ICS) like google did on Nexus S. Since ATT like to put bloatwares, chances are very very minimal.

jt1134

May 8, 2010
Nonsense....have you built it... do you even understand what your saying??? I HAVE built it... all that technical mumbo means 0... bottom line...I've done it...3 now 4 other devs have also done it... so...when did our infuse ram and size increase??????? Huh??? Because if you system dump a nexus you'll see why it has to be lightened up.... I'm speaking from doing...not reading .... in layman's terms....it was not meant for our device... there are no components for it for our device...so we have to rely on gb source to make it work on our device... gb and ics jacked together in a kernel to make it work.. so what part of that in NOT hacked up???????? Your smarter than that, anything not MEANT to run on our device has to be hacked up to do so...period.... wow...need to close this rediculous thread....

You're hilarious

PS: when thumping your chest about how smart you are, you should at least check your post for misspellings and grammatical errors. Just some advice ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA

Last edited:
Reactions: brorex
O

Optimus-Prime

So, your reason for wanting ICS is just because it's newer?

That's a piss poor reason.

Simply put, the infuse can't run ics unless it was modded and all chopped up... in other words: features would be removed. By the time it's all said and done you'd have a slightly shinier version of gb with nothing "new" worth having because it was all removed to make it work.

I'll wait til I upgrade and have a true ics experience!

Thanks. :D

meh, i really dont care for it anymore. i got my SGSII now. :D

zmattmanz

Jun 15, 2008
Greensboro, NC
I'm sorry, but there's a core group of people on this forum that are eager to throw up anything negative RE: ICS. Frankly, if you don't want to have anything to do with e-mail Samsung or finding other developers to work on ICS then shut up.

If the only thing you can contribute to these threads are "Waste of Time" or "Can't be Done" or "Good Luck, it will never happen" then you're pretty much a waste of life.

Your opinions are well known and vocalized over many many threads that make people feel bad for asking about ICS. ICS Threads will continue to come up because that's what people really want. No one needs to justify why they want ICS anymore than I need to justify why I like turkey sandwiches: I just do. If you don't that's fine, but STFU about my preferences and I'll STFU about yours.

Trying could be a waste of time, but it's our time to waste (that is the people that want to try to make ICS happen). We all don't have to agree, but please just start a new thread and everyone can list out reasons every day why ICS won't happen and stop cluttering up the ones that actually try to do something.

Last edited:

Teufel Hunden

Mar 7, 2012
Ventura Co., CA
Some devs just think their high and mighty cause they learned how to make a rom in 5 months....most of them wont even reply to you anymore unless its defending their stuff for no reason.

BUT.... on the otherside Dman is right ICS will be and IS a waste of the next android firmware update. For one why make more button on the bottom of the screen when the phone Already has them? Pointless!

brorex

May 19, 2007
Colorado
Some devs just think their high and mighty cause they learned how to make a rom in 5 months....most of them wont even reply to you anymore unless its defending their stuff for no reason.

BUT.... on the otherside Dman is right ICS will be and IS a waste of the next android firmware update. For one why make more button on the bottom of the screen when the phone Already has them? Pointless!

All of the ICS roms that are for the phones that have physical buttons do not have the onscreen buttons I just picked up a captivate yesterday (which has 512mb of ram) and am running CM9 on it and must say it is the smoothest rom i've tried to date :):D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well...for the one that says that ics runs FINE on galaxy s with only 358 mb of ram, sir YOU are sadly mistaken...to run ics on a galaxy s device, ass loads of **** has to be removed and modified for it not to require the 1gb or more of ram tjat it DOES require...meaning...it is just a hacked up version of ics... And..if we hapoen to get a biild on this device, it will bebthe same if not worse. So i say be happy with the badass roms we have now and put ics in the backbof your mind...it aont gonna happen...and who really cares anyway... If you want... I can make you a rom that operates exactly like ics...oh wait! I already have... :rolleyes:

Well as all the kiddies wanted to come out and play and start cursing at each other like school kids this thread is now closed.

I will warn only once. You only get one warning and this is it. Either act like adults and follow all the rules or you can find yourself with a one way ticket to bansville.
    A better idea would be to post a comment asking for a list of products that they intend to provide quality software support longer than they have the Infuse, so in the future we'd know which one to purchase and which to avoid.
    Zeus rocks, why are we even talking about ics, Zeus has all ya need, here how about you send your phone to a developer and let them work with yours
    Then you don't know much bruh... ics has to be ligtned majorly to run on these devices... why do you think Samsung wont update ics to these devices?? Because of how much space and ram it uses... the ics you are porting... aosp or cm9 is lightened up and hacked up before you ever compile it and build it.. like cyanogen said, ics is just piggybacking on gingerbread to run on these devices... the kernel to port to these devices is a gingerbread kernel hacked up with the proper drivers to boot ics.... so... its not full ics...its the base of ics with gingerbread weaved thru it.. I compile a build for the note and saw all sort of gingerbread **** in it... I assure you I know what I'm talking about after developing for this devices for a year... have a nice day bro ..