5,601,062 Members 47,941 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Newb With Rooting Questions

Tip us?

Better n' Reverse
Old
(Last edited by Better n' Reverse; 20th February 2013 at 11:17 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Newb With Rooting Questions

Hey guys I just joined the site a few days ago after being sent here by some guys from some Audio forums, which is my main hobby. I guess you could say Im kind of a techy but am just now getting in to laptop building and things like that so I am still a newb. Anyways I just got the HTC DNA which I like quite a bit but Id like a little more out of it such as little better battery life, more customization, and to get rid of the bloat ware installed. On that note however I have never done anything much with phones since this is my first Droid after using Iphones which is why Im starting this thread...

I have been reading around and am still quite lost as to what I need to do to get what I wanted (battery life, customization, and to get rid of bloatware). I really like the ViperDNA ROM after watching the video but not sure if....
1. It will do what I want?
2. How to install it/make it run properly?
3. If there is something better?

So if you guys could walk me through what it takes to run something like that I would greatly appreciate you helping out some one new to this whole "Rooting" thing since this is my first Droid... If I can return the favor by helping out with your Car audio or talking guns with anyone Id be glad to!

TJMac44
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Better n' Reverse View Post
Hey guys I just joined the site a few days ago after being sent here by some guys from some Audio forums, which is my main hobby. I guess you could say Im kind of a techy but am just now getting in to laptop building and things like that so I am still a newb. Anyways I just got the HTC DNA which I like quite a bit but Id like a little more out of it such as little better battery life, more customization, and to get rid of the bloat ware installed. On that note however I have never done anything much with phones since this is my first Droid after using Iphones which is why Im starting this thread...

I have been reading around and am still quite lost as to what I need to do to get what I wanted (battery life, customization, and to get rid of bloatware). I really like the ViperDNA ROM after watching the video but not sure if....
1. It will do what I want?
2. How to install it/make it run properly?
3. If there is something better?

So if you guys could walk me through what it takes to run something like that I would greatly appreciate you helping out some one new to this whole "Rooting" thing since this is my first Droid... If I can return the favor by helping out with your Car audio or talking guns with anyone Id be glad to!
I love the ViperRom! It has every customization imaginable and is very professional looking. It helps with battery life but you can use pretty much any kernel you want with a rom and that probably has as much or more affect on battery life. You need to be rooted and have adb installed on your pc - are you to this point yet?

Here is a good link by droidmodd3rx that walks through most things on video. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2012346

Also did you accept Verizon ota update in the last week? If so I am not sure you can root yet, they will have to work out a new method for that.

Better n' Reverse
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJMac44 View Post
I love the ViperRom! It has every customization imaginable and is very professional looking. It helps with battery life but you can use pretty much any kernel you want with a rom and that probably has as much or more affect on battery life. You need to be rooted and have adb installed on your pc - are you to this point yet?

Here is a good link by droidmodd3rx that walks through most things on video. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2012346

Also did you accept Verizon ota update in the last week? If so I am not sure you can root yet, they will have to work out a new method for that.
It asked me today if I wanted to update and I held off since I read something about it not working with the new update... So Im still on the 1.15.605.4 Software number...

Better n' Reverse
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Also what is this ADB I need to have installed on my PC?

clarasmom
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Newer "B" than Better-n-Reverse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Better n' Reverse View Post
Also what is this ADB I need to have installed on my PC?
This is my second Droid phone, but I am interested in rooting this beast (HTC DNA). But I think I might temporarily be out of luck as my Software Number is 2.04.605.2 71 ORD.

I'll sit tight if this is true, but once there is a rooting option for this update can someone PLEASE, please, please post a V-E-R-Y detailed and simplified method for rooting?

I have to do whatever it take to get rid of "DROOOIIIDDD" on start up. Seroiously, that is my primary reason for looking into this rooting business. I'm such a sad case

Cheers!

Better n' Reverse
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
It looks like its quite the long process if you don't have SDK and ADP already installed which you will need to unlock the bootloader...