5,599,677 Members 46,491 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Google Edition ROM on GS4 MJ7?

Tip us?

Jerome the Just
Old
(Last edited by Jerome the Just; 18th December 2013 at 06:01 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Google Edition ROM on GS4 MJ7?

I saw someone say it was possible and I rooted mine just to do that (before knowing that mj7 custom recovery was impossible). I just want to put google edition on my S4. If anyone knows if what that person said is correct could you please send me a link to the info I need to make it happen.

I heard that the method was somehow related to using odin to install the stock image to the mj7 s4 as google edition is an official edition which would be great if that were true.

tech_head
Old
Thanks Meter 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome the Just View Post
I saw someone say it was possible and I rooted mine just to do that (before knowing that mj7 custom recovery was impossible). I just want to put google edition on my S4. If anyone knows if what that person said is correct could you please send me a link to the info I need to make it happen.

I heard that the method was somehow related to using odin to install the stock image to the mj7 s4 as google edition is an official edition which would be great if that were true.
Not possible to put any GE Rom on a S4 with MJ7.
The boot loader is locked and you will brick your phone.
Don't attempt.
The Following User Says Thank You to tech_head For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

decaturbob
Old
Thanks Meter 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome the Just View Post

no ability to install any custom ROM as MJ7 bootloader is pretty much lockdown for that, Odin has nothing to do with it. Now, Hashcode is working on safestrap port for MJ7 and MDK2 base users but that is no guarantee that a GE based rom will work when it is done. Some restrictions on kernel base and safestrap you see. You can read thread on ROMs that worked with safestrap and see what was said there for Google Edition Rom
S4 powered by hashcode 3.71 safestrap HYPERDRIVE 15 by Sbreen94
The Following User Says Thank You to decaturbob For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BJSerpas
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by decaturbob View Post
no ability to install any custom ROM as MJ7 bootloader is pretty much lockdown for that, Odin has nothing to do with it. Now, Hashcode is working on safestrap port for MJ7 and MDK2 base users but that is no guarantee that a GE based rom will work when it is done. Some restrictions on kernel base and safestrap you see. You can read thread on ROMs that worked with safestrap and see what was said there for Google Edition Rom
I do recall that there were two Google Edition ROMs that were reported to work on Safestrap, actually. Chances are they were still using the stock kernel though, so since A.) The OP is probably on a newer kernel than those, and B.) The newest "GE" ROMs on 4.3 use an AOSP kernel, unfortunately we're gonna have to wait juuuust a bit longer.

I know how you feel. TouchWiz has to go.

But hey, on the bright side, we can at least have HyperDrive RLS11 on our MJ7 phones for the time being!