5,596,637 Members 43,786 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Performance of last year WP devices?

Tip us?

Shu.
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 114
Default Performance of last year WP devices?

Considering the availability of snapdragon 800 devices (such as Lumia 1520), is a device like Lumia 920 (or HTC 8x) still powerful enough to handle all games and apps?

I'm thinking of getting a secondary windows phone. I wonder how last year's devices perform these days.
Good Bye XDA! These 5 years have been fun! See you again someday.
--------
Phones: Touch 3G, HD2, HD7, Galaxy S, Sensation, Galaxy Nexus, One X, Nexus 4, Lumia 720, Htc One.
Tablets: Asus TF300T, Microsoft Surface, Asus Nexus 7 (LTE)

GoodDayToDie
Old
(Last edited by GoodDayToDie; 2nd December 2013 at 11:20 PM.)
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2472
Right now? Easily. The high-end launch devices (Lumia 92x, HTC 8X, Samsung ATIV S) are still plenty powerful for all apps on the market. The newest high-end phones are definitely more powerful, but aside from maybe a short reduction in loading times and faster bootup, plus of course better performance in JavaScript and so on, it shouldn't be a problem. Apps are pretty much required to run well even on 1GHz dual-core CPUs, like the mid-to-low-range phones have; 1.5GHz dual-core (like the high-end launch phones) is plenty.

Now, eventually that will no longer be the case, and the launch phones will go obsolete before the new ones. But the high-end launch phones will probably last longer than the low-end ones of the new generation anyhow, and the low-end launch ones will be the first to go. Microsoft will want to avoid that happening for as long as possible, so you should be good for a while.
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoodDayToDie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Shu.
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDayToDie View Post
Right now? Easily. The high-end launch devices (Lumia 92x, HTC 8X, Samsung ATIV S) are still plenty powerful for all apps on the market. The newest high-end phones are definitely more powerful, but aside from maybe a short reduction in loading times and faster bootup, plus of course better performance in JavaScript and so on, it shouldn't be a problem. Apps are pretty much required to run well even on 1GHz dual-core CPUs, like the mid-to-low-range phones have; 1.5GHz dual-core (like the high-end launch phones) is plenty.

Now, eventually that will no longer be the case, and the launch phones will go obsolete before the new ones. But the high-end launch phones will probably last longer than the low-end ones of the new generation anyhow, and the low-end launch ones will be the first to go. Microsoft will want to avoid that happening for as long as possible, so you should be good for a while.
Thanks for such a detailed and helpful response. Much appreciated!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
--------
Phones: Touch 3G, HD2, HD7, Galaxy S, Sensation, Galaxy Nexus, One X, Nexus 4, Lumia 720, Htc One.

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2472
You're welcome! There's other concerns besides the raw CPU power to consider, of course, such as the 1520 having a 1920x1080 resolution screen and BT 4.0 with low-energy mode, and newer phones will probably have more RAM and Flash storage as prices per gigabyte for such things continue to fall. Still, I've been very happy with my ATIV S (SGH-T899M) even though it's missing a few things that the newer phones have.

Oh, and while I appreciate the post, there *is* a Thanks button too... Much quicker!

WP8 projects:
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoodDayToDie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Shu.
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDayToDie View Post
You're welcome! There's other concerns besides the raw CPU power to consider, of course, such as the 1520 having a 1920x1080 resolution screen and BT 4.0 with low-energy mode, and newer phones will probably have more RAM and Flash storage as prices per gigabyte for such things continue to fall. Still, I've been very happy with my ATIV S (SGH-T899M) even though it's missing a few things that the newer phones have.

Oh, and while I appreciate the post, there *is* a Thanks button too... Much quicker!
Important things to consider. thanks again! (Thanks button clicked) I have one last question. Do you see any advantages in owning a Phablet Windows Phone device over a Phone?

Does it have any extra functionalities, or anything unique that makes it special aside from having more tiles on the home screen? That's something that I'm really curious about
--------

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2472
I don't own one myself, but the only thing that comes to mind is the ability to get a bunch more tiles on the Start screen (three "normal" columns, plus each tile is shorter as well - they're still square, after all - so you get more of them vertically at once). That's a nice feature, one which I enabled (via registry hack) on my ATIV S (at 4.8", it's just below the 5" cutoff for that feature to happen automatically) as soon as I got GDR3. Aside from that, and the phenomenal resolution of the 1520, though, I'm not aware of anything much.

WP8 projects:
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects: