[MOD][ROOT] VZW GN2 GSM Unlock - Add APN Data - Remove Non-Verizon SIM Message

Search This thread

hugeyeti

Feb 2, 2013
Somewhere warm
My Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II has been successfully unlocked, jailbroken by CASUAL about 20 minutes ago. How exactly do I begin flashing a rom/mod? I need to input APN settings since I will be traveling to several countries in Asia (changing SIMS) and I rather not modify the .xml file manually so Option 1 is best for me at this time. I am fairly new at this so please break it down as much as you can. As always, any input would be appreciated. Thanks. P.S. I downloaded the apn editor.zip and ready to begin flashing.

Never mind the post. My phone apps are not deodexed (I checked system/apps with Root explorer) So option 1 will not work. Sounds like I have to do option 2. These VZ bastards... I tell you.... hiding APN settings... sheesh.

YBCold

Jul 3, 2010
Hello all,

I was hoping someone could help walk me through the root process and adjusting the APN setting. If anyone is will please pm me.

I have flashed several tables, but never a phone and can't afford to screw this up.

Thanks,

nhpctech

Jan 13, 2011
Manchester, NH
AOSP - CM10.1 + VZW Galaxy Note 2

I can get everything to work with VZW Galaxy Note 2 and Net10 on Stock, deodexed and rooted rom from Scott, but cannot get it to work with AOSP / CM10.1 when editing the apn xml file. Any reason why it wont work? Thanks in advance :)

shanusmarty

Sep 4, 2008
i am using Vzw Note 2, i am unable to use it on Vodafone GSM in India,Asia, out of the box as suggested, when i insert the sim, it
shows the network, but i m unable to call or recieve calls, right now i am on stock 4.1.1

hoodratchandler

Feb 23, 2012
I have an AT&T note 2 I want to use on verizon. Is this possible?

Sent from my GT-P3113 using xda app-developers app

Nolenm04

Jan 29, 2011
wichita
Anyone getting hspa on tmobile? If so how? Ive gone through the thread and have found nothing. I edited the apns and everythinf

Sent from my SGH-T889 using XDA Premium HD app

kintwofan

Jul 1, 2011
Irmo, SC
OnePlus 7T
Sony Xperia 1 III
Anyone getting hspa on tmobile? If so how? Ive gone through the thread and have found nothing. I edited the apns and everythinf

Sent from my SGH-T889 using XDA Premium HD app

That's because it didn't sorry the 1900 AWS bands that t mobile runs on. I've heard in the reframed areas it works, but check this out to try and enable it. The dev told me in worst car just restore your backup qcn

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=35933247

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

BartJJ

Mar 26, 2010
No the at&t note 2 doesn't have cdma radios.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

pocketbook

Feb 5, 2010
I don't know how I missed this, but (at least in JellyBeans rom) you can simply add an APN via the context menu button. Not sure if anyone else knew this.

EVOme

Jun 3, 2010
I have an active ATT S3 and an active VZW N2. I forward all calls and texts from S3 to N2 via apps. Can I really switch the sims and now have the ATT phone number on my N2? I am on the stock odexed rom that came with N2...anything flashable for that?

Last edited:

RomsWell

Jul 10, 2011
Venice
I have an active ATT S3 and an active VZW N2. I forward all calls and texts from S3 to N2 via apps. Can I really switch the sims and now have the ATT phone number on my N2? I am on the stock odexed rom that came with N2...anything flashable for that?

Scotts ace rom supports atnt. Just flash, add sim and run with it. Its the International version . U select carrier in aroma.

78triton

May 23, 2011
Taunton, ma
t-mobile radio

Does anyone know if flashing a tmobile radio would help or brick the verizon note 2. I know i was flashing it on my att note 1

donbudafuko

Jan 23, 2011
Ok so what does this actually do...sry if this is a noob ?....do I need a diff sim card or can I just do this an get better service or can I use this to rom on diff tower an if so will I still get 4g.....im on verizon note 2...

Last edited:

78triton

May 23, 2011
Taunton, ma
Does anyone know if flashing a tmobile radio would help or brick the verizon note 2. I know i was flashing it on my att note 1

Ok I got my answer it is not needed I just need to be in a area with the right towers. The closer i got to boston the more 4g i got.

I wondered if it possible to use T-mobile new lte service?

