[Q] Low Video Rec frame rates and bit rates.

Search This thread

jmswe

Jan 9, 2014
Having frame rate issues with recorded video capturing at only 20fps in 1080 mode, 21fps in 720 mode and 23fps in 480 mode using the back camera. In 1080 and 720 there is constant freezing and missing frames. Using the latest kitkat build 4.4.2 (KOT49h) since day one so maybe there is a bug with the current build as i don't see anyone else have this issue online.

I have not downloaded any apps since purchasing the device a few days ago, no apps running in the background and using the camera when the device has just been switched on.

I also noticed the bit rate is low for 1080 at around 8500 in comparison to an untouched sample i downloaded from another user that is recording at 12733 at 29fps but i think this user was still on the previous kitkat build.

The front facing camera recording is of smoother quality but only records at 25fps in both resolutions on offer.

I have also emailed Asus and the only response i have received is that in low light conditions the fps will drop. The recordings have all been done in bright perfect blue sky conditions so maybe i have a defective light sensor that is wrongly dropping the frame rates to maintain visual quality.

Just wondering if anyone here is using the same KitKat build and can tell me what frame rates and bit rates their recordings are at so that i can determine if it is due to the new kit kat version or it is hardware related.

Online articles have suggested the current KitKat "KOT49H" has caused significant fps drops in video playback and game playback but not sure if this same issue can be stretched to include video recording fps also.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

Last edited: