No H+ on UK 3 network?

Search This thread

Medulla

Aug 23, 2008
After buying my One Max SIM free I switched over from O2 to 3, and then got my original number ported to the new SIM card. After the porting happened this morning I switched the 3 SIM card into the phone and thought I was good to go. However I'm getting terrible download speeds (~150Kbps) in areas which worked fine with the same handset on the O2 network. I've also checked with a friend here at work who's also on 3 but has a Galaxy S 4 and he's getting perfectly fine download speeds vs my terrible ones even when both handsets are sitting side by side. So the handset is capable of decent speeds in itself and the network is also fine with other people's phones. I noticed also that in the bar at the top of the phone display the network icon never cycles up from H to H+ (which it did when I was with O2) and I assume this is a part of the problem.

So, any other One Max owners here on the UK 3 network who can comment on their network speeds? Is it possible there's some incompatibility between the network bands the One Max supports and those that 4 use? That seems unlikely in this day and age but you never know. My friend did mention that our boss had a similar experience with his iPhone when he first switched to 3 but it settled down and was fine after a while so is there some weird 'bedding in' period when you first switch networks or something?

Medulla

Aug 23, 2008
You could probably contact 3 support and check if your phone is supported

Aye, 3 themselves will be my next stop if things don't improve in the next couple of days but I was curious if anyone else was having any issues. Three do offer the HTC One so it's pretty unlikely the One Max wouldn't be supported but you never know I suppose.

pradeepvizz

Dec 24, 2010
Dubai
Makes sense - Your case seems to be very similar to one i had with my provider. LTE wont work and i lodged a compliant to get it fixed

pradeepvizz

Dec 24, 2010
Dubai
So did they manage to fix it from their end or did you need to get a new phone or something else?

They fixed it from their end. i had switched from HTC One to a HTC One X+ which did not have LTE and i unsubscribed by data package for 2 months which made the backend system de-activate LTE on my number and it could be only fixed by the tech team.

Medulla

Aug 23, 2008
Cool, well, hopefully something similar can be done for me. I'll give it until lunch time tomorrow to see if it sorts itself out and if not I'll go into the store and ask them to look at it. The phone's basically unusable as it stands which is unacceptable so if they can't get it sorted pretty quickly I'll just walk. Luckily it's only a rolling one month contract I've signed up for, although I'm not sure there are any decently priced alternatives. I might end up regretting giving up my ancient and cheap O2 unlimited contract here...

pradeepvizz

Dec 24, 2010
Dubai
What comes to my mind is that you could go to the phone testing mode and try to have a look at the phones capable network types and compare it to 3 network types

To go to test mode, you have to *#*#4636#*#* and there choose phone info.

Here is an example of what I see on my phone

Sent from my HTC One max using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Attachments

• 1385493497930.jpg
    1385493497930.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 40

Medulla

Aug 23, 2008
It was set to WCDMA preferred so I've changed it to GSM/WCDMA/LTE auto but 3 definitely haven't rolled out LTE and I don't even know if they have GSM on their network so I don't know if this'll make any difference.

Interestingly the phone number listed in that phone info panel is the original phone number (i.e. the number that was on the SIM out of the box before I ported my old number onto it) but that could just be hard-coded onto the SIM at some level and not really used for anything I suppose.