Galaxy Nexus Screen - What's Normal, What's Not. (Photos!)

Search This thread

Emama

Jul 30, 2010
Black dots are normal. I had them on my Galaxy S II too. There are supposed to be some without but I don't believe that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

My vibrant does not
but my Nexus S has one..
I dont care about that since even it is in lowest brightness it is not obvious.

However under the lowest brightness in Galaxy Nexus I can see that already at night,
it is VERY obvious when I take picture at night...which is not acceptable..

kolyan

Jan 8, 2008
Received Nexus, dont know if this is a defect but whites are very grainy. Compared to my One S and Nexus is just horrible. Whites are white without any grain on One S w/ automatic brightness.

kolyan

Jan 8, 2008
Mine only has pink issue at zero brightness but screen looks just horrible with automatic setting....due to grain, its the worst screen I have ever used on a smartphone.... including my tmo shadow

Emama

Jul 30, 2010
Ill be getting my third replacement hopefully tomorrow or Friday. The first two have the black dots, one with a horizontal black line through the middle. Either Google got a bad batch or perhaps this is the norm.
The quality of HD amoled screen is really :(

Even it does not have black dot..the grainy white color is really disappointed.

brian515

May 24, 2010
What's your production date?

Production date was C2 so February.

But here's the kicker. I called Google yesterday and they kindly overnighted me a new one which I just got. The new one is less grainy and doesn't have the lines, but it does have a green tinge towards the left edge, a blue tint towards the top, and some retention when the brightness below 20% or so. But here's the good part. I took another picture of a perfectly black screen. This new one has the SAME EXACT dots in the SAME EXACT places.

Old: imgur DOT com SLASH K5RiD.jpg

New: imgur DOT com SLASH dekMi.jpg

Samsung? More like Sam-suck.

Maybe #3 will be better, otherwise iPhone here I come!

PS The production date on my second one is also Februrary

Reactions: Formhault

Emama

Jul 30, 2010
what do you mean for the grainy white color?

see the 1st post 0% white

---------- Post added at 05:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:29 PM ----------

Production date was C2 so February.

But here's the kicker. I called Google yesterday and they kindly overnighted me a new one which I just got. The new one is less grainy and doesn't have the lines, but it does have a green tinge towards the left edge, a blue tint towards the top, and some retention when the brightness below 20% or so. But here's the good part. I took another picture of a perfectly black screen. This new one has the SAME EXACT dots in the SAME EXACT places.

Old: http://i.imgur.com/dekMi.jpg

New: http://i.imgur.com/K5RiD.jpg

Samsung? More like Sam-suck.

Maybe #3 will be better, otherwise iPhone here I come!

PS The production date on my second one is also Februrary
why dont u post the link directly? :rolleyes:

btw, I have one of those "二" mark too...
which is very obvious during the night time especially in the camera app

Reactions: brian515

jeNova-

Mar 16, 2011
Well I understand that people here are angry and pissed.
And although I am really glad I got a good one I can understand that and I think its just bull**** what Samsung hast done here to this awesome phone.

BUT the screen is in no way the "worst screen ever" first of all most issues are just on low brightness, so on normal brightness the screen shoud be fine right?
Well it sucks anyways, but the screen itself is gorgeous. And yes that its grainy on low brightness sucks, but is it really that big of a deal? I mean who uses his phone on such a low brightness? I dont even do that in the dark.

Emama

Jul 30, 2010
And although I am really glad I got a good one I can understand that and I think its just bull**** what Samsung hast done here to this awesome phone.

BUT the screen is in no way the "worst screen ever" first of all most issues are just on low brightness, so on normal brightness the screen shoud be fine right?
Well it sucks anyways, but the screen itself is gorgeous. And yes that its grainy on low brightness sucks, but is it really that big of a deal? I mean who uses his phone on such a low brightness? I dont even do that in the dark.

I put in lowest brightness most of the time in my Nexus S,
so I guess it will matter

kolyan

Jan 8, 2008

I dont even touch Brightness, mine is on Auto and its grainy as hell......simply unusable. I will settle when I dont see any grain at around 20% and up. My One S SAMOLED gets grainy only at 0% brightness....move slider 1 click to the right and most if not all grain goes away....whites are pure white, and blacks are pure black.....and its not even a flagship device with qHD pentile screen. How hard is it to fix a damn problem thats been there since launch date, or is it gonna be just like Nexus One were Google screwed all customers with cheap ****ty AMOLED ?

What is it with QA these days ? Is it too much to ask for a functioning phone ?

Last edited:

remedy1978

May 1, 2012
I dont even touch Brightness, mine is on Auto and its grainy as hell......simply unusable. I will settle when I dont see any grain at around 20% and up. My One S SAMOLED gets grainy only at 0% brightness....move slider 1 click to the right and most if not all grain goes away....whites are pure white, and blacks are pure black.....and its not even a flagship device with qHD pentile screen. How hard is it to fix a damn problem thats been there since launch date, or is it gonna be just like Nexus One were Google screwed all customers with cheap ****ty AMOLED ?

What is it with QA these days ? Is it too much to ask for a functioning phone ?

I had a Nexus One with an AMOLED display. It was 10 times better than the one on my Galaxy Nexus. Again, I wonder if this is a bad batch that Google is currently selling.

brian515

May 24, 2010
why dont u post the link directly? :rolleyes:

I'm a new member so XDA won't let me.

