View Poll Results: Do you plan to purchase a OUYA gaming console?
Yes. 214 47.87%
No. 107 23.94%
Haven't decided. 126 28.19%
Voters: 447. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply

The OUYA console... is it doomed? Inquiring minds want to know...

OP paleh0rse

27th July 2012, 07:27 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 633
 
1,747 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Donate to Me
I just wanted to bring up a few thoughts I've had about the upcoming OUYA console, and see what you guys think.

1. I still don't really understand how/why all of this couldn't have been handled by simply creating a GoogleTV-specific OUYA app...?

2. Besides the OUYA's dedicated game-centric market, and their custom controller, what does one really gain that is not already available in the Android ecosystem?

3. How do they plan to prevent their entire custom OS (Or their individual apps) from being ported to other Tegra-based GTV devices in the future? Or, given their outright support for hacking the device, would they even care?

4. And then there's this: Google reportedly making a Game Center for Android
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Googl...droid_id30026/
If one was to pair the above (hypothetical) "GTV Game Center" app with a Google-branded "Nexus Controller," wouldn't the entire OUYA become pointless? Would you prefer an app/service that is fully integrated with the entire Google ecosystem, rather than a custom version of the OS and functionality that are outside of (or weakly tied to) said ecosystem?

That said, I still plan to buy a OUYA, but only because I'm a sucker for shiny new toys -- especially of the Android variety!

What are your thoughts? Am I "over thinking" this console? Do you think it will be made pointless by an evolution of the GTV?

I'm just looking for friendly debate, so please keep it civil...
Last edited by paleh0rse; 27th July 2012 at 08:28 PM.
28th July 2012, 12:51 AM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 633
 
1,747 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Donate to Me
150+ views and nobody has any thoughts on these questions? lol...ok, fair enough, was worth a shot.
Last edited by paleh0rse; 28th July 2012 at 04:07 AM.
29th July 2012, 05:30 PM   |  #3  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
3 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
I think best case scenario they can hope for is becoming a niche platform for android-nerds. Why? Because there is no market for such device. Casual gamers are quite happy with what they get from smartphone industry and PC-facebook-gaming stuff. More hard-core gamers will want bleeding-edge graphics and high-end performance. Without any real GPU on board OUYA will just stay behind. From the software standpoint, Android is a great system but, with sandboxing and multitasking environment, it is not very well prepared for running performance-demanding games.

But still.. I think I will buy it.
The Following User Says Thank You to atoktoto For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th July 2012, 06:28 PM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Flag Pontypridd
Thanks Meter: 245
 
1,408 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by atoktoto

I think best case scenario they can hope for is becoming a niche platform for android-nerds. Why? Because there is no market for such device. Casual gamers are quite happy with what they get from smartphone industry and PC-facebook-gaming stuff. More hard-core gamers will want bleeding-edge graphics and high-end performance. Without any real GPU on board OUYA will just stay behind. From the software standpoint, Android is a great system but, with sandboxing and multitasking environment, it is not very well prepared for running performance-demanding games.

But still.. I think I will buy it.

Without a real gpu? The ouya has a twelve core tegra 3 gpu with quad core cpu, one of the best you can get, how is that not a real gpu?

It is not aimed at hardcore gamers as it can't beat a ps3 but it can attract casual gamers and even general gamers.

It can handle all the current top android games at max quality settings which is just fine for a lot of people and the ouya can be a multimedia device too so should be fun and useful too.

By your reasoning about casual gaming the wii shouldn't have sold well but it did, I don't think it will be a mass hit but it will do ok at least.

Dave

( http://www.google.com/producer/editi...bigfatuniverse )

Sent from my LG P920 using Tapatalk 2
29th July 2012, 06:54 PM   |  #5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 27
 
159 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
More
I hope someone releases an overclocked kernal for it, so we can get some real power
19th March 2013, 01:51 AM   |  #6  
Senior Member
Flag michigan
Thanks Meter: 10
 
140 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2floor

I hope someone releases an overclocked kernal for it, so we can get some real power



more power is pointless, the games dont need it, and even with it, it wont make the games any better, Remember it slike trying to polish a turd, in the end its still a turd.

This is not a ps3, has a strong GPU and cpu for what its worth but you will never see CALL OF DUTY or HALO on this thing.
this is ment for angry birds and pinball,
I really dont see me wasting money on this, i dont see it going very far.

But if all the games can be store on the system and not use discs or anything external. that would be a huge plus. sucks playing a quick game of tetris then have to get up and change discs lol.
19th March 2013, 03:47 AM   |  #7  
Senior Member
Flag SF Bay Area
Thanks Meter: 180
 
962 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2011
More
you may not be playing COD or Halo on Ouya, but there will be some clone or similar game. They're already there for Android.

I don't think it's destined to fail. It'll be a bit more niche. I think it has the potential to do well, especially since it's going to be Amazon and in some major retails such as Target. It's going to get in people's hands.

A lot of it just depends on one's definition of success and expectations on the device; especially in regards to games. Not many people thought much of Roku media player box. I preordered that one; it was called a Netflix Player by Roku. Now, it's very popular. By no means do I think the Ouya can't fail. I can see how it can do well and fill a need/want.
21st March 2013, 02:21 AM   |  #8  
Azurael's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Bath
Thanks Meter: 205
 
821 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2008
More
I was really quite excited about Ouya when I first heard about it. Now it's taken so long to get to market? Not so much. To be honest, $99 isn't really very good value for a device that, okay, has nice game controllers... But there are Chinese 'stick' Android devices that are as, or more powerful, for half the price. And you can actually get those, now.

My main interest was to use Ouya as a media streaming box with a lot more flexibility and a decent browser. But if I really did care about gaming on a TV but using a device with far less 'oomph' than the PS3, 360 and PC that are hooked up to said TV, I don't see what would stop me pairing up a PS3 controller...

I'm assuming there will be hardware refreshes down the line - maybe if it doesn't take them a year to get the next one from announcement into the public's hands, I'll be more interested then.
1st August 2012, 09:23 PM   |  #9  
Halmo's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Waterloo
Thanks Meter: 12
 
128 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermentality

Without a real gpu? The ouya has a twelve core tegra 3 gpu with quad core cpu, one of the best you can get, how is that not a real gpu?

It is not aimed at hardcore gamers as it can't beat a ps3 but it can attract casual gamers and even general gamers.

It can handle all the current top android games at max quality settings which is just fine for a lot of people and the ouya can be a multimedia device too so should be fun and useful too.

By your reasoning about casual gaming the wii shouldn't have sold well but it did, I don't think it will be a mass hit but it will do ok at least.

Dave

( http://www.google.com/producer/editi...bigfatuniverse )

Sent from my LG P920 using Tapatalk 2

I hope you are referring to mobile device gpus/cpus because they are nowhere near the best you can get in desktops or even laptops or that matter.
12th February 2013, 06:56 AM   |  #10  
xDecapitator's Avatar
Member
Flag Chico
Thanks Meter: 11
 
94 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halmo

I hope you are referring to mobile device gpus/cpus because they are nowhere near the best you can get in desktops or even laptops or that matter.

Yes, but for $99, you are getting one hell of an Android system.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Ouya General by ThreadRank