Tip us?

dark42
Old
(Last edited by dark42; 18th December 2013 at 01:22 PM.) Reason: Found solution
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] EVGA Tegra Note 7 root?

EDIT:
Go here to root your Tegra Note 7: https://github.com/linux-shield/shie...ster/README.md (thanks to CampGareth for finding the link).
I have tested this, it works with no bloatware, only installs SuperSu.

---------
Hey guys, I got my new Tegra Note 7 last night and I've been trying to get it rooted, but I keep running into trouble.
First of all, I DO NOT want to use some shady Chinese software that installs a bunch of bloat on both my tablet and PC just to get SuperSu going, I've tried that method and had to reset the tablet to get rid of all the crap it installs (and it didn't even seem to root anyway).

Now I'm trying the manual method from here: http://pan.baidu.com/wap/link?uk=307...426036&third=0
Which, again, is Chinese but at least I can see what it's doing since I'm issuing ADB commands, and supposedly it has worked for others on this forum.

Now, I get to step 3 on the included PDF which says to boot an insecure bootloader image with "fastboot boot tegranote_insecure_boot.img", I do this and the tablet screen flashes a few times and reboots to android.
I get to the next step which says to open an adb shell, and do "/sbin/rootsh +p" to get a temp root shell, and this is where I get stuck. Instead of getting a root shell I get the message "/system/bin/sh: /sbin/rootsh: not found". Does anyone have suggestions?

By the way we really need a Tegra Note 7 subforum here at XDA, if the mods could add it that would be great.
Nexus 4 - CM10.2
EVGA Tegra Note 7 - stock fw, rooted

shimp208
Old
(Last edited by shimp208; 9th December 2013 at 11:19 PM.) Reason: Updated Boot Image
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1325

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark42 View Post
Hey guys, I got my new Tegra Note 7 last night and I've been trying to get it rooted, but I keep running into trouble.
First of all, I DO NOT want to use some shady Chinese software that installs a bunch of bloat on both my tablet and PC just to get SuperSu going, I've tried that method and had to reset the tablet to get rid of all the crap it installs (and it didn't even seem to root anyway).

Now I'm trying the manual method from here: http://pan.baidu.com/wap/link?uk=307...426036&third=0
Which, again, is Chinese but at least I can see what it's doing since I'm issuing ADB commands, and supposedly it has worked for others on this forum.

Now, I get to step 3 on the included PDF which says to boot an insecure bootloader image with "fastboot boot tegranote_insecure_boot.img", I do this and the tablet screen flashes a few times and reboots to android.
I get to the next step which says to open an adb shell, and do "/sbin/rootsh +p" to get a temp root shell, and this is where I get stuck. Instead of getting a root shell I get the message "/system/bin/sh: /sbin/rootsh: not found". Does anyone have suggestions?

By the way we really need a Tegra Note 7 subforum here at XDA, if the mods could add it that would be great.
I would recommend the following procedure:

1. Download the root_tool_v2.zip attached to this post
2. Unzip the contents the root_tool_v2.zip to a directory
3. Run the following commands from your ADB and Fastboot directory:

Code:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot boot tegranote_insecure_v2.img
4. Once your device finishes booting the insecure boot.img (Your device's screen will blink several times and then boot into Android) run the following commands:

Code:
adb shell
mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
exit
adb push su /system/xbin/su
adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
adb shell
chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su
chmod 644 /system/app/Superuser.apk
mount -o remount,ro /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
exit
adb reboot
5. You should now have Superuser installed and have root access.

