Rooting

Search This thread

km8j

Dec 9, 2012
What is the past of least resistance to root a 4.4 tmo X? In order to keep data, is it still that insanely long process?

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
WIth the T-Mobile variant you have two choices to root..

1. Unlock bootloader, flash twrp recovery, boot into twrp and install SU (or use TWRP's option to root). But this voids your warranty (since you don't have the developer edition), and unlocking the boot loader will wipe your device and data.

2. Use SlapMyMoto which has a lot of manual steps, and you need to reboot to "recovery" (well its modified and you don't have recovery), when you want R/W ability. (Or you have to also do the MotoWpNoMo process to gain R/W full time). But this has many steps.

km8j

Dec 9, 2012
WIth the T-Mobile variant you have two choices to root..

1. Unlock bootloader, flash twrp recovery, boot into twrp and install SU (or use TWRP's option to root). But this voids your warranty (since you don't have the developer edition), and unlocking the boot loader will wipe your device and data.

2. Use SlapMyMoto which has a lot of manual steps, and you need to reboot to "recovery" (well its modified and you don't have recovery), when you want R/W ability. (Or you have to also do the MotoWpNoMo process to gain R/W full time). But this has many steps.

thanks - re #1, will upgrades be painful i.e., new OTAs?

KidJoe

Aug 23, 2008
thanks - re #1, will upgrades be painful i.e., new OTAs?
OTA's will be more painful with #2 as there will be more to restore to stock. And of course the unknowns of if the new OTA will be rootable or not, and how long before a root process comes out.

For #1, you should be able to just put stock recovery back and take the OTA, then reflash TWRP and re-root.

km8j

Dec 9, 2012
Just following up. There is still no easy root method right?

DanRo80

Feb 12, 2009
Wisconsin
and what if you have the T-Mobile Moto X, haven't got the email to unlock bootloader and you can't get adb to recognize device?

km8j

Dec 9, 2012
Just bumping to see if there are any new reasonable ways of rooting kitkat?

KidJoe

Aug 23, 2008
Just bumping to see if there are any new reasonable ways of rooting kitkat?

Well, if you don't have an unlocked bootloader, SlapMyMoto (which now incorporates the MotoWpNoMo process into its steps) is the only way (there have been some efforts to consolidate/automate the process). And may not be usable if you're already on 4.4.2 (taking the 4.4.2 OTA update or flashing the full 4.4.2 SBF prevents you from flashing older ROMs which is a crucial step in using SlapMyMoto).

I've not see a 4.4.2 specific root process for locked bootloaders yet, but to be honest, I have a unlocked bootloader, so I haven't been completely paying attention.

If you have an unlocked bootloader, root process is still the same.

Last edited:

dray_jr

Jul 3, 2009
Fort Myers,FL
there is not going to be any new way to root 4.4 is not going to get a new exploit because 4.4.2 is out and Devs are working on finding a way to root it so the people with locked bootloaders can update.

if you want to root your device you have allready been giving the only 2 ways to do it

Locked bootloader - SlapMyMoto
Unlocked bootloader - Customer Recovery and SUPERSU

please dont bump your thread for info you allready have.

here is a link to both guides for both methods and a guide for unlocking your bootloader.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2603358