[Q] Unlocking BL - need clarification

Tip us?

tman_pl
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Question [Q] Unlocking BL - need clarification

Hi,

I am going to unlock my Arc S BL. I read many here, but need some clarifications:

My goal is to have XUHD 5.0.1 with suggested kernel (Lupus). Right now I have XUHD 3 (with mod), phone is rooted (I did it somehow). It got slow and buggy after a while, so I need to refresh it totally.

THE PLAN:

1. Unlock BL using SE Bootloader Unlocking v1.6 by quangnhut123 (seems easier for a newbie than "sony" way, not mentioning the test point one).

2. Using the same tool flash LuPuS Kernel Stock.

Now to be confirmed: All I have to do is to enter IMEI and select file LuPuS_anzu_Stock-iCsv16-full.img. Done?
What would I get after that? Shell I turn on the phone as usual (and it is supposed to run as normal, maybe fresh)?
Should I remove my SD card while doing steps 1-2? Is the contentt of the SD card erased after the process?
Gaps - totally new to me - should I do something with them?

3. Flash the ROM. Well I did it earlies and it worked, so I believe when I will get confirmatoion of above I might succeed.

To be confirmed: to "make phone as new" - what pratition should I wipe? I am going to backup everything possible earlier.
I would like to add my own ringtone. How to do that? (I was told it can be done after installing ROM - via CWM - need suggestions...)

Do I miss something? Do I have to check anything before I start (dont want to finish with not working device...)

Any help would be VERY appreciated.

big thanks in advance.

Someguyfromhell
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1897

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman_pl View Post
1. Unlock BL using SE Bootloader Unlocking v1.6 by quangnhut123 (seems easier for a newbie than "sony" way, not mentioning the test point one).
That is the "sony" way but all the process is done with this app. You lose same features as with the "sony" way.
Quote:
Now to be confirmed: All I have to do is to enter IMEI and select file LuPuS_anzu_Stock-iCsv16-full.img. Done?
Put phone into fastboot mode, enter IMEI, then get unlock code, then unlock BL, then select the file and flash the kernel.
Quote:
What would I get after that? Shell I turn on the phone as usual (and it is supposed to run as normal, maybe fresh)?
You get unlocked bootloader, custom kernel installed. When you have installed the custom kernel, enter Recovery (press Volume Down button many times during kernel boot logo), wipe the necessary partitions (depends on the ROM) and install new ROM.
Quote:
Should I remove my SD card while doing steps 1-2? Is the contentt of the SD card erased after the process?
Not necessary. No SD Data is touched during this process. Unlocking bootloader though does remove all data from your phone inside (not SD), so make backups if necessary.
Quote:
Gaps - totally new to me - should I do something with them?
Gapps stand for Google Apps. They are only required, if you install non-stock based ROM (CyanogenMod aka CM or any other).
Quote:
3. Flash the ROM. Well I did it earlies and it worked, so I believe when I will get confirmatoion of above I might succeed.

To be confirmed: to "make phone as new" - what pratition should I wipe? I am going to backup everything possible earlier.
For most ROMs, you need to wipe /data, /cache and /system. Non-stock based may require you to not wipe /system.
Quote:
I would like to add my own ringtone. How to do that? (I was told it can be done after installing ROM - via CWM - need suggestions...)
If it is on your SD card, your phone can find it. Alternatively, you can put it to /system/media/audio/ringtones folder with any file explorer, that can edit system directory (I personally use ES File Explorer).
Quote:
Do I miss something? Do I have to check anything before I start (dont want to finish with not working device...)[/B]
Seems fine for now, nothing that I can think of.
The Following User Says Thank You to Someguyfromhell For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tman_pl
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
THANK YOU VERY MUCH, your help is very appreciated. All issues adressed perfectly!

I am downloading the tools and backing up data (want to format as much as possible)..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someguyfromhell View Post
If it is on your SD card, your phone can find it. Alternatively, you can put it to /system/media/audio/ringtones folder with any file explorer, that can edit system directory (I personally use ES File Explorer).
The reason to put it to device memory instead of card one it that when phone is connected to PC in mass storage mode it switches the default ringtone (phone does not have acces to the card)

Well, I did try copy to devuce filesystem, but I get Read Only file system warning, no files copied. I used ES with root permission. I was told it can be done by flashing, but dont know how to do that..

BIG, BIG thanks for your help

Someguyfromhell
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1897

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
The reason to put it to device memory instead of card one it that when phone is connected to PC in mass storage mode it switches the default ringtone (phone does not have acces to the card)

Well, I did try copy to devuce filesystem, but I get Read Only file system warning, no files copied. I used ES with root permission. I was told it can be done by flashing, but dont know how to do that..

BIG, BIG thanks for your help
Open ES File Explorer, press the Menu button, make sure Root Explorer is turned on, then click on Root Explorer, Mount R/W, make sure /system is set to RW.

tman_pl
Old
(Last edited by tman_pl; 13th December 2013 at 06:04 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
SUPERB, thanks again. Working like a charm.

I backed up all I needed. I started SE Bootloader Unlockin Tool, but after I enter my IMEI and hit Get Unlock Code the text-area where the code should appear chnaged color to light-gray only, and nothing more.

I am running win764 if matters...

Should I proceed as told? (hit unlock BL even if Unlock code is not displayed?

I sould I get the code via http://unlockbootloader.sonymobile.com/, paste it and than proceed?

Abhinav2
Old
Recognized Contributor / Themer
Thanks Meter 3696
Quote:
SUPERB, thanks again. Working like a charm.

I backed up all I needed. I started SE Bootloader Unlockin Tool, but after I enter my IMEI and hit Get Unlock Code the text-area where the code should appear chnaged color to light-gray only, and nothing more.

I am running win764 if matters...

Should I proceed as told? (hit unlock BL even if Unlock code is not displayed?

I sould I get the code via http://unlockbootloader.sonymobile.com/, paste it and than proceed?
Yes get the code from official website

Cheers,
AJ

There's a great team (Team BlueRidge) supporting us day and night selflessly. Please consider donating them