XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Rooting the Captivate Glide for an old WM6.1 newbie

Tip us?

dragonfire613
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Rooting the Captivate Glide for an old WM6.1 newbie

Hello all and been awhile since I've been active in these parts.

This is probably a faux pas on several levels, but here I am. I used to be rather adept at rooting/ROMing/modding my smartphone years ago in the days when I was using HTC Windows Mobile phones, up through 6.1. Then my phone died, and I "upgraded" (several years late) to an early cheap Android 1(.2?) Pantech Crossover a few years ago. Given there was really no dev community for the Pantech, and I was relatively satisfied with the performance, I never even experimented with modding that phone. It lasted until present and served me well, but my wife just presented me with the Captivate Glide as an early Christmas present and so here I find myself, and somewhat out of the loop.

Given most of my experience is on outdated WM rooting, and it's been quite awhile, I'm looking to school myself on what I'm doing before I start messing around with the new Captiate Glide.

Can you point me to the do's and don'ts, resources, or newbie threads, and what-i-need-to-know-not-to-brick-my-phone links or threads before I dive into this? I have found some basic info thus far, and I guess I'm hoping for something more comprehensive for newbies, or any relevant info for someone who isn't up on the latest methods, tools, etc.

My apologies if I have looked over obvious resources. Children, work, family, and lack of time prevent me from finding everything I need by researching and sorting through gobs of info to learn the traditional way.

Thanks in advance.

stormdude124
Old
Thanks Meter 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire613 View Post
Hello all and been awhile since I've been active in these parts.

This is probably a faux pas on several levels, but here I am. I used to be rather adept at rooting/ROMing/modding my smartphone years ago in the days when I was using HTC Windows Mobile phones, up through 6.1. Then my phone died, and I upgraded" (several years late) to an early cheap Android 1(.2?) Pantech Crossover a few years ago. Given there was really no dev community for the Pantech, and I was relatively satisfied with the performance, I never even experimented with modding that phone. It lasted until present and served me well, but my wife just presented me with the Captivate Glide as an early Christmas present and so here I find myself, and somewhat out of the loop.

Given most of my experience is on outdated WM rooting, and it's been quite awhile, I'm looking to school myself on what I'm doing before I start messing around with the new Captiate Glide.

Can you point me to the do's and don'ts, resources, or newbie threads, and what-i-need-to-know-not-to-brick-my-phone links or threads before I dive into this? I have found some basic info thus far, and I guess I'm hoping for something more comprehensive for newbies, or any relevant info for someone who isn't up on the latest methods, tools, etc.

My apologies if I have looked over obvious resources. Children, work, family, and lack of time prevent me from finding everything I need by researching and sorting through gobs of info to learn the traditional way.

Thanks in advance.
Don't worry about it I'll get you going hears a good thread I made that helps people flash roms and get root!http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...07&postcount=6 if you need help let me know (and the best ROM to use is cm 10.2 by bubor the best and greatest Dev on this forum! He makes very stable Roms! Check here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2421898
The Following User Says Thank You to stormdude124 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dragonfire613
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormdude124 View Post
Don't worry about it I'll get you going hears a good thread I made that helps people flash roms and get root!http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...07&postcount=6 if you need help let me know (and the best ROM to use is cm 10.2 by bubor the best and greatest Dev on this forum! He makes very stable Roms! Check here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2421898
OK, finally getting some time alone with my phone. I've successfully rooted! Now I'm ready to move on to a custom rom. I hope.

stormdude124
Old
Thanks Meter 55
Look here is a thread I made http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2623635

[UPDATED][2014][How-to]Everything need to know about Captivate Glide
All new Roms ect.

Sent from my Kitkatified I927 running CM 11
The Following User Says Thank You to stormdude124 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dragonfire613
Old
(Last edited by dragonfire613; 1st February 2014 at 03:45 AM.) Reason: To add info I left out
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
So after a few hours of tinkering, I successfully flashed the cyanogen ROM you linked above... but the voice recognition didn't seem to be present? I expected a microphone button on the keyboard as on my stock 4.0.4 (which works, but requires a data/internet connection), but none was present, and couldn't find anything that indicated a way to use voice typing elsewhere. I couldn't seem to find anywhere to activate it or indicate it was on the ROM. Per the thread for the ROM, it says you needed to go into settings --> system --> hardware keys to make it active, but under system in settings there was no option for that. I went through the entire settings menu and couldn't find anything. And then I realized I didn't have my contacts backed up to the cloud (or SIM, apparently) anyway, so i rolled back to my stock rooted ROM at least for now in order to be able to transfer those over to the new ROM. And then lol I discovered that about 2GB was missing from my internal SD space, not leaving me enough free space to move my CoPilot (GPS) maps back to the phone.

Finally I figured out the CWD backup folder (duh) was what was hogging the space, so I'm copying that over to my PC to save for a rainy day and then will get everything back to rooted stock from before the ROM flash. I'll have to give it another go on a different day. Mostly I wanted to get rooted, and then try to run 4.3 to get the off-line voice typing and easy screenshots, so I'm yet to figure that out if you have any ideas (I didn't actually test the screenshot function, so that may have been working).

stormdude124
Old
(Last edited by stormdude124; 1st February 2014 at 07:11 AM.)
Thanks Meter 55
For voice(and OK Google in Google now) you have to install offline voice data (The only file I have is en-US) you have to do it manually
Its in my new thread. Then try settings>language and input>google voice typing.
Also screenshots work by pressing
Vol. down + power
Example

This is where you set custom buttons in KitKat but it should be in the same place . (I'm a late night person lol)

Anyways I hope you get it figured out the custom ROM life is sweet!

dragonfire613
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
OK back on CM 10.2, with google voice search installed and Google Keyboard up to date... I can voice search through the voice search command, but there is still no microphone shown on the keyboard when typing? Am I missing something?

stormdude124
Old
Thanks Meter 55
Did you enable Google voice? It should be there

dragonfire613
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormdude124 View Post
Did you enable Google voice? It should be there

Yeah, it's enabled. At least as far as I can tell. It's installed, I have the microphone when I go to google search. But it's not on the google keyboard, as you can see. There isn't anything listed about it in settings.... I think I'm missing something. I've installed/updated Google Keyboard & Google Voice Search...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-02-01-21-16-39.png
Views:	17
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	2553780  

stormdude124
Old
Thanks Meter 55
Enable it Google keyboard settings as well by holding the key left of the space bar