Desire Z/Vision/G2 - Successor

Search This thread

mintaeroboy

Nov 17, 2010
Oxford
What do you want to see if HTC bring out a hardware keyboard phone? Also names and any news.
Personal I would want qHD screen, terga 3 CPU, + GPU, 4G, sense/ics 4.0?, better speakers, 1900 mha battery, 16GB on broad memory, 2GB RAM,

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App

user032

Jun 14, 2011
QWERTY keyboard phones are unfortunately out of style nowadays. Moto Droid/Milestone is pretty much the only keyboard phone series with modern specs available at least over here. Samsung Captivate Glide seems intriguing with its dual core CPU and AMOLED display but it's US only.

If you are really looking for Sense, it's unfortunate that there are no rumors or leaks or anything about a HTC QWERTY flagship.

eGetin

Jan 23, 2011
Oulu
QWERTY keyboard phones are unfortunately out of style nowadays. Moto Droid/Milestone is pretty much the only keyboard phone series with modern specs available at least over here. Samsung Captivate Glide seems intriguing with its dual core CPU and AMOLED display but it's US only.

If you are really looking for Sense, it's unfortunate that there are no rumors or leaks or anything about a HTC QWERTY flagship.

That's not true. There clearly are people out there eagerly waiting for new QWERTY-phones, otherwise e.g. Sony Ericsson wouldn't sell Xperia pro and Mini pro etc. Nokia has released a few phones with QWERTY keyboard and as you said Motorola has Droids too.

Does anyone know how many Visions has been sold? HTC has always made qwerty-phones, I can't see any reason why they should stop now.

iucidium

Nov 17, 2010
Wolverhampton
A QWERTY Nexus would be nice - death to Sense. When I owned a Desire Z rooting and going to an AOSP Gingerbread DOUBLED my battery life.

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App

MarkMarrk

Dec 22, 2010
I would like to see more internal memory, better speakers, a better screen and I would like to see them keep the touch sensitive "trackball" button at the bottom of the phone!

UnSungHERO420

Nov 3, 2010
CT
twitter.com
I'd love a 1080p screen, gorilla glass, tegra 3, 64gb internal, ICS of course, 4G, an INSANE camera, and no matter the mah a battery to hold it all together for 14+ hours at heavy use.

But that's just me.

let me not forget to say vanilla android!

makken85

Dec 23, 2010
What do you want to see if HTC bring out a hardware keyboard phone? Also names and any news.
Personal I would want qHD screen, terga 3 CPU, + GPU, 4G, sense/ics 4.0?, better speakers, 1900 mha battery, 16GB on broad memory, 2GB RAM,

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App

4.0" 720p screen, Qualcomm krait + adreno 225, pentaband 3g, AOSP ICS, 2GB ram, 16GB ROM + SD card, 5 row QWERTY with directional keys or D-pad, dedicated camera button, metal back cover with release lever.

hey, I can dream right? :D

user032

Jun 14, 2011
So says you. Although declining, Blackberries still sell and I refuse to buy anything that does not have a physical QWERTY keyboard.

It's not my personal opinion, just look at the current phone market with slates everywhere. For one, I'd love a powerful QWERTY smartphone to replace my current primary phone GSII, which was by the way the first non-keyboard one.

That's not true. There clearly are people out there eagerly waiting for new QWERTY-phones, otherwise e.g. Sony Ericsson wouldn't sell Xperia pro and Mini pro etc. Nokia has released a few phones with QWERTY keyboard and as you said Motorola has Droids too.

Aren't most of these are mid-range phones with the exception of Droid?

Last edited:

gtmaster303

Oct 19, 2010
At least I'm not the only one that feels a bit lonely out here.
Android phones are being pumped out by the dozen, but there are very few QWERTY phones in the mix. I could probably count them all on one hand. Everyone uses either a GSM or CDMA network, so your options are halved right there as well

The only quality phones I have seen maybe worth trading my G2 in for, are the MyTouch 4G Slide and the Samsung Captivate Glide.

But they are still fairly new phones with no CM support yet....

