[Q] Removing Google Apps & Default Apps

Search This thread

eijnaix

Mar 25, 2013
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I'm just wondering if removing some of the default that come pre installed google apps like gmail, playbook, play games ...or even the default calendar apps is going have any impact on the perfomance on the whole phone system or even the battery life.

It's kinda irritating to see apps that's in the app drawer that i dont use....plan to uninstall them off with titanium backup

BlueC78

Aug 15, 2012
I'm just wondering if removing some of the default that come pre installed google apps like gmail, playbook, play games ...or even the default calendar apps is going have any impact on the perfomance on the whole phone system or even the battery life.

It's kinda irritating to see apps that's in the app drawer that i dont use....plan to uninstall them off with titanium backup

if they aren't running and never run (in the foreground or background) they won't impact battery life. if they are running you could stop them or freeze them with titanium. the only other difference they make is cluttering up the app drawer and taking up space in the storage.

eijnaix

Mar 25, 2013
Google Pixel 6 Pro
if they aren't running and never run (in the foreground or background) they won't impact battery life. if they are running you could stop them or freeze them with titanium. the only other difference they make is cluttering up the app drawer and taking up space in the storage.

thanks for the info, but removing them would be a better ...yeah ?

Lennyuk

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 26, 2010
Suffolk, England
thanks for the info, but removing them would be a better ...yeah ?

Removing them, if you never use them won't make any difference at all, you might as well use the "hide" feature in the app drawer.

Removing some LG apps might make a difference, as some of them run even if you never actually use them, but the google apps will only run if you actually open them.

On a side note, I never understand why people buy android phones (especially top of the line, flagship phones!) and then remove almost every trace of Google from them, isn't it kind of defeating the whole point?

eijnaix

Mar 25, 2013
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Removing them, if you never use them won't make any difference at all, you might as well use the "hide" feature in the app drawer.

Removing some LG apps might make a difference, as some of them run even if you never actually use them, but the google apps will only run if you actually open them.

On a side note, I never understand why people buy android phones (especially top of the line, flagship phones!) and then remove almost every trace of Google from them, isn't it kind of defeating the whole point?

I uses dropbox over google drive......dont need google music or play bookstore... but uses youtube, map a lot though

I don't suppose android is just about google...isnt it ? :eek:

Protagoras

Feb 26, 2014
London

That's the beauty of Android over iOS: you don't HAVE to use Google apps if you don't want to. Being able to uninstall any app should come by default on all ROMs.

I remember the big trial Microsoft has lost when it tried to force all users to use Internet Explorer in Windows. In Europe, they had to add it optionally, and provide way to remove it / download alternative software. Something similar might force Google to do the same in the future (and Apple, LG, Samsung, HTC, etc.)

misiokicio

Jul 4, 2010
Bathgate
I uses dropbox over google drive......dont need google music or play bookstore... but uses youtube, map a lot though

I don't suppose android is just about google...isnt it ? :eek:

exactly where is my point too, dropbox, youtube and google maps, well gmail etc, but dont wanna use g music, newstand, search, google plus etc. there should be an option to delete them without root!