Shattered Screen? Turn Your Broken Device into a Complete Media Center!

A cracked screen usually means you’ll have to spend a hefty … more

Gmail 5.0: Material Design and Multiple Account Support

Google started to materialize many of its applications right after announcing the … more

Some of Our Favorite Features in Android 5.0 Lollipop

Android 5.0 Lollipop is the latest major revision to Google’s mobile operating … more

Sony SmartEyeglass SDK Developer Preview Released

A little over a month ago in Tokyo, Japan, Sony unveiled its new SmartEyeglasstechnology. … more
Post Reply

[Q] Rooted 4.3 OTA soft-bricked, wouldn't load any apps

OP Iantuition

27th January 2014, 06:47 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
8 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
More
So basically I did this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2538991

But unfortunately, I hadn't realized that the mobile hotspot was sealed up in that update. So I looked it up, and saw that someone had recommended this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=48326067

So I went into TWRP and installed it. But that didn't work. When I booted back up EVERY app was crashing immediately except the stock Samsung apps (Messaging, Email