[Q] (Q) Rooting, flashing custom rom and kernel

Tip us?

Next123
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] (Q) Rooting, flashing custom rom and kernel

Hi,

Quick question I am still having trouble wrapping my head around the concept about kernels. I am planning to root my nexus 4 and flash a custom rom (purity rom) but am i required to also flash a kernel?

If so, which kernel would be idea?

Thanks!

Lionex1
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Next123 View Post
Hi,

Quick question I am still having trouble wrapping my head around the concept about kernels. I am planning to root my nexus 4 and flash a custom rom (purity rom) but am i required to also flash a kernel?

If so, which kernel would be idea?

Thanks!

Think about kernels as a car's engine. The device is the car, the ROM is the interior, and the kernel is the engine. Kernels do under the hood modifications, often things like improving battery life, or built in overclocking.

That being said, you are generally not required to flash a custom kernel to a ROM, if you are, the instructions will tell you to.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lionex1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Next123
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionex1 View Post
Think about kernels as a car's engine. The device is the car, the ROM is the interior, and the kernel is the engine. Kernels do under the hood modifications, often things like improving battery life, or built in overclocking.

That being said, you are generally not required to flash a custom kernel to a ROM, if you are, the instructions will tell you to.
Thanks for your help!!!