[Q] Phone died, now won't boot

Search This thread

crazycd1

Jul 25, 2010
I have a nexus 5 that was rooted on stock rom. I have not made any changes recently to anything. I went to wake the phone and got nothing. I used vol down and power to get into bootloader. Selected start and then the phone sat on the google logo for 5 mins. I again tried vol down and power and it went off and now will not do anything with any button combo. I charged it overnight in case the battery was just dead. Nothing this morning. I then tried to plug it into the computer and it looked for drivers for QSUSB_BULK. Never seen this before. It also shows up in device manager and an unknown device with that same title. I assume that this is a "hard brick" but surprised it just came out of the blue... Is there any chance of saving the phone?:confused:

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com
I have a nexus 5 that was rooted on stock rom. I have not made any changes recently to anything. I went to wake the phone and got nothing. I used vol down and power to get into bootloader. Selected start and then the phone sat on the google logo for 5 mins. I again tried vol down and power and it went off and now will not do anything with any button combo. I charged it overnight in case the battery was just dead. Nothing this morning. I then tried to plug it into the computer and it looked for drivers for QSUSB_BULK. Never seen this before. It also shows up in device manager and an unknown device with that same title. I assume that this is a "hard brick" but surprised it just came out of the blue... Is there any chance of saving the phone?:confused:

Ah, that sucks! I'm a little confused though, because you said that the button combos do nothing now, but when you now plug it into the PC, it attempts to load different / incorrect drivers? Is the screen just black and it's trying to load the drivers still or...? Have you tried to manually load the drivers when it's showing the unknown device? Tried different USB cables and / or ports? I realize the phone is not acting correctly, but it's best to eliminate the easy things first.

crazycd1

Jul 25, 2010
I don't think its the screen, I saw it shut off then never do anything again. I have tried different cables and ports. The phone never booted back into android I know that much. Trying to load drivers or use nexus tool kit to look for adb or fastboot devices does nothing either.

I also do not get a light or anything on the screen when I plug in the charger.

Last edited:

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com
Yea, I wasn't thinking it was the screen itself. I was just wondering if now the phone is "on" and attempting to load drivers, albeit incorrectly or not at all, and the screen was still dark/off? What computer OS are you using? I'm assuming Windows due to the unknown device error, but which iteration: XP/Vista/7/8/8.1? What is the error when you manually try to load the drivers - not with a tool kit? Have you tried another cord / USB port / PC? Like I mentioned earlier, it's obviously a phone issue, but sometimes just trying these different things can at least get it to load the drivers correctly where you could at least fastboot the system back to the phone.

jsmasterx

Mar 24, 2012
anjou
Ok

You are on the qualcomm cpu strict mode.

Keep it like that for ten -15 minutes the battery will charge.

After that keep it plugued in and press the power button until you hear the sound that the device is disconnected.

After that vol down + power right after

Should work

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: crazycd1

plethorahil

Jun 12, 2013

After that keep it plugued in and press the power button until you hear the sound that the device is disconnected.

Should work
Now this answer seems logical and only hope to me ....and

i also think that these nexus phones can't hard brick that much easily ...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

BirchBarlow

Oct 6, 2013
Philadelphia
I don't think its the screen, I saw it shut off then never do anything again. I have tried different cables and ports. The phone never booted back into android I know that much. Trying to load drivers or use nexus tool kit to look for adb or fastboot devices does nothing either.

I also do not get a light or anything on the screen when I plug in the charger.

And there's your problem right there. You don't know what you're doing.

[TUTORIAL] How to flash a factory image | Return to stock | Unroot your Nexus 5

crazycd1

Jul 25, 2010

BirchBarlow

Oct 6, 2013
Philadelphia
I was not doing anything with the kit other they try other option to get the phone back on. I have not even installed an app on the phone in amonth it was running fine and just shut off an died. I was not playing with things I don't know. You post was an absolute waste...

Alright maybe I misunderstood what you did. Have you tried reinstalling the USB driver for fastboot?

crazycd1

Jul 25, 2010
I am using Windows 7. I tried to update the google driver in the device manager in windows but it will not accept it for that device. It only shows up as QSUSB_BULK. I have tried different cables and different ports. I have not tried another PC yet. I am going to set one up and try it just to eliminate PC issues.

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
I am using Windows 7. I tried to update the google driver in the device manager in windows but it will not accept it for that device. It only shows up as QSUSB_BULK. I have tried different cables and different ports. I have not tried another PC yet. I am going to set one up and try it just to eliminate PC issues.

Pretty sure your device took a dump on you. Rma is your only option.

DREWHAMM974

Dec 2, 2012
Athens, Alabama
Try holding the power button only for 15 seconds this is like the fail safe of pulling the battery out since we can't do that

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

crazycd1

Jul 25, 2010
Ok

Should work

Also while plugged in it always shows in the device manager and I never get the disconnect while holding in the power button.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok

Should work

That is pretty much what I am thinking!

Hate to see it but it does happen once in awhile. Emmc probably failed