XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Yet another boot/brick issue

Tip us?

TWong1200
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Question Yet another boot/brick issue

Have an XT926 Maxx with an unlocked bootloader. I can wipe partitions and flash custom ROMs just fine. I can also fastboot back to stock images. But for some reason, I can't get past the boot animation. For example, on the stock rom, it'll display the 'DROID' image upon boot and play the 'DROID' sound but then suddenly freezes, then reboots (over and over again). I've gone into factory recovery and wiped data/cache and still have the same issue.

I've searched the forums and was not able to find anyone with the same issue.

Any suggestions? Am I screwed? Perfectly good phone otherwise!
nexus 5 | moto x | razr hd maxx

RikRong
Old
Thanks Meter 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWong1200 View Post
Have an XT926 Maxx with an unlocked bootloader. I can wipe partitions and flash custom ROMs just fine. I can also fastboot back to stock images. But for some reason, I can't get past the boot animation. For example, on the stock rom, it'll display the 'DROID' image upon boot and play the 'DROID' sound but then suddenly freezes, then reboots (over and over again). I've gone into factory recovery and wiped data/cache and still have the same issue.

I've searched the forums and was not able to find anyone with the same issue.

Any suggestions? Am I screwed? Perfectly good phone otherwise!
If all you're doing is wiping data/cache, there's a possiblity that there might be some bad data in there still. I would also format data, as this will get rid of everything. Wiping data doesn't always get rid of everything. If you are fastbooting stock ROMs, always FDR after you flash, prior to booting into OS. Also, since your BL is unlocked, you need to load up an aftermarket recovery like CWM or TWRP. None of the new ROMs will work on stock recovery.
The Following User Says Thank You to RikRong For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TWong1200
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikRong View Post
If all you're doing is wiping data/cache, there's a possiblity that there might be some bad data in there still. I would also format data, as this will get rid of everything. Wiping data doesn't always get rid of everything. If you are fastbooting stock ROMs, always FDR after you flash, prior to booting into OS. Also, since your BL is unlocked, you need to load up an aftermarket recovery like CWM or TWRP. None of the new ROMs will work on stock recovery.
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I know about the need for TWRP/CWR when flashing custom ROMs. I reverted back to stock recovery when I fastbooted the factory images. Using stock recovery, I wiped Data and Cache so not sure what you mean. What's FDR?

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk

RikRong
Old
Thanks Meter 370
Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I know about the need for TWRP/CWR when flashing custom ROMs. I reverted back to stock recovery when I fastbooted the factory images. Using stock recovery, I wiped Data and Cache so not sure what you mean. What's FDR?

FDR is Factory Data Reset. It's generally a good idea to boot back into recovery and FDR after fastbooting.

TWong1200
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikRong View Post
FDR is Factory Data Reset. It's generally a good idea to boot back into recovery and FDR after fastbooting.
Ah, yes....I've done that numerous times. Still will not boot. Is there a way to erase the partitions and rewrite them? Perhaps they're corrupted or something.

TWong1200
Old
(Last edited by TWong1200; 2nd January 2014 at 06:13 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
I was, for some reason, able to get it to boot up once today. I was able to get to the 'Power off and Insert SIM' screen. After powering off, though, it would no longer fully boot into the OS. Still bootlooping.

Less than an hour later, i got it to boot up yet again. Not sure how, but it's booted up and now with my SIM installed. I know if I reboot, it'll happen again.

Anyone have a clue what it could be? Anything I can do before shutting it down that could help?

bweN diorD
Old
Thanks Meter 176
Quote:
Ah, yes....I've done that numerous times. Still will not boot. Is there a way to erase the partitions and rewrite them? Perhaps they're corrupted or something.

you can re-write the partitions using this tool, for the 926 only
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bpjghbbv0v....gpt%20fix.rar
Show some appreciation to those who have helped you by using the Thanks button!!
The Following User Says Thank You to bweN diorD For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]