5,605,438 Members 43,477 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Note 3 is "not supported" by Kies 3

Tip us?

Sentryism
Old
(Last edited by Sentryism; 25th December 2013 at 10:15 PM.) Reason: USB port clarification
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Plug Note 3 is "not supported" by Kies 3

EDIT: At this point, I'm just trying to flash official firmware via ODIN but every attempt is ending with ODIN: Invalid ext4 image on various firmwares and via various USB ports

Hi everyone,

I recently picked up a Galaxy Note 3 which I soon realized was a parallel import and so I decided to flash firmware from my country with Odin. It failed (I soon realized I had forgotten to enable USB debugging) and my phone currently displays "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again."

I have tried reinstalling Kies, different USB ports (USB 2.0 & 3.0) after turning off USB 3.0 charging too, reseating the battery etc but each time, Kies tells me "The connected device is not supported by Kies 3. Check which devices are supported and try again." except Kies 3 is what the Note 3 uses...

Reinstalling the driver as well doesn't appear to do anything either. The Note 3 shows up in device manager as SAMSUNG Mobile USB Modem so it's detected but I can't exactly say if that is correct?

Anyway, any help is appreciated! I'll see when Samsung's contact centre is open next being Christmas and all and since I was only flashing official firmware, my Knox counter is still at 0x0 so my warranty is still in place should the need to use it arise.

ione2380
Old
Thanks Meter 21
If you flash with odin then why do you need kies for? Just put it in download mode and flash it again.

Sent from Note 3 SM-N9005

Sentryism
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ione2380 View Post
If you flash with odin then why do you need kies for? Just put it in download mode and flash it again.

Sent from Note 3 SM-N9005
Flashing with ODIN has been stopping on "Invalid ext4 image" every time but I'm downloading another ROM to try out at the moment. Hopefully that should work. I was trying to avoid ODIN since I wasn't sure if repeatedly try to flash a ROM (even official firmware) and having it fail would make things worse.

bgantenbein
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Having the same problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentryism View Post
Flashing with ODIN has been stopping on "Invalid ext4 image" every time but I'm downloading another ROM to try out at the moment. Hopefully that should work. I was trying to avoid ODIN since I wasn't sure if repeatedly try to flash a ROM (even official firmware) and having it fail would make things worse.

What's the solution? Do you already could find the problem?

Sentryism
Old
(Last edited by Sentryism; 25th December 2013 at 09:56 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgantenbein View Post
What's the solution? Do you already could find the problem?
Well, I don't have one yet. I'm still going through various firmwares but the second one I've tried threw up the same error. Basically, I'm just waiting for firmwares to download at the moment. I'll report back if I manage to fix it. I would assume it's due to not having debugging mode enabled but I can't exactly enable it in my current situation.

Here is the ODIN log if it is of any use:

<ID:0/009> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> N9005XXUDMJ7_N9005OXADMJ4_N9005XXUDMJ7_HOME.tar.md 5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/009> Odin v.3 engine (ID:9)..
<ID:0/009> File analysis..
<ID:0/009> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/009> Initialzation..
<ID:0/009> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/009> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/009> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/009> sbl1.mbn
<ID:0/009> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/009> aboot.mbn
<ID:0/009> rpm.mbn
<ID:0/009> tz.mbn
<ID:0/009> sdi.mbn
<ID:0/009> NON-HLOS.bin
<ID:0/009> boot.img
<ID:0/009> recovery.img
<ID:0/009> system.img.ext4
<ID:0/009> FAIL! (Ext4)
<ID:0/009>
<ID:0/009> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

Sentryism
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Well, I've gone through about 5 or 6 various ROMs and each fail at system.img.ext4 so I'm at a loss as to if I can even flash back to stock. I plan on contacting Samsung Support since my Knox counter is safely at 0x0 and I've run out of relevant posts to read that I have found.

testmonkey1
Old
(Last edited by testmonkey1; 26th December 2013 at 10:10 PM.)
Thanks Meter 84
Hello!

I made the switch from iOS to Android a couple of days ago and as well own a Note 3 device. After a couple of days of reading around the forums I decided to flash the MK2 Uk rom since in my country we're only up to MJ7 and I've been experiencing very weird battery drains. I am aware that the update won't likely fix them and I'll have to wait for the next one in January but I hope to at least make things better. Unfortunately today I downloaded Kies3 and I'm getting the same error when I click on the firmware check or upgrade menu (or whatever it is called). I haven't tried Odin yet because the firmware was taking too long to download and I had tl go out for work. Still I very doubt it will work since the official program isn't even working.

tl;dr; Please post in the topic when you find a solution as I am experiencing the same problem as well. Especially if I have to do a warranty replace since I have a wiggly button and I was wondering whether to do that in the first place.

Andrewtst
Old
Thanks Meter 1268

DONATE TO ME
Possible not a genuine Note 3?
Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | | Kernel: Stock | ROM: X-Note 13.0 v4.4.2 KitKat - XXUENC2
Future Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Ex. Phone: Nokia 3310, Samsung S500, Nokia 7610, 7270, 7280, SE K750, Nokia N73, LG Viewty KU990, Samsung Pixon, UltraTOUCH, OMNIA II, Nokia 3120 Classic, Google Nexus One, Samsung Galaxy S II, S III, Sony Xperia Z, Z Ultra

Tablet: Sony Xperia Tablet Z | ROM: v4.3 - 10.4.B.0.577
Future Tablet: Still Finding

Ex. Tablet: Google Nexus 10

testmonkey1
Old
(Last edited by testmonkey1; 27th December 2013 at 10:20 AM.)
Thanks Meter 84
This is absurd, I said I am new to Android, this doesn't mean I have grown in a pot. My device came with all the appropriate stickers, branding and everything and is purchased through a local carrier. Unfortunately I got one from Vietnam with the wiggly home button but it is a legit device. Anyways I even tried contacting my local support but they were most unhelpful, only forwarded me to an Authorized Service Provider (what an awful chat app, they disconnected me and I even lost the details). I think I will soon try flashing a custom firmware through CWM or something..

xclub_101
Old
Thanks Meter 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentryism View Post
I recently picked up a Galaxy Note 3 which I soon realized was a parallel import and so I decided to flash firmware from my country with Odin. It failed (I soon realized I had forgotten to enable USB debugging) and my phone currently displays "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again."
I believe KIES 3 in Emergency Firmware Recovery mode does NOT YET support the updated bootloaders - so if your device has a bootloader >= MJ3 it will not be seen in KIES 3. I am still using Kies v3.1 but I have seen a v3.2 available, however I do not know if the problem is solved.
N9005 Universal Root De La Vega / Mobile Odin Pro, Knox 0x0, MJ7