[KERNEL] Community Kernel v8 - (7/17/11) - Voodoo sound v10

Search This thread

gtg465x

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 16, 2008
Features:

-Voodoo lagfix by supercurio! (all partitions converted to ext4)
-Voodoo sound by supercurio! (ported to the Infuse by the man himself!)
-CWM w/ ext4 support and Voodoo lagfix config options built in
-Root script built in (Just install Superuser and you're rooted!)
-Lowmemkiller tweaks
-Background writeout tweaks
-Tunneling support
-USB RNDIS support (required by some third party tethering apps)
-Init.d script support

v5 Changlog:
-Fixed ffc
-Fixed tunneling support
-Added USB RNDIS support (required by some third party tethering apps)

v7 Changlog:
-Added Voodoo sound (ported to Community Kernel by the man himself, supercurio, so you know it's going to work as intended)
Note: Please donate to supercurio. He took time to port his work to the Infuse and he doesn't even have the device. If he sees a sudden influx of donations, he'll know you appreciate his work and will want to port his future projects to the Infuse as well.

v8 Changlog:
-Updated Voodoo sound driver (v10)

READ CAREFULLY
1) The first boot after installing this kernel will take a LONG time. It's converting your partitions from RFS to ext4.
2) Before flashing, make sure you have at least 20% battery remaining. The file system conversion will stop if your battery level falls below 10%.
3) Before flashing anything that includes the stock kernel you should disable Voodoo lagfix. The stock kernel can't read ext4 file systems and won't boot if you forget to disable the lagfix. See below for instructions.

How To Disable Voodoo Lagfix (2 Methods):
-Method 1: Create a file or folder named "disable-lagfix" in the Voodoo folder on your internal SD card and reboot.
-Method 2: Boot into CWM recovery and select "voodoo lagfix" > "disable lagfix" > "reboot system now".

Flashing Instructions:
1) Make sure the drivers for the Infuse 4G are installed (installing Kies is the best way to accomplish this)
2) Download and unzip Odin_Community_Kernel_vX.zip
3) Run Odin3 v1.7.exe as administrator
4) Place your phone into download mode (power off and then press and hold both volume buttons while plugging in the USB cable)
5) Make sure your phone shows up in Odin as COM##
6) Click the PDA button and choose PDA_Community_Kernel_vXX.tar.md5
8) Press Start

Downloads:
Odin_Community_Kernel_v8.zip
Odin_stock_kernel.zip
CWM-community-kernel-v8.zip
CWM-stock-kernel.zip

Source:
https://github.com/gtg465x

Get involved with development!
While I do have a computer engineering degree and work as a software engineer, I admittedly don't have much experience with kernel development. Thus I want this kernel to be a community project so we can all learn from each other. If there's something you want to change, just fork, make your changes, and send me a pull request. Hopefully you can also build and test your changes before sending the pull request, but if you don't have an Infuse at the moment I will understand.

I do this for fun so you shouldn't feel any obligation to donate, but here's a link if you want to. Donations of any amount are very much appreciated.

Last edited:

hoofadoo

Aug 8, 2010
RI
Dude... You are so dedicated... THANKS!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using XDA App

bigbadwolf311

Apr 19, 2011
Do I need to flash this kernel with the update or is the kernel included with the update. I am coming from 1.3.0. Flashed from 1.2.1 just update version. Was I suppose to flash the kernel as well. Thanks for help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using XDA Premium App

hoofadoo

Aug 8, 2010
RI
Do I need to flash this kernel with the update or is the kernel included with the update. I am coming from 1.3.0. Flashed from 1.2.1 just update version. Was I suppose to flash the kernel as well. Thanks for help.

this is just the kernel, no need, its in 1.3.1. If you are running 1.3.0, you need to upgrade using the 1.3.0-1.3.1 upgrade odin flash. DO NOT use the 1.2.1-1.3.1 upgrade zip, it will brick you if you are on 1.3.0 and have lagfix enabled

bigbadwolf311

Apr 19, 2011
Thanks. One more question, if u don't mind. Do I need to disable lagfix when upgrading from 1.3 to 1.3.1

Artimus009

Apr 30, 2011
Jacksonvillle
Thanks. One more question, if u don't mind. Do I need to disable lagfix when upgrading from 1.3 to 1.3.1

No. Just hit the link to download the file. Extract. Put phone into download mode. Exe Odin. Click the PDA button. Select file. Hit start. Give it a minute or two. It will reboot. and then BAM....1.3.1 sir.

hoofadoo

Aug 8, 2010
RI
just a quick note, CWM red does not seem to be properly wiping system still... i wonder why

hoofadoo

Aug 8, 2010
RI
How exactly did you test that? What was the result?

I tried flashing refused and then the lagifx kernel from red cwm, and it froze on the samsung logo.. tried again, went into mounts and storage, tried formatting system, and it did it instantly, reflashed refused and lagfix again, still hung on the samsung logo....

Reflashed infused 1.3.1 at that point, watching the install, the format system portion of your installer script went extremely fast, nothing happened, it flashed, and booted that time. but nothing is getting formatted...

flashed back to stock, watched your install of infused 1.3.1 on green cwm, and the format system took considerably longer, actually doing it, and then it booted clean, and enabled lagfix... so something fishy is going on with red CWM...

gtg465x

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 16, 2008
I tried flashing refused and then the lagifx kernel from red cwm, and it froze on the samsung logo.. tried again, went into mounts and storage, tried formatting system, and it did it instantly, reflashed refused and lagfix again, still hung on the samsung logo....

Reflashed infused 1.3.1 at that point, watching the install, the format system portion of your installer script went extremely fast, nothing happened, it flashed, and booted that time. but nothing is getting formatted...

flashed back to stock, watched your install of infused 1.3.1 on green cwm, and the format system took considerably longer, actually doing it, and then it booted clean, and enabled lagfix... so something fishy is going on with red CWM...

Wiping system finishing fast just means your system partition was already empty. This is the expected behavior.

Regardless, I don't doubt that there could be some issues with red. We'll see if the kernel I post tomorrow fixes anything.

Also, not sure what h8rifts current updater-script looks like, but he may need to update it to be compatible with red CWM.

hoofadoo

Aug 8, 2010
RI
Wiping system finishing fast just means your system partition was already empty. This is the expected behavior.

Regardless, I don't doubt that there could be some issues with red. We'll see if the kernel I post tomorrow fixes anything.

Also, not sure what h8rifts current updater-script looks like, but he may need to update it to be compatible with red CWM.

Bionix flashed from red cwm is bricking too from infused 1.3.1... For the same reason... Its not wiping system

kleeman7

Nov 4, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S20
My red one works fine. I flashed bionix 1.2 which failed (still), so I wiped and reinstalled infused 1.3.1 full, it worked great. When you wipe do you select wipe data in cwm or just flash rom? Just flashing has never seemed to clear data for me. I always wipe data option in cwm. The only issue I see with cwm is rom manager not sending you into red, I deleted update.zip and rom manager stopped booting to cwm all together.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Features:

-Voodoo lagfix by supercurio! (all partitions converted to ext4)
    -Voodoo sound by supercurio! (ported to the Infuse by the man himself!)
    -CWM w/ ext4 support and Voodoo lagfix config options built in
    -Root script built in (Just install Superuser and you're rooted!)
    -Lowmemkiller tweaks
    -Background writeout tweaks
    -Tunneling support
    -USB RNDIS support (required by some third party tethering apps)
    -Init.d script support

v5 Changlog:
    -Fixed ffc
    -Fixed tunneling support
    -Added USB RNDIS support (required by some third party tethering apps)

v7 Changlog:
    -Added Voodoo sound (ported to Community Kernel by the man himself, supercurio, so you know it's going to work as intended)
    Note: Please donate to supercurio. He took time to port his work to the Infuse and he doesn't even have the device. If he sees a sudden influx of donations, he'll know you appreciate his work and will want to port his future projects to the Infuse as well.

v8 Changlog:
    -Updated Voodoo sound driver (v10)

READ CAREFULLY
    1) The first boot after installing this kernel will take a LONG time. It's converting your partitions from RFS to ext4.
    2) Before flashing, make sure you have at least 20% battery remaining. The file system conversion will stop if your battery level falls below 10%.
    3) Before flashing anything that includes the stock kernel you should disable Voodoo lagfix. The stock kernel can't read ext4 file systems and won't boot if you forget to disable the lagfix. See below for instructions.

How To Disable Voodoo Lagfix (2 Methods):
    -Method 1: Create a file or folder named "disable-lagfix" in the Voodoo folder on your internal SD card and reboot.
    -Method 2: Boot into CWM recovery and select "voodoo lagfix" > "disable lagfix" > "reboot system now".

Flashing Instructions:
    1) Make sure the drivers for the Infuse 4G are installed (installing Kies is the best way to accomplish this)
    2) Download and unzip Odin_Community_Kernel_vX.zip
    3) Run Odin3 v1.7.exe as administrator
    4) Place your phone into download mode (power off and then press and hold both volume buttons while plugging in the USB cable)
    5) Make sure your phone shows up in Odin as COM##
    6) Click the PDA button and choose PDA_Community_Kernel_vXX.tar.md5
    8) Press Start

Downloads:
    Odin_Community_Kernel_v8.zip
    Odin_stock_kernel.zip
    CWM-community-kernel-v8.zip
    CWM-stock-kernel.zip

Source:
    https://github.com/gtg465x

Get involved with development!
    While I do have a computer engineering degree and work as a software engineer, I admittedly don't have much experience with kernel development. Thus I want this kernel to be a community project so we can all learn from each other. If there's something you want to change, just fork, make your changes, and send me a pull request. Hopefully you can also build and test your changes before sending the pull request, but if you don't have an Infuse at the moment I will understand.

I do this for fun so you shouldn't feel any obligation to donate, but here's a link if you want to. Donations of any amount are very much appreciated.

I really need this odin kernel file too. I am stuck in a semi brick state.

Does anyone have the odin kernel file?
    Please post a link to it (dropbox is easy and free)
    Thanks,
    D.

try this http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62970654/XDA/Odin_Community_Voodoo_Kernel_v8.zip
    Dude... You are so dedicated... THANKS!!!

Infused v1.3.1 is uploading as well. Need. More. Bandwidth.
    I think you need. more. sleep.

Sleep? What's that and how do I flash?