I had a Nexus One with an AMOLED display. It was 10 times better than the one on my Galaxy Nexus. Again, I wonder if this is a bad batch that Google is currently selling.

I'm thinking maybe it's the same thing. I had a Nexus One too and after 2 years that phone has no burn in or image retention issues. Even the gradients look better. Apparently effective today Google isn't doing the RMAs for the Nexuses bought from the Play store and instead Samsung is. That's unfortunate since Google overnighted me a new Nexus no questions asked last time. With Samsung I now have to wait a day for some person to call me back to authorize the RMA.

kolyan

Jan 8, 2008

Nexus One was fine, but it had bad multi touch issue.

I'm a new member so XDA won't let me.

I'm thinking maybe it's the same thing. I had a Nexus One too and after 2 years that phone has no burn in or image retention issues. Even the gradients look better. Apparently effective today Google isn't doing the RMAs for the Nexuses bought from the Play store and instead Samsung is. That's unfortunate since Google overnighted me a new Nexus no questions asked last time. With Samsung I now have to wait a day for some person to call me back to authorize the RMA.

Rep at Google said they are overnighting me my replacement Nexus....I suppose this is pure BS?

---------- Post added at 05:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:14 AM ----------
PS. screen also looks nasty on a black background. You can clearly see defects.

Last edited:

mingkee

After careful observing, mine has faint "banding" at extremely low brightness (lower than manual lowest) when using facebook app. Morerover, there is a pretty faint "ghost" when opening "Draw!". Notwithstanding that, these screen issues are not bad as the first post and they are acceptable.

Last edited:

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
After careful observing, mine has faint "banding" at extremely low brightness (lower than manual lowest) when using facebook app. Morerover, there is a pretty faint "ghost" when opening "Draw!". Notwithstanding that, these screen issues are not bad as the first post and they are acceptable.

this is normal.

kolyan

Jan 8, 2008
Spoke to Google about my promised exchange which was supposed to come in today and yet i dont even have a tracking number or any word that it was shipped out....

Rep said that perhaps they ran out of stock and now Samsung is handeling all claims, he also asked me if I would allow them to check my device before shipping it out to make sure there are no defects....i agreed to this.

UPDATE: just got my track. delivery tomorrow. fingers crossed

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Got the Nexus today and having no experience with the AMOLED screens (iPhones and EVO before) I'm not sure what is considered normal and what is defective. I know there are plenty of threads about this, but very few examples.

Whites (Brightness 0-100%)

whites-1.gif

Greys (Brightness 0-100%)

blacks-1.gif

More Texture (bad) left, Less Texture (good) right.

nexuscompare1.jpg

Viewing Angle - UPDATE: My new Nexus has much less tint when viewed at an angle. *Colors adjusted to match as close as possible in Adobe Lightroom - and they are very close.

compareViewingAngle.jpg
    nexuscompare2.jpg

Viewing Angle - At extreme angles the screen with produce an iridescent effect.

rainbownexus.jpg

Courtesy of TAMIM2007 - Left Galaxy nexus / right Galaxy 1

2c.JPG

Courtesy of iansmith

Galaxy Nexus OLED's with a black screen showing red and green pixels are indeed slightly lit even though it should be "black" (15 second exposure).

AMOLED-BLack.gif

Galaxy Nexus "black" vs LCD "black" (15 second exposure).

LCDvsAMOLED.gif

THESE ARE DEFECTS Exchange these phones... You shouldn't have to live like this!

Courtesy of asb123 - Tint Fade at 0% brightness.

tint_fade.jpg

Courtesy of staticx57 - Black spots on a dark screen. Very common issue, odds are your replacement screen will have these, too.

black_spots.jpg

Courtesy of blackhand1001 - Image Retention issues.

image_retention.jpg

Courtesy of tonnytech - Banding and Transparent Lines

banding.jpg
    lines.jpg

If other people want to add their own pictures for analysis I'll try and add them to the first post so people new to the AMOLED world can feel better about theirs/exchange for a new one.
    So here is correctly-calibrated screen 1st one on the left. See attachment.
    Just dont deal with screen issues that you dont notice every day and are not that big problem. If in 99.9% situations the screen is ok let i be, we are still not in age where everything will be perfect. I compared display with Iphone 4S and be happy guys. It has much better colors (not sure with white). Black is much much more black and other colors are more richer. 4.0.2 factory also increased minimal brightness so this paper pattern is no longer big deal. I was really worried about display when I bought it but now everything is ok. In the evenings I switch on the screen (to look at clock) and black merges with borders and I just see beatiful screen :). btw its just Super Amoled HD not plus. Plus should be still in development and maybe it will appear in Galaxy S3 I would rather if not (it feels better if you know there isnt better display). Some models have issues but I dont know smartphone or just phone which dont.
    I found this on another thread on a different forum and it does show the inconsistencies of the display.

If you turn down brightness all the way down to the left and can see how greys might become purple.

See attached images. These are 3 different models all with brightness at the lowest from the settings menu.

Of course on mine once I turn brightness up a bit it goes back to normal, so not sure if it really means much.
    I have corrected color balance using application "Screen Adjuster 1.6"
    (it's free application)

Settings
    Red +0
    Green +0
    Blue +6

Now the color balance is much better for me :)