What I did was I modified the boot.img provided to be insecure and use an insecure adbd binary to allow a root shell when booted from which can then be used to setup Superuser and su binary access. Let me know how this goes for you and if you have any questions .
Attached Files
File Type: zip Superuser_su.zip - [Click for QR Code] (1.88 MB, 67 views)
File Type: img tegranote_insecure_v2.img - [Click for QR Code] (5.64 MB, 81 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shimp208 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dark42
Old
(Last edited by dark42; 6th December 2013 at 06:25 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Wow, thanks for the help! Unfortunately your attachment seems to be corrupt, I can't decompress the archive. I'm using 7-zip btw. The forum says your attachment is 7.19MB but when downloaded it's only 160KB.
If you can re-upload it I will give it a go.
Nexus 4 - CM10.2

dergezero
Old
(Last edited by dergezero; 6th December 2013 at 09:40 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1
a reup of the file would be much appreciated!

PS
i have a batch file to expedite the process.

shimp208
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1325

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Wow, thanks for the help! Unfortunately your attachment seems to be corrupt, I can't decompress the archive. I'm using 7-zip btw. The forum says your attachment is 7.19MB but when downloaded it's only 160KB.
If you can re-upload it I will give it a go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dergezero View Post
a reup of the file would be much appreciated!

PS
i have a batch file to expedite the process.
Re-uploaded the file for you guys let me know how it goes for you .
The Following User Says Thank You to shimp208 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dark42
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Awesome your new package downloaded fine.
However I'm still not getting root, I got to step 4 and when I open an adb shell I don't have permissions to do the next command.

The exact error message:
shell@android:/ mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
mount: Operation not permitted

So I guess the insecure boot image didn't work right. I should mention that I am using the latest Tegra Note firmware, I don't know if that makes a difference though. Any ideas?
Thanks for your help so far.
Nexus 4 - CM10.2

dergezero
Old
(Last edited by dergezero; 7th December 2013 at 09:25 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1
do you guys have a copy of the drivers for the tablet? mine only seems to work for storage.

update: got drivers working.

e8hffff
Old
Thanks Meter 42
Shimp is there button sequence to get into recovery when booting?

I tried updating some Google apks and added some other items to /etc but it's failing to get to wizard after a factory reset. More or less I've bricked the unit unless I can get adb up or reflash with fastboot.

shimp208
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1325

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Just a regular shell with $. Doesn't look like I get temp root permissions after running the tegranote_insecure_v2.img.
If it matters, I'm on the latest Stock ROM (4.2.2/JDQ39.13155_268.1942) and I'm using Universal Naked Driver 0.73 for the Shield, which works with this device. Maybe I need to use a different driver?
Drivers shouldn't be the issue in this case. Just to make sure I'm on the same page about something, to unlock the Tegra Note's bootloader did you have to issue the fastboot oem unlock command? Or when you boot into fastboot mode does it say that that it the unlocked flag has been triggered (I.E does it say in fastboot mode, LOCK STATE: Unlocked)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by e8hffff View Post
Shimp is there button sequence to get into recovery when booting?

I tried updating some Google apks and added some other items to /etc but it's failing to get to wizard after a factory reset. More or less I've bricked the unit unless I can get adb up or reflash with fastboot.
As I don't actually have a physical device is test this combination try holding power button + volume up + volume down simultaneously when booting up the device to see if that gets you into the bootloader. From the bootloader you should then be able to use fastboot or select the option to boot into recovery mode. Also did you do a factory reset from recovery mode when you did the factory reset or the settings menu in Android? If someone can provide you with a copy of there system.img and userdata.img then you can try flashing those in fastboot and seeing if your device will boot up again (A Note on userdata.img this may contain peoples personnel information so if they provide and it and you flash it after your device boots backup please perform a factory reset from recovery to erase that data).

dark42
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimp208 View Post
Drivers shouldn't be the issue in this case. Just to make sure I'm on the same page about something, to unlock the Tegra Note's bootloader did you have to issue the fastboot oem unlock command? Or when you boot into fastboot mode does it say that that it the unlocked flag has been triggered (I.E does it say in fastboot mode, LOCK STATE: Unlocked)?
My Tegra Note's bootloader was unlocked from the factory. I did run "fastboot oem unlock" now just to try it, but it did nothing since it was already unlocked.
Nexus 4 - CM10.2