XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] keyboard cover

Tip us?

henrik.dk
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 44
Default [Q] keyboard cover

anyone find a decent slim keyboard cover?
I guess the price will be very high as the user base is small.

hybenos
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I purchased this one:
/itm/LG-8-3inch-G-Pad-Slim-cover-flip-single-stage-stand-Case-High-Qulity-Tablet-PC-/221320680238?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

...the forum would not let me post a correct link so add www ebay com before the link.

High price but i could not find any other that would ship to sweden. Amazon had some but the shipping price was higher (total cost more den 55$).

I did not want to wait any longer for my cover since i have a young child that likes to play around with my stuff . I needed a cover fast. I am sure that there will be others out there as soon as the sales of the unit increase.

RobilarOCN
Old
Thanks Meter 17
That's just a case, I think he is looking for a combined case/keyboard.

Which I have not seen yet.

twemco
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Is that what you're looking for? I cannot post link at the moment. It's from amazon.ca
/Asuxtek%C2%AELG-Bluetooth-Keyboard-Portfolio-Case/dp/B00EVNHQF4

henrik.dk
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 44
yes. Exactly something like this. thanks for the information
Quote:
Originally Posted by twemco View Post
Is that what you're looking for? I cannot post link at the moment. It's from amazon.ca
The Following User Says Thank You to henrik.dk For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MordodeMaru
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by twemco View Post
This looks great. How did it work?

RyanEJ25
Old
(Last edited by RyanEJ25; 6th January 2014 at 10:06 PM.)
Thanks Meter 6
I read the reviews and I just bought a similar case but bought a bluetooth keyboard separately. Its similar to Apple with the scissor keys and works well. This way I can use it for movies and not have to worry about a keyboard in the case.

tdodd
Old
Thanks Meter 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanEJ25 View Post
I read the reviews and I just bought a similar case but bought a bluetooth keyboard separately. Its similar to Apple with the scissor keys and works well. This way I can use it for movies and not have to worry about a keyboard in the case.
I'm expecting one of these to be delivered on Monday. Unfortunately the reviews are for different ELTD products, without the keyboard included.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-Ke...pr_product_top

I'll try to provide an opinion once I've had a chance to test it out. I am concerned about the ergonomics as that tab sticking out in front of the keyboard looks like a major irritation, but I'll hold judgement until I have hands on experience. FWIW I already have the ELTD (branded "IVSO") Black III cover, which is pretty good for the price, so I hope this product will prove just as good.
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 running stock 4.4.2
LG G Pad 8.3 running stock LGE 4.4.2 (rooted)
Samsung Galaxy Note N7000 running stock 4.1.2 (rooted)
ZTE Blade running CM 7.2

tdodd
Old
Thanks Meter 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdodd View Post
I'm expecting one of these to be delivered on Monday. Unfortunately the reviews are for different ELTD products, without the keyboard included.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-Ke...pr_product_top

I'll try to provide an opinion once I've had a chance to test it out. I am concerned about the ergonomics as that tab sticking out in front of the keyboard looks like a major irritation, but I'll hold judgement until I have hands on experience. FWIW I already have the ELTD (branded "IVSO") Black III cover, which is pretty good for the price, so I hope this product will prove just as good.
The keyboard cover arrived on Saturday and I've had a chance to give it a workout. I'm using it now to type this.Here are some observations....

1. The overall impression is quite good. It seems well made and holds both tablet andkeyboard securely with good protection.
2. The whole package becomes quite heavy and bulky, not unlike a hefty Filofax of old.
3. The keyboard fastens into the cover with magnets. The strength of hold seems spot on - held firmly enough, but easily removed.
4. The keyboard part is very light indeed. The weight is in the cover.
5. The keyboard works well, but of course the keys are small and close and typing mistakes are made as I need to get used to it.
6. Unfortunately for the UK market there is no key on the keyboard and I have no idea how to access the key without turning off the keyboard, waiting for the tablet to release the connection and then using the on screen keyboard to input the character. It takes longer to drop the missing keyboard connection than to reacquire it.
7. The tab on the cover is soft enough to be tucked out of the way under the keyboard and will stay put fairly easily.
8. The biggest functional problem (bulk, weight and missing key aside) is that with the tablet secured within the cover the surrounding material, which covers the bezels, sticks up proud and make it quite difficult to touch the notification bar for a double tap or to pull notifications down. To a lesser degree there is a similar problem with the navigation buttons.
9. The cover does act like a smart cover, turning the tablet on and off when opened and closed.
10. If the tablet is rebooted the Bluetooth pairing is lost and manual reconnection is necessary.

Overall it's not a bad product, especially for the price, but there is room for improvement. I will continue using the keyboard in isolation, but instead of the heavy/bulky/awkward cover I shall use the cover I already bought, with smart cover, and use the keyboard loose and free from the tablet. That will allow me to grab the tablet for a low profile and light weight for mobility (pocketable) and just leave the keyboard back home on the desk (coffee table).
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 running stock 4.4.2
LG G Pad 8.3 running stock LGE 4.4.2 (rooted)
Samsung Galaxy Note N7000 running stock 4.1.2 (rooted)
ZTE Blade running CM 7.2
The Following User Says Thank You to tdodd For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]