---------- Post added at 08:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 AM ----------

to me, the only thing that matters is to make the soft buttons as hardware buttons, not the irritating touch

—————
|RIROZIZO|
—————

If that's what you want, then the 4G Slide is your only option. It's one of the only phones that still retains hardware keys.

I actually prefer hardware keys as well. But the 4G Slide wasn't out at the time, and I needed a little more horsepower than the 3G Slide I was carrying...

Reactions: rirozizo

sino8r

Sep 7, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Damnit! this is just wishful thinking lol! I thought there was some news of the G3/Desire Super Z or something ;) Didn't we already have a wish list thread for the next big HTC qwerty model?

I do wonder about when it will happen. In tech terms, our great Desire Z/G2 is extremely antiquated. It does seem to be taking too long but the same happened with the G1. The only decent option I've seen is the MT4GS and that only a US model. Can't really compare a Samsung model because they are junk compared to their flagship models like the Galaxy line.
Even those... I'm hardly interested in those. Lack of led for battery/notifications, trackpad/ball, and plastic-ish build is too much for me to consider. Plus, even though I'm in the US, the MT4GS have literally 5 pages in the development section and has little dev support. All this is starting to get me worried! I don't think I can hold up much longer without a new phone lol! It's been way too long! I LOVE my G2 still but would love a dual core model with MORE RAM and stuff. Sino8r is getting anxious! :D

Plus, y'all are forgetting the Samsung Captivate Glide is only on AT&T in the US. That means no 3G. Stupid US carriers and billions of different frequencies.

Last edited:

gtmaster303

Oct 19, 2010
It will be very interesting to see where all the G2 owners go when they need a new device. But as long as the dev scene is still hot here, I see no real reason to leave just yet. IF the 4G Slide starts to pick up once ICS is released, then I may consider it.
It's remarkable, the prices for that phone have already dropped as well to $250. Waiting for it to get around the $200 mark, and then I'll bite.

BTW, anyone looking for the absolute best value QWERTY phone, you can pick up a brand new 3G Slide from eBay for $140. And if you go through auctions, you can get it for less than that. Astonishing, considering G1 phones are going for just $30 less. Obviously all without contract.

(PS, this is not an advertisement or plug. Just a suggestion)

Last edited:

e183348

Jun 29, 2010
The droid 4 looks promising. Really love the design and the idea of a back lit keyboard. Just hoping that they will have GSM bands with the phone. Fingers crossed!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    QWERTY keyboard phones are unfortunately out of style nowadays.

So says you. Although declining, Blackberries still sell and I refuse to buy anything that does not have a physical QWERTY keyboard.
    At least I'm not the only one that feels a bit lonely out here.
    Android phones are being pumped out by the dozen, but there are very few QWERTY phones in the mix. I could probably count them all on one hand. Everyone uses either a GSM or CDMA network, so your options are halved right there as well

The only quality phones I have seen maybe worth trading my G2 in for, are the MyTouch 4G Slide and the Samsung Captivate Glide.

But they are still fairly new phones with no CM support yet....

---------- Post added at 08:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 AM ----------

to me, the only thing that matters is to make the soft buttons as hardware buttons, not the irritating touch

—————
    |RIROZIZO|
    —————

If that's what you want, then the 4G Slide is your only option. It's one of the only phones that still retains hardware keys.

I actually prefer hardware keys as well. But the 4G Slide wasn't out at the time, and I needed a little more horsepower than the 3G Slide I was carrying...
    speculatrix: Like most of T-Mobile's AWS smartphones, the myTouch 4G Slide works perfectly well on UMTS-2100 (I have one and am doing that now, as a matter of fact).

The missing frequency band (e.g. as compared to the Captivate Glide) is UMTS-900, but, based on my experience with T-Mobile's G1, G2 and, now, the myTouch 4G Slide, I'd say that band is a "nice-to-have" not a "must-have".

---------- Post added at 09:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 PM ----------

acwest: Keep your eye on TmoNews and some of the other sites that post T-Mobile promotions. They did a free (on-contract) deal on the MT4GS with Best Buy just after Christmas and I'm sure it will come around again at some point.