Java fundamentals for Android development

Tip us?

Danzan
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Cool Java fundamentals for Android development

Hello everyone!

I'm engineer of IT with background in C#, PHP and Java. My wish is to learn to develop Android applications. My question is, how much of Java do I need to know before I start learning Android? ATM I have passed basics in Java, primitive/reference types, collections, loops, casting, wrapping/unwrapping, exceptions, polymorphism, inheritance, (everything about OOP). Now I stopped at Swing GUI. Should I avoid it? Do I need listeners/events in Android apps? Threads? Can someone write me down what do I need to complete my Java knowledge before I start my Android journey? I would appreciate that!

(How much I )

Thanks and BR,

M.

coolbud012
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzan View Post
Hello everyone!

I'm engineer of IT with background in C#, PHP and Java. My wish is to learn to develop Android applications. My question is, how much of Java do I need to know before I start learning Android? ATM I have passed basics in Java, primitive/reference types, collections, loops, casting, wrapping/unwrapping, exceptions, polymorphism, inheritance, (everything about OOP). Now I stopped at Swing GUI. Should I avoid it? Do I need listeners/events in Android apps? Threads? Can someone write me down what do I need to complete my Java knowledge before I start my Android journey? I would appreciate that!

(How much I )

Thanks and BR,

M.
Yups you need everything that comes into Core Java except Swing and AWT.
Rest yes listeners/events and Threads are important topics to cover for Java.

You can Google the terms like " Java for android" you will get your answers....rest you can use any topic of java into Android...core or advanced it depends on your level of understanding and implementation...

Thanks

Aptitude Cracker - An Application for all Competitive Exams and all In One Aptitude Preparation
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DroidAcid - Get all android tutorials and Micromax CanvasHD A116 guides.

nikwen
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1236
Quote:
Hello everyone!

(How much I )

Thanks and BR,

M.
I recommend to read a tutorial on the basics of threads. It's not needed for basic apps though. You will also need anonymous classes. Writing to and reading from files might be useful if you need to store some data.
About everything else I would say: Start with Android and if you don't understand some Java things you find, read some tutorials about how they work. You should have the basic knowledge to start with Android now. You can always improve your Java later when you need it - if you need it.
Have fun.

Danzan
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Thanks for the replies guys. I will pass Swing to see how it works (because of listeners and events), also threads and IO. I see ppl use SQLite for local db, so ill check that too later. One more thing, is there any Android framework? I see there's Spring for Android, but dunno should I use it or not.

BR

PicomatStudios
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Hello everyone!

(How much I )

Thanks and BR,

M.
One thing you don't tend to worry about normally with Java is memory usage. On Android, you do (you're running in a memory constrained environment). I'd do a little bit of reading on Garbage Collection and then a bit on Android's JVM (specifically it's worth understanding that its GC is non-compacting).

Danzan
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PicomatStudios View Post
One thing you don't tend to worry about normally with Java is memory usage. On Android, you do (you're running in a memory constrained environment). I'd do a little bit of reading on Garbage Collection and then a bit on Android's JVM (specifically it's worth understanding that its GC is non-compacting).
Well, I understand how Garbage Collector works with Java, but as I can see, its not same with Android. Thanks for the advice.
How about battery life?

jhun24
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default books for java beginners

Anyone can suggest a book for java, i am a beginner in java but i know some of other language. Suggest a book that can teach me easily and faster, and deeply understand OOP language

Danzan
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhun24 View Post
Anyone can suggest a book for java, i am a beginner in java but i know some of other language. Suggest a book that can teach me easily and faster, and deeply understand OOP language
Check out Head First Java, 2nd Edition.
I'm finishing it, very well explained Java and Object oriented programming as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Danzan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nikwen
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1236
Quote:
I'm finishing it, very well explained Java and Object oriented programming as well.
+1

kira325
Old
Thanks Meter 1

DONATE TO ME
Quote:

if I studied the book "Head First Android Development". is this enough without studying specifically java first?