[Q] NAND Write Start Fail in Odin

Tip us?

Mungo Park
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] NAND Write Start Fail in Odin

Hi all,

for the last three days I've been carrying around a paper weight that looks remarkably like my Galaxy S3...
Anyway, I'm at a point where I don't know what else I could (or should) try. Today I thought I had a winner when I came across this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1840030
I thought wrong. Flashing the bootchains works but then when I try flashing the root66.tar in Odin it always fails during NAND Write Start. I have seen people in the above thread with the same problem and then "never mind, I fixed it"-posts without explanations what they actually did... So, if you managed to fix it or know how to fix it, how does it work?
(I can't post in the same thread because I have less than 10 posts..)

Any input would be highly appreciated!

Thanks a lot and happy new year!

Cheers

ThePagel
Old
Thanks Meter 175
In detail what did you do before this problem.

Mungo Park
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePagel View Post
In detail what did you do before this problem.
Hm... a lot of (probably not very wise) things... Let's see...
It all started when I updated CM10.2 to a nightly release. Something went wrong, not sure what. I was talking to someone and when I checked my phone again it was just sitting there in TWPR and wouldn't boot up anymore (stuck in Cyanogen splash screen). I was still able to boot back into recovery and then tried flashing the stable CM10.2, which it didn't do. I factory reset the phone, tried flashing again, to no avail. The error message was that E: data something was missing or not accessible. From then on it's kind of a blur what I actually did, the list includes:
- trying to flash back to stock in Odin
- trying to flash new recovery in Odin
- trying to flash a pit file
- trying to install new firmware in Kies (after downloading the firmware Kies would just quit (PC), or not even download it and tell me that it's not posfible with my phone (Mac))
- trying the method described in the linked thread

At some point I wasn't even able anymore to boot into recovery (I think that was when I tried to flash a new recovery).

Thanks

joeinternet
Old
(Last edited by joeinternet; 3rd January 2014 at 02:24 PM.)
Thanks Meter 95
I had a similar problem a while back: ODIN wouldn't flash anything and I could no longer get to recovery, etc.

I had been running Odin on Windows XP within a Virtual Machine, something that had never been a problem for me in the past. I ran it on native Windows and it flashed fine (root66.tar). If you're running ODIN inside a VM, try that.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...4#post47886084

-Joe
The Following User Says Thank You to joeinternet For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Mungo Park
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinternet View Post
I had a similar problem a while back: ODIN wouldn't flash anything and I could no longer get to recovery, etc.

I had been running Odin on Windows XP within a Virtual Machine, something that had never been a problem for me in the past. I ran it on native Windows and it flashed fine (root66.tar). If you're running ODIN inside a VM, try that.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...4#post47886084

-Joe
Interesting. I am indeed running Windows in a VM... Need to try that later today. I'll report back later in the pm. Thanks!

Mungo Park
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
IT'S BACK ALIVE! Thanks, Joe! Using a native Windows machine did the trick. I didn't use Odin, though, but did a firmware reset in Kies (was easier to do at work). Anyway, phone is up and running again. Next steps are getting CM back...

Thanks again!