Camera delete your foto if you don't use Google Plus!

Search This thread

c3k

Sep 13, 2009
I'm on 4.4.2 and I've found a very serious bug that made ​​me lose a couple of photo, here's how to reproduce it:

1. Assume that you don't use Google+ and you keep it disabled on your phone (manage application > google+ > disable), so you don't have the Photos app in your drawer too
  2. Open the camera
  3. Swipe right in photos
  4. Look at topleft, you'll find the Photos icon, THIS WORK AS A NO-CONFIRMATION-DELETE button!

I've read about Photos becomes the default application swiping from camera in 4.4.1, so I may expect an error / force close but I could never imagine that...

Can anyone confirm this?

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/nexus/using-the-camera/nexus-5/HhmMfQki-Qs

Last edited:

Balir31

Dec 11, 2013
that would be very bad. I just started using photos, but never using gplus!

Last edited:

c3k

Sep 13, 2009
Yes, topleft, op edited.

Plese reply on google thread too (other user already confirm the issue), thank you

xda_fanboy

Jan 19, 2009
I fell victim to this yesterday! Very annoyed. I accidentally double tapped and deleted 2 photos in rapid succession when I only wanted to delete 1. I hope they patch this in the next update. Otherwise I'm going to have to try and remember not to delete photos from the Camera and go into Photos afterwards and do it there.

Update: Looked into recover options. Didn't find anything that will help me get back the already deleted file, but found something that will save me going forward. Already tested and confirmed recovery of a photo deleted directly from the Camera.

Installed Dumpster - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.baloota.dumpster
No root required, used the default setup and options.

Last edited:

lukas_s

Apr 6, 2011
Just download an alternate gallery like QuickPic. The Photos app is horrible, anyway.

poweruser123

Sep 6, 2012
Just delete Google+

I assume you don't use Google+ from the title so just delete the app (Google+) If You can't then it's a system app so you have to download something like "NoBloat" or "System App Uninstaller" so that you can remove Google+ Completely.

Google Luck

Hit that Thanks Button

c3k

Sep 13, 2009
Disabling (or deleting) Google+ CREATE the problem.

That's because Camera app has some reference to it and a crazy behavior when didn't found it!

poweruser123

Sep 6, 2012
The Universal Fix

There is A Universal Fix for about 90% of the problems of Android which are:
1- Flash A Custom Kernel
2- Flash A Custom Rom
You can try those. I recommend Franco Kernel and any other ROM then the one you have...

chopper the dog

Oct 17, 2008
The blood bath known as Chicago IL.
1- Flash A Custom Kernel
2- Flash A Custom Rom
You can try those. I recommend Franco Kernel and any other ROM then the one you have...
Looks like @poweruser123 wants to post in the dev section. You can keep your bloated franco kernel fanboi love. Try actually reading the thread before you reply next time.

good day.

Last edited:

poweruser123

Sep 6, 2012
Chill Dude,,,

Looks like @poweruser123 wants to post in the dev section. You can keep your bloated franco kernel fanboi love. Try actually reading the thread before you reply next time.

good day.

Hey. I've been using XDA- Developers since my samsung galaxy S2 then the S3 then the Note 2 and Now The Nexus 5, Of course I want to post in the dev section... You've been me at some point. Camera is one of the easiest thing to get wrong in any ROM so many variables take part into it, the ROM, Kernel and Mods. Since when Franco Kernel was bad????...It's the best plus I use a modded version of Franco Kernel made by LaboDj in which he uses Linaro

El Daddy

Retired Forum Moderator
May 2, 2008
Roseville, MN
I'm on 4.4.2 and I've found a very serious bug that made ​​me lose a couple of photo, here's how to reproduce it:

1. Assume that you don't use Google+ and you keep it disabled on your phone (manage application > google+ > disable), so you don't have the Photos app in your drawer too
  2. Open the camera
  3. Swipe right in photos
  4. Look at topleft, you'll find the Photos icon, THIS WORK AS A NO-CONFIRMATION-DELETE button!

I've read about Photos becomes the default application swiping from camera in 4.4.1, so I may expect an error / force close but I could never imagine that...

Can anyone confirm this?

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/nexus/using-the-camera/nexus-5/HhmMfQki-Qs

Since the camera ties into the Photos app, and the Photos app is a part of Google+, it's not surprising disabling Google+ with break something. Just like disabling any /system app it can cause problems. It even states that in the dialog. "If you disable a built-in app, other apps my misbehave."

