XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

PDF Reader on iPad vs Note

Tip us?

kjung7
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default PDF Reader on iPad vs Note

So I returned my iPad air and everything is awesome. But one thing I can't get over is why PDF viewing on the Note 10.1 is so inferior to the iPad .

The Note has a better processor and more Ram, shouldn't the PDF viewing be super smooth? Is it an Android issue where PDF viewing is so slow?

On my iPad I could use GoodReader to open 4 different PDFs and it wouldn't really stutter or lag, but it seems like all the PDF apps for the Note (RepliGo, office suite, Polaris, and more) all seem to have trouble rendering even one PDF. The rendering issue is especially noticeable when skipping around.

Is anyone else as frustrated as me with the PDF situation?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

rockjock2020
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Depends on the reader and the coder imho. I use mantano reader and its super smooth. Ezpdf reader lagged and stuttered on me no matter if I'm on my note 10. 2014, note 2, or my original note 10.1

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

C2Q
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Try PDF Max for reading, it is the smoothest PDF reader I've ever seen on Android, and it should be just as good as iOS.

alexcarterkarsus
Old
Thanks Meter 44
Ezpdf, pdf max, or mantano reader, none hold a candle compared to smartq reader, speed wise, and when you skip fast through pages, it renders them smooth and clear, ezpdf is not smooth, pdf max and mantano reader are smooth but they both render the pages in a blurred way then "clear" it up, which I hate. Smartq reader is the only pdf reader that can render the pages fast and clear as they appear

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to alexcarterkarsus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kjung7
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcarterkarsus View Post
Ezpdf, pdf max, or mantano reader, none hold a candle compared to smartq reader, speed wise, and when you skip fast through pages, it renders them smooth and clear, ezpdf is not smooth, pdf max and mantano reader are smooth but they both render the pages in a blurred way then "clear" it up, which I hate. Smartq reader is the only pdf reader that can render the pages fast and clear as they appear

Yes! Thank you so much, smartq is insanely fast. Not the best for annotation, but it's awesome for PDF viewing. I wonder why the other apps can't use a similar rendering engine.

alexcarterkarsus
Old
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjung7 View Post
Yes! Thank you so much, smartq is insanely fast. Not the best for annotation, but it's awesome for PDF viewing. I wonder why the other apps can't use a similar rendering engine.

You are welcome! I noticed it's a Chinese app, which comes with some quirks like confirm before exit, but the engine itself is really fast, even when dealing with pure image pdf

>>X<<
Old
Thanks Meter 13
I guess you missed this thread

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2497642