What are the differences between 1st Gen and 2nd Gen WP devices for Apollo.

Search This thread

Kenzibit

Mar 4, 2012
Accra
Google Pixel 4 XL
When I read some threads in this forum, I keep on seeing people making comments like 2nd gen WP devices like TItan II and Lumia 900 getting Apollo updates but not 1st gen devices like my HD7 because of hardware. It makes me laugh coz the question is whats the difference between this devices in general.

Just look at this:
1st gen and 2nd gen have the same 512 MB ROM,
The have the Same 512 MB RAM (even more on my HD7 which has a RAM of 576MB)
CPU speed is just a difference of 0.5 (1ghz for 1st gen and maximum of 1.5ghz for 2nd gen)

Based on these important specs, why can one then say 2nd gen can get Apollo updates whilst 1st gen can't. I mean based on what? cpu what?

I even see people writing that, Tango devices are similar to 1st gen so both wont get Apollo and 2nd gen will get...what the heck? With tango devices running half of all these specs? How can you write something like this...SMH.

txaggies07

Feb 25, 2011
Houston
I have always wondered the same thing. I could see certain companies (cough cough AT&T cough cough) not pushing any update for Gen 1 since it will have been 2 years since the phones were launched.

The only issue I can really see is that the OS might need different drivers to run Windows Phone 8 due to a very different kernel. This would mean the manufacturer would have to release a driver update for a 2 year old phone. Thus, I could see Samsung (for example) only releasing drivers for the Focus S and Focus Flash, but not the original Focus.

lamborg

Feb 13, 2009
welovemj.co.cc
Didn't microsoft promised support to all the phones for like 3 years or something? I remember people saying that continued support is another reason for them to buy WP7.

drkfngthdragnlrd

Retired Recognized Developer
Mar 27, 2008
Palmdale, CA
www.facebook.com
Just look at this:
CPU speed is just a difference of 0.5 (1ghz for 1st gen and maximum of 1.5ghz for 2nd gen)

You don't understand how hardware works do you?

Yes they have the same amount of RAM, but it is most likely faster RAM like DDR2 compared to DDR3.

Yes, the clock speed is only .4-.5 GHz faster, but that's a 40-50% gain in clock alone nevermind the fact that the newer Snapdragon does more work per clock cycle. So, you're talking 2-3 times the performance.

The GPU in the newer Snapdragon is also 2-3 times faster & that SoC also has better battery life thanks the the smaller nm technology.

Also, you're forgetting about the hardware level enhancements to the chips. Basically talking about SSE/etc. equivalent. Certain versions of Adobe Photoshop won't work on certain CPU's just because a lack of SSE.

Spec sheets mean nothing if you don't know this kind of information. It'd be like compared an AMD Athlon XP 2.5 GHz CPU to a AMD 2.5 GHz x64. They are both 2.5 GHz & were out at the same time, but the x64 was vastly superior & not just because it was a 64-bit CPU. Another example is Celeron/Pentium. Granted thread, that huge performance increase was Cache memory.

Kenzibit

Mar 4, 2012
Accra
Google Pixel 4 XL
These differences are not much if I'm right. They just can't choose to upgrade 2nd gen devices and leave these 1st gen based on this small difference. I would understand if it were between a single core and a dual core.

EgoMaximus

Mar 14, 2010
True tango just like nodo are consider minor updates.And if they promise 2 major updates that should be mango and apollo.

I think you are in for a nice surprise then. It will bring more than NoDo ever did :)

Yes they have the same amount of RAM, but it is most likely faster RAM like DDR2 compared to DDR3.

Yes, the clock speed is only .4-.5 GHz faster, but that's a 40-50% gain in clock alone nevermind the fact that the newer Snapdragon does more work per clock cycle. So, you're talking 2-3 times the performance.

The GPU in the newer Snapdragon is also 2-3 times faster & that SoC also has better battery life thanks the the smaller nm technology.

Also, you're forgetting about the hardware level enhancements to the chips. Basically talking about SSE/etc. equivalent. Certain versions of Adobe Photoshop won't work on certain CPU's just because a lack of SSE.

Spec sheets mean nothing if you don't know this kind of information. It'd be like compared an AMD Athlon XP 2.5 GHz CPU to a AMD 2.5 GHz x64. They are both 2.5 GHz & were out at the same time, but the x64 was vastly superior & not just because it was a 64-bit CPU. Another example is Celeron/Pentium. Granted thread, that huge performance increase was Cache memory.

This.

leftspeaker2000

Jul 27, 2011
I think we will get window Apollo on 1st gen handsets but I think it is going to be some what crippled with not all the functionality that 3rd or what ever there up the when it finally launches will have.

eviloverlord

Jan 26, 2009
No win 8 for WP7 device

Sadly i think is quite clear we wont see WP8 on our Gen 1 and 2 devices. Its not that the phones spec's and performance are too low. Microsoft made it quite clear that Win on Arm requires UEFI firmware /w secure boot and ACPI power management.

voluptuary

Dec 29, 2010
Mukwonago
Sadly i think is quite clear we wont see WP8 on our Gen 1 and 2 devices. Its not that the phones spec's and performance are too low. Microsoft made it quite clear that Win on Arm requires UEFI firmware /w secure boot and ACPI power management.

yes that is true for Windows 8 for ARM, but Windows 8 for ARM =/= Windows Phone 8, yes they will share things but they are not the same.

Alcoholic

Aug 27, 2009
Didn't microsoft promised support to all the phones for like 3 years or something? I remember people saying that continued support is another reason for them to buy WP7.

Tell that to AT&T. Still on 7720 here dealing with the keyboard disappearing problem every single day.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just look at this:

My hd7 got the update and I don't mess with unlocking.