5,599,033 Members 32,234 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Crap sound with headphones plugged in (Nexus 7)

Tip us?

Larry94
Old
(Last edited by Larry94; 10th December 2013 at 12:29 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 76
Default Crap sound with headphones plugged in (Nexus 7)

I've been running Omni since the 11/28 nightly. Lately I've been experiencing a distorted, crackling sound with my headphones. This happens during and without audio playback... Wait, I just unplugged the charger and it went away. Why is that?

Found my answer. Appears to be interference.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...ing-100-a.html

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Tweakecho
Old
Thanks Meter 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry94 View Post
I've been running Omni since the 11/28 nightly. Lately I've been experiencing a distorted, crackling sound with my headphones. This happens during and without audio playback... Wait, I just unplugged the charger and it went away. Why is that?

Found my answer. Appears to be interference.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...ing-100-a.html

Real world EMI going on here....

any rectifier circuits will cause "noisy DC" And since most electronics these days induce noise or harmonics onto the line (in the wires) and this stray voltage can be sent back through your charger into your tablet causing EMI problems, and even with all the shielding of your tablet unless you ground it the emi has nowhere to "go".

That may seem confusing but just try to avoid plugging all your different "chargers" and your computer and all your other little gizmos in the same plug/powerstrip. This should help reduce the issue. You could try it on an outlet in a different room and see if it is just as bad...

but i guess you could have a bad unit...there were some defects upon launch as always...Hope my rambling helped out a little... lol

PS if you have a lot of the new or old for that matter florescent light bulbs they also induce noise onto the power grid of your house.

Larry94
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakecho View Post
Real world EMI going on here....

any rectifier circuits will cause "noisy DC" And since most electronics these days induce noise or harmonics onto the line (in the wires) and this stray voltage can be sent back through your charger into your tablet causing EMI problems, and even with all the shielding of your tablet unless you ground it the emi has nowhere to "go".

That may seem confusing but just try to avoid plugging all your different "chargers" and your computer and all your other little gizmos in the same plug/powerstrip. This should help reduce the issue. You could try it on an outlet in a different room and see if it is just as bad...

but i guess you could have a bad unit...there were some defects upon launch as always...Hope my rambling helped out a little... lol

PS if you have a lot of the new or old for that matter florescent light bulbs they also induce noise onto the power grid of your house.
Thanks, that clarifies it quite a bit. Just plugged it in a different outlet, and there was no noise. Gotta remember that I have 63% charge left, and not 99% like earlier. I'll plug it in and see if it happens in the 90% range again. I wouldn't think I have a bad unit seeing how I waited the launch out and got it last November. Might dump this for a Moto G/Nexus 5 soon anyway.