XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Just got my Sprint contract terminated for "illegal tethering"

Tip us?

inflewence
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default Just got my Sprint contract terminated for "illegal tethering"

Been with them for 12years and had the same number. Trying to move to another carrier. It sucks because they only gave me till next week to port my number or I LOSE IT. Looks like I'm going to get a rinky dink phone until I can get a upgrade. Going to miss my Evo This number is on everything so I must do it. My business will suffer if I don't get this number.

I was up in arms but I am a firm believer in karma and I did tether and got caught so WTF am I going to do. In the letter it said you are "using it as a modem and tethering with out a tethering plan".

Just wanted to ask, can they really tell, or is it just data usage they are going by.

alaman68
Old
Thanks Meter 842
do you mind me asking what ROM and what tethering app you were using?

Sorry man, that totally blows. How much data did you blow through? I remember people getting letters after going through a few hundred Gigs a month.

inflewence
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaman68 View Post
do you mind me asking what ROM and what tethering app you were using?

Sorry man, that totally blows. How much data did you blow through? I remember people getting letters after going through a few hundred Gigs a month.
I'm using Derp 3d and I'm using wireless tether for root. In March I used 109gb and in April I used like 102gb. I use Hulu plus and I think thats the's reason. I've been doing it for 2 years with netflix, my pc and video games but just got hulu 3 months ago, and now this. SMH.

tgruendler
Old
Thanks Meter 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by inflewence View Post
I'm using Derp 3d and I'm using wireless tether for root. In March I used 109gb and in April I used like 102gb. I use Hulu plus and I think thats the's reason. I've been doing it for 2 years with netflix, my pc and video games but just got hulu 3 months ago, and now this. SMH.
That is why you got cancelled. Is that all 4g data? Because if it is 3G, even at 1MB, it would take you 12 days of constant downloading to get to 109GB of data.
Epic Touch 4G
ROM: RUJELUS22 The Blu Kuban FL27 1.0.5.1
Kernel: Kuban_Kernal V0.2.0
Evo 3D Running SOS M ICS (smashed)
Evo 4G Running Stock Rooted. (trade-in)
Viewsonic G-Tablet Running CM7 Nightlys. (sold)
Speed below 4G in St. Louis full bars

X_N_
Old
Thanks Meter 468

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
As said above that is really excessive so most likely it's not more of a They found out but more of a Using Way to much data and so they cut off your data.. Now as how they found out.. Most likely they assumed that its basically impossible to use that much data on a Phone no matter how hard you try.. But most likely it's labeled "illegal tethering" For the fact that if you have unlimited data then they have no real reason to cancel your contract other than for illegal tethering if you don't have tethering on your contract.

Follow Me on Twitter @X_N_

Circle Me on Google+ xN

Need a Banner done for your Rom? Send me a PM!

My Work

Icon Pack

Google Music Redesigned

Poweramp Theme

Sense 4.0 Theme

The Tomatoe Bundle

Like my work? Buy me a Candy Bar or Hit the Thanks Button.

phillip1953
Old
Thanks Meter 46
Been tethering my EVO's for a couple years. First my EVO 4g with my laptop, now my "retired" 4g with my EVO 3d. I watch netflix and surf the web on my 4g. No problems yet. So...just how much data have you been using?

Sent from my PC36100 using xda premium

gpz1100
Old
Thanks Meter 275
Most users don't use that much on a cable/dsl connection, let alone wireless.

I'd agree with sprint, that is excessive.

Just get the cheapest prepaid setup you can find until you figure out where you're going to move to.
Page Plus Flashing - True 3G (evdo)
Free Page Plus Ports/Activation - PM for more info

Vzw Samsung S4 - Page Plus

shortydoggg
Old
Thanks Meter 188
Quote:
Yea, that sucks. You were terminated more for the excessive data use than for tethering. Everyone who I know of who had their contracts cancelled for tethering were also using large amounts of data. They likely would have got you even if you were paying for it, as were many of them. They just used the tethering excuse to try and make an example.

Sent from my PC36100 using xda premium

alaman68
Old
Thanks Meter 842
"can they tell?" interesting question... Did you use HTC DEV to root your phone and can Sprint track downloaded apps (wireless tether) from the market? They could probably track those and put 2 and 2 together.

your data usage is very high and noticeable.

inflewence
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaman68 View Post
"can they tell?" interesting question... Did you use HTC DEV to root your phone and can Sprint track downloaded apps (wireless tether) from the market? They could probably track those and put 2 and 2 together.

your data usage is very high and noticeable.
I used unrevoked when it was first available, and I didn't download it off the market. I agree it was excessive. Probably why I'm not too upset more concerned with my number I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgruendler View Post
That is why you got cancelled. Is that all 4g data? Because if it is 3G, even at 1MB, it would take you 12 days of constant downloading to get to 109GB of data.
Yep all 4g

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpz1100 View Post
Most users don't use that much on a cable/dsl connection, let alone wireless.

I'd agree with sprint, that is excessive.

Just get the cheapest prepaid setup you can find until you figure out where you're going to move to.

That's what I'm planning to do thanks. Just found out I can port my number to prepaid then to another carrier. Someone just gave me a net10 phone. Funny compared to my Evo but got to do what I got to do for now. I was just about to get the 4g lte too, but was waiting for it to be rooted LMAO!!
The Following User Says Thank You to inflewence For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]