1- Flash A Custom Kernel
2- Flash A Custom Rom

What does a custom ROM or especially a custom kernel have to do with this?

xda_fanboy

Jan 19, 2009
Since the camera ties into the Photos app, and the Photos app is a part of Google+, it's not surprising disabling Google+ with break something. Just like disabling any /system app it can cause problems. It even states that in the dialog. "If you disable a built-in app, other apps my misbehave."

FYI - The issue presents without disabling Google+.

chopper the dog

Oct 17, 2008
The blood bath known as Chicago IL.
I cannot reproduce. Just tried several times. Pressing the photos icon in the upper left kicks me back to the photos app as intended.

If I press that flower in the upper left the pic I'm previewing from camera will be deleted and I will be sent to home screen with no fc.

good day.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1387815218734.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1387815218734.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 63

xda_fanboy

Jan 19, 2009
I cannot reproduce. Just tried several times. Pressing the photos icon in the upper left kicks me back to the photos app as intended.

Steps as outlined in the OP are inaccurate based on the subject itself, and I think things got further muddled by the incorrect use of terms (Photos vs Delete) and location (top-right vs top-left etc.)

To clarify: the issue as I understand it (and can reproduce 100% of the time) is that from within the Camera app you can permanently delete a photo without confirmation, by clicking the Delete trashcan icon in the top-right.

Steps to reproduce:
  1. Open the Camera app
  2. Swipe from the RHS to view photos
  3. Click the Delete trashcan icon in the top-right
  4. Photo is permanently deleted without any confirmation (Undo will be available for the last deleted photo only, and only if there is more than 1 photo remaining.)

Edit: Ok, now I'm confused. It seems perhaps I have misunderstood the issue being discussed, and that it is potentially related to disabling Google+ and the Photos icon in the top-left...
Issue that I described above is also/still an issue IMO. I don't like the fact that I could accidentally permanently delete a photo because I double tapped the Delete icon.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

2. Open the camera
    3. Swipe right in photos

Can anyone confirm this?

I could reproduce this issue.

1. Look at topright, you'll find the Photos icon, THIS WORK AS A NO-CONFIRMATION-DELETE button!
    I think you mean topleft here?
    Just download an alternate gallery like QuickPic. The Photos app is horrible, anyway.

This issue is from within the Camera app itself though, not Photos or Gallery.
    Steps as outlined in the OP are inaccurate based on the subject itself, and I think things got further muddled by the incorrect use of terms (Photos vs Delete) and location (top-right vs top-left etc.)

To clarify: the issue as I understand it (and can reproduce 100% of the time) is that from within the Camera app you can permanently delete a photo without confirmation, by clicking the Delete trashcan icon in the top-right.

Steps to reproduce:
    1. Open the Camera app
    2. Swipe from the RHS to view photos
    3. Click the Delete trashcan icon in the top-right
    4. Photo is permanently deleted without any confirmation (Undo will be available for the last deleted photo only, and only if there is more than 1 photo remaining.)

Well yeah, that's completely different than what is described in the OP. Haha.

If i hit the trashcan twice in succession, it will only give an undo for the last photo deleted and no confirmation dialog is displayed. The first photo deleted cannot be undone. It does the exact same thing when swiping up to delete. I believe the lack of dialog is intended so you can quickly delete a bad shot after taking it, without making an extra click.

I do agree that there should be an "undo (x)" button when quickly deleting more than one photo.

As far as hitting the app icon (up caret) and having the photo deleted, as described in the OP; I cannot reproduce with Google+ enabled.
    Well yeah, that's completely different than what is described in the OP. Haha.

If i hit the trashcan twice in succession, it will only give an undo for the last photo deleted and no confirmation dialog is displayed. The first photo deleted cannot be undone. It does the exact same thing when swiping up to delete. I believe the lack of dialog is intended so you can quickly delete a bad shot after taking it, without making an extra click.

I do agree that there should be an "undo (x)" button when quickly deleting more than one photo.

As far as hitting the app icon (up caret) and having the photo deleted, as described in the OP; I cannot reproduce with Google+ enabled.

Yeah, my bad there. :silly: Confused the issue with what I encountered, which was an accidental double delete with no confirmation and no means to recover the photo that I had actually wanted to keep. I understand the quick delete functionality to be able to nuke a bad photo you just took. What I don't like is that from that interface you can interact with your entire camera roll, which is how I ran into my particular problem. Perhaps if there was a means to limit it to recent or very recently taken photos (from a time stamp, not a number of perspective) that would be an acceptable solution.

I don't have/use Google+ but nor do I have the app disabled, and I cannot reproduce the issue in the OP either. So, it definitely seems to be related to disabling Google+, which, as you have already pointed out, came with a warning regarding the potential consequences.