Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,924 Members 45,169 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Why the Desire S is the best phone around at the moment!

Tip us?

colonel
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 39
Thumbs up Why the Desire S is the best phone around at the moment!

If you look at my signature you can see how many phones I have had.
In fact I have had many more, just can't be bothered to update my signature.

So why the Desire S ?

I mean its a mid-range phone right!. No swanky dual core or 1920x1280 screen or nvidia GTX 3D chip, etc.

Well heres the thing.

There will always be people that need the latest for something, maybe a game, maybe a massive screen for browsing (like they can't browse at the office or at home) but the majority of people have two usages of a phone:

1. A Jobbing phone. A phone that is actually used to make phones calls alot of the day. Here a Nokia 6700 or lower trumps the bill!
2. An email phone that can be used to browse abit and occasionally use an app

The problem is that no phone can do both well. Simply because a phone that is too big for 1 can be too small for 2. A phone that does 2 soaks up the battery, etc, etc.

So why the Desire S ?

For many years I have been hoping for the following to come together and it has never been delivered to date:

1. Smaller/lighter device
2. Large screen, say 3.5" or bigger, that goes to the edges. In glass mind, not plastic!
3. Metal body, with quality feel and joy of ownership
4. Touch buttons. Yeah, I like real buttons more, but at the end of the day they get dirty and are mechanical and thus the weak point of the phone
5. Clear bright screen, at least 800x480
6. All the mod cons. Android 2.3 is clearly a very together OS (although WP7 and iOS are great as well)
7. Store apps on the SD card, which is replacable
8. Front facing video camera
9. FM radio (bye bye iphone)
10. Great browser, mutiple emails accounts
11. A super-large and useful list of apps
12. A battery that can get me through 1 business day and 2 weekend days
13. Good quality phone calls

Well the Desire S is it.
It ticks all the boxes.
It is compact, stylish and beautiful to hold and it works slick enough to forget things about speed.
Its a phone I can really use, it just works and fast!

No unecessary 4" screen, no weight, no silly proprietry usb connector, free cloud to store contacts and diary, reasonable battery life, enough memory internally and a replacable card.

Sure I would like double the battery life, double the cpus, but do I really need them ? no.

From the total pain of the HTC Universal through all the incarnations of WM and iOS, I feel I have finally come home

at least for another 6 months .......

PS: I can strongly recommend the "case-mate barely there" hard shell. A bit difficult to get on but protects the back and sides well without adding bulk to the phone or detracting from the shape
Xperia Z2
Previous: Note 3, iPhone 5s, HTC One, Nexus 4, Sony Xperia P, Samsung G SIII, Galaxy Nexus, Nokia 710, Galaxy S, Xperia Ray, iPhone 4s, Dell Venue Pro, BB 9800, Sensation, ChaCha, Desire S, Mozart, BB9780, HD7, Desire, Nokia N97 Mini, iPhone 4, Mini HD, Legend, BB9000, Nokia E72, Nexus 1, Touch HD, Snap, Click, BB9700, T-Mob Pulse (U8220), iphone 3GS, Diamond 2, Nokia E63 & E71, Palm Treo Pro, Magic, S740, Touch Pro, Jade, Diamond, x7500, Elf, S730,S710, S620, Universal, Hermes
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to colonel For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

adridu59
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,282
+1, I love HTC Build & Sense, especially when I see plastic phones with crappy UI like LG or Samsung phones! (just my personal opinion)
Follow me on Github.

Prehistoric phones > Nokia 5230 > Xperia Neo (MT15i) [4.1.B.0.587]

NexusCrazy
Old
Thanks Meter 68

DONATE TO ME
Got to agree 100%. Ive had every iphone and both of googles phones i do say the Desire S is like having a combination of both but even better. Althought I dont need to root the Desire S as much, as it does and looks very well, a big part of me really wants it rooted. Now that would be having my cake and eating it aswell ;)

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App
Get a free GifGaf SIM card and get unlimited texts and internet for just 12 on Pay as you Go just CLICK HERE

Samsung Galaxy SIII - Dual Boot - 1st ROM: WanamLite v3.7 - 2nd ROM: Foxhound Silver 07 - SiyahKernel v1.7b1 - GM dualboot recovery
Samsung Nexus S - JellyBean Rooted
[R.I.P]
ZTE Blade/San Fransisco - Ginger Stir Fry Beta 19, 2.3.4.
LG Optimus ME P350 - Pecamod_#Metapod.zip themed.
HTC Desire S - CoreDroid 2.3.3 - S-OFF.
HTC Nexus One - CyanogenMod 7 Nightlys.
[/R.I.P]

nodeffect
Old
Thanks Meter 212
great review, but there's a question.... does the screen scratches without using the screen protector ?

.sh4d0w.
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodeffect View Post
great review, but there's a question.... does the screen scratches without using the screen protector ?
It has Gorilla Glass.... it shouldn't scratch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibs7E...101BE&index=12
Not sure it will still work after that..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KAc_...101BE&index=14

And if you realy want to break it here is what to do:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYgq0...101BE&index=13
The Following User Says Thank You to .sh4d0w. For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nodeffect
Old
Thanks Meter 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sh4d0w. View Post
It has Gorilla Glass.... it shouldn't scratch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibs7E...101BE&index=12
Not sure it will still work after that..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KAc_...101BE&index=14

And if you realy want to break it here is what to do:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYgq0...101BE&index=13
but are all gorilla glass the same? The one the droid x has, maybe have a better glass quality?

.sh4d0w.
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
but are all gorilla glass the same? The one the droid x has, maybe have a better glass quality?
That i don't know...
What i know for sure is that the glass is produced by the same company,
and that Desire S is mentioned on the list of devices with gorilla glass.

http://www.corninggorillaglass.com/#featured-products

Zinken
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Here is a video with the actual Desire S.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjNm4...9271C9&index=1

No hammer but good enough for me
AMOR ET FIDES

ben_pyett
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,902
Quote:
It may have gorilla glass (its on their website), but can appear to scratch.

As I've read within this forum and my own phone has proven....there is a layer on top of the gorilla glass, effectively a coating which can scratch....as my has. But the scratches are tiny and only visible from certain angles and therefore don't inhibit the viewing experience.

I must also agree and echo the thoughts of @colonel it is a great phone!
Nexus 5 : hammerhead
Rom (Kernel): Mahdi-Rom 4.4.4 [v2.7 03/09/2014 (ART)] (Franco [#r63-test]) root: [superSU v2.02] TWRP
Retired - Nexus 4 (standby phone), HTC Desire S, HTC Touch Diamond 2, HTC Dual Touch, HTC TyTN, Innumerable NOKIAs

oftiklaus
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Question To root or not to root....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusCrazy View Post
Got to agree 100%. Ive had every iphone and both of googles phones i do say the Desire S is like having a combination of both but even better. Althought I dont need to root the Desire S as much, as it does and looks very well, a big part of me really wants it rooted. Now that would be having my cake and eating it aswell ;)

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App
+1 to that! There was a time when I would change a ROM every two days (...good ol' WM times...) but now i'm not so sure. For three weeks now I've been installing and uninstalling, browsing, playing, watching video and I haven't had one crash! The phone only seldomly lagged a bit when I tested how many apps I can run at the same time. But just for the fun of it I hope someone will find a software way to S-OFF our beloved Desire S.