5,598,657 Members 39,422 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Verizon Note 3 OTA update fails - Help Please!

Tip us?

SacJester
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Phone [Q] Verizon Note 3 OTA update fails - Help Please!

Verizon - Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - White

I have been trying to update the the latest OTA firmware update, but I am having troubles. I am sorry if this is a repeat post or this has already been solved, I did do a pretty extensive search for my problem before I made this post.

MI9 to MJ7
Code: 404

I have included 2 screenshots below with the problem I am having. I am not currently rooted, I did not trigger Knox, and it is still not working after the third factory data reset.

Does anyone out there have any ideas as to why this is broken and what I can do to fix it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshots_2014-01-01-02-37-22.jpg
Views:	2400
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	2487085   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshots_2014-01-01-02-37-57.jpg
Views:	2361
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	2487086  

LeftyGR
Old
Thanks Meter 307
When you plug your phone into a computer, a folder pops up with some folders and some files. One of the files is a program from Verizon. I do not recall the name at the moment. But if you double click on it, it will install a program on your computer that will help you install firmware through your computer. Try updating with that. Just follow the prompts. And let us know if updates you to the current firmware, or if you're still having problems.

♢NoteIII♢
I will not appologize for art.
Galaxy Note 3

The Following User Says Thank You to LeftyGR For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Harleydroid
Old
Thanks Meter 326
Since you are not rooted download Kies 3. It's a Samsung utility. Download it and install it on your computer and that should get you on the latest and greatest. I did it on my windows pc with both updates. Current being MJE.
Then if you want to root later you can with Kingo app.

---------- Post added at 09:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyGR View Post
When you plug your phone into a computer, a folder pops up with some folders and some files. One of the files is a program from Verizon. I do not recall the name at the moment. But if you double click on it, it will install a program on your computer that will help you install firmware through your computer. Try updating with that. Just follow the prompts. And let us know if updates you to the current firmware, or if you're still having problems.

♢NoteIII♢
There's also Odin if you are familiar with that
The Following User Says Thank You to Harleydroid For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

LeftyGR
Old
(Last edited by LeftyGR; 1st January 2014 at 09:15 AM.)
Thanks Meter 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleydroid View Post
I am. But I wasn't sure how deep to go with him. And my suggestion was easier for someone who wasn't familiar with kies or odin. ( just in case he is not familiar with kies or odin). It is his first post on XDA

♢NoteIII♢
I will not appologize for art.
Galaxy Note 3

The Following User Says Thank You to LeftyGR For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Harleydroid
Old
Thanks Meter 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyGR View Post
I am. But I wasn't sure how deep to go with him. And my suggestion was easier for someone who wasn't familiar with kies or odin. ( just in case he is not familiar with kies or odin). It is his first post on XDA

♢NoteIII♢
Oh my fault LeftyGR I meant to quote his post. I think we were replying about the same times there.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harleydroid For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SacJester
Old
(Last edited by SacJester; 2nd January 2014 at 06:26 AM.) Reason: Typo
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Lightbulb Thanks and Update

I tried forcing the update through the pc using the Verizon Wireless software, and had no luck. It fails at 66% exactly when my phone switches to ODIN Mode and says Downloading... - Did not trigger KNOX - 0x0 in both rows.

My next step is to try Samsung Kies3 and see my luck with it. I will post an update with the results.

I want to thank everyone for the information. I had not heard of Kies did see Odin mentioned but it looks a little involved.

Credentials and Thoughts:
I have some experience with root and custom roms from Droid 1, Droid 3. I rooted my Note 3 in October 2013, so I may have missed the first OTA update that was so minor, it didn't get a build number. I have a feeling that my problem is that I am trying to go from update 0 to update 2 while skipping minor update 1. With no build number, I don't know how to tell if that is the problem. Is there a stock rom I could install, that has the newest update? I already backed up everything and wiped so, it doesn't hurt to go one step further.

Thanks again.

Redjax
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacJester View Post
I tried forcing the update through the pc using the Verizon Wireless software, and had no luck. It fails at 66% exactly when my phone switches to ODIN Mode and says Downloading... - Did not trigger KNOX - 0x0 in both rows.

My next step is to try Samsung Kies3 and see my luck with it. I will post an update with the results.

I want to thank everyone for the information. I had not heard of Kies did see Odin mentioned but it looks a little involved.

I have some experience with root and custom roms from Droid 1, Droid 3. I rooted my Note 3 in October 2013, so I may have missed the first OTA update that was so minor, it didn't get a build number. I have a feeling that my problem is that I am trying to go from update 0 to update 2 while skipping minor update 1. With no build number, I don't know how to tell if that is the problem. Is there a stock rom I could install, that has the newest update? I already backed up everything and wiped so, it doesn't hurt to go one step further.

Thanks again.
OP, were you able to update through Kies? If that doesn't work, I would recommend backing up what you can (search for a no-root backup solution, or use the one built into Kies), and factory reset, then attempt the update. If you back up your stuff through Kies, the only thing you'll lose is apps, I believe, but Kies might even back that up for you as well.

SomeFknGuy
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I'm having similar problems myself. Update fails through the OTA, Kies, as well as the Verizon Update Assistant... Any ideas on how to update otherwise? I've flashed phones with ODIN before but i haven't found a good walk through with the Note3 or what order to flash everything in...

az_biker
Old
Thanks Meter 1697

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacJester View Post

Thanks again.
The link in my sig has a good offering of some top roms for the N3 (of course new roms are created regularly), just about every step by step you will need to make your N3 experience worry free!

Enjoy!
Backup: Galaxy Nexus (Gyrannosaurus Nex) - SlimKat 4.4.2
Current: Note 3 (Notorious 3) BajaRom COMBAT Ed / BajaRom 10 / Jelly 'Beans' 6

Hit THANKS If I Helped
The Following User Says Thank You to az_biker For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]