Tmobiles lte will not be live for awhile and i belive the answer would be no. Becuase you cant get At&t lte on it

aimfire72

Nov 26, 2010
San Jose
T-Mobile just flipped the switch for LTE by me, works on my Nexus 4 great. Tried it with the Note 2 and best I can get is H+, even with the fast.t-mobile.com apn settings.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Overview:
    There are a number of threads out there discussing if the VZW GN2 is carrier unlocked and what methods work, etc and I am creating this thread to pull it all together.

First and foremost, the VZW GN2 comes SIM unlocked out of the box. It is global ready and you can technically put in any SIM (assuming it is active) and not need an unlock code or the unlock method you have seen in other posts (AT&T or T-Mobile variants). This includes domestic carriers such as AT&T and T-mobile. Also voice should work without any changes, however, data will not work unless you add APN data.

Verizon chose to only put their APN data on the phone and block the ability to add APN data via settings. Most likely so you use their global services to make more $$$.

How to add APN data:
    In order to get data working you have to add carrier specific data to the apns-conf.xml file. While you may have been able to do this is in the past on other devices under settings, VZW has blocked this.

Method 1:
    See Adrynalyne's post below (Post #2) for a flashable mod (via custom recovery) that will enable the Add APN menu by removing Verizon's block. (For deodexed roms only)

Method 2:
    1. Ensure your phone is rooted
    2. adb pull /system/etc/apns-conf.xml
    3. Add the carrier data to apns-conf.xml with your favorite text/xml editor and save
    4. adb push your modified apn-conf.xml file back to /sdcard/
    5. Copy this file back to /system/etc/ and change permissions (I use root explorer)
    6. Power down and change your SIM card (AT&T, T-mobile, whatever) if you hadn't already done so
    7. Power back on and go to Settings -> More Settings -> Mobile Networks -> Access Point Names (if done properly you should see the APN data you entered for your respective carrier).
    8. Select one of the APN listings and then you should have working data
    9. Profit

VZW & AT&T APN Settings:
    A working example so you can see how I added additional lines at the beginning for AT&T 3G/HSDPA+/Tether/MMS
    http://pastebin.com/ms7a07sE

Removing the Non-Verizon SIM message :
    This will occur on roms that include Samsung's Setup Wizard (including stock) - all others can ignore

Method 1:
    - Freeze "Setup wizard 1.0" in Titanium Backup

Method 2:
    See imnuts' post below (Post #4) regarding replacing a file (for deodexed roms only)​

Credits:
    Adrynalyne: Removing VZW's lame Add APN block
    GermanGuy: AT&T APN data
    GitNick: Helping me tinker around and finding the secret menus
    imnuts: Removing non-VZW SIM nag and APN list from international GN2
    thevsg: Testing SinTel sim to confirm unlock with foreign carrier

NOTE: I am not responsible for any issues caused by tinkering around with this due to the nature of root and messing with /system. Use this at your own risk and ask someone if you have any question before doing something that may mess up your device.
    Ok, I have confirmed this to work, and works well with imnut's mod to remove the sim warning.

http://www.mediafire.com/?wqmad2ypgsyd75z

This enables the apn editor under settings.

Go to Settings, More Settings, Mobile Networks, Access Point Names, menu button.

This is a flashable mod! :D

Screenshot_2012-12-11-22-51-29.png

Note to rom devs: Feel free to use this, but give credit where due. Trust me, I will know if you kang it ;)
    If anyone is interested, I combined the International Note 2 (N7100), AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon apns-conf.xml file to create what is hopefully a fairly complete APNs list. Not saying it will work for your carrier, or that it works at all (remember, I don't have a device yet ;)), but people can use it if they wish. I put it on Pastebin for everyone's viewing pleasure and you can get it here.
    I hate double posting, but if people also want to get rid of the annoying ongoing notification when using a non-VZW SIM card, I've found the culprit and fixed it. Download this apk for a deodexed ROM and replace the original in /system/app/, then reboot. Make sure that /system is mounted as read/write before copy/pasting, and also that you're on a deodexed ROM. After copying it over, reboot and you shouldn't have the ongoing notification anymore.
    Thanks for your work. I flashed it in recovery. However, under Mobile Network when I hit menu, my only option is reset to default just like before. I'm on Beans V2 ROM. Any help will be appreciated.

Total derpage on my part.

Here you go. I also updated original post.

http://www.mediafire.com/?wqmad2ypgsyd75z