Why the Desire S is the best phone around at the moment!
If you look at my signature you can see how many phones I have had.
In fact I have had many more, just can't be bothered to update my signature.
So why the Desire S ?
I mean its a mid-range phone right!. No swanky dual core or 1920x1280 screen or nvidia GTX 3D chip, etc.
Well heres the thing.
There will always be people that need the latest for something, maybe a game, maybe a massive screen for browsing (like they can't browse at the office or at home) but the majority of people have two usages of a phone:
1. A Jobbing phone. A phone that is actually used to make phones calls alot of the day. Here a Nokia 6700 or lower trumps the bill!
2. An email phone that can be used to browse abit and occasionally use an app
The problem is that no phone can do both well. Simply because a phone that is too big for 1 can be too small for 2. A phone that does 2 soaks up the battery, etc, etc.
So why the Desire S ?
For many years I have been hoping for the following to come together and it has never been delivered to date:
1. Smaller/lighter device
2. Large screen, say 3.5" or bigger, that goes to the edges. In glass mind, not plastic!
3. Metal body, with quality feel and joy of ownership
4. Touch buttons. Yeah, I like real buttons more, but at the end of the day they get dirty and are mechanical and thus the weak point of the phone
5. Clear bright screen, at least 800x480
6. All the mod cons. Android 2.3 is clearly a very together OS (although WP7 and iOS are great as well)
7. Store apps on the SD card, which is replacable
8. Front facing video camera
9. FM radio (bye bye iphone)
10. Great browser, mutiple emails accounts
11. A super-large and useful list of apps
12. A battery that can get me through 1 business day and 2 weekend days
13. Good quality phone calls
Well the Desire S is it.
It ticks all the boxes.
It is compact, stylish and beautiful to hold and it works slick enough to forget things about speed.
Its a phone I can really use, it just works and fast!
No unecessary 4" screen, no weight, no silly proprietry usb connector, free cloud to store contacts and diary, reasonable battery life, enough memory internally and a replacable card.
Sure I would like double the battery life, double the cpus, but do I really need them ? no.
From the total pain of the HTC Universal through all the incarnations of WM and iOS, I feel I have finally come home
at least for another 6 months .......
PS: I can strongly recommend the "case-mate barely there" hard shell. A bit difficult to get on but protects the back and sides well without adding bulk to the phone or detracting from the shape
Previous: iPhone 5s, HTC One, Nexus 4, Sony Xperia P, Samsung G SIII, Galaxy Nexus, Nokia 710, Galaxy S, Xperia Ray, iPhone 4s, Dell Venue Pro, BB 9800, Sensation, ChaCha, Desire S, Mozart, BB9780, HD7, Desire, Nokia N97 Mini, iPhone 4, Mini HD, Legend, BB9000, Nokia E72, Nexus 1, Touch HD, Snap, Click, BB9700, T-Mob Pulse (U8220), iphone 3GS, Diamond 2, Nokia E63 & E71, Palm Treo Pro, Magic, S740, Touch Pro, Jade, Diamond, x7500, Elf, S730,S710, S620, Universal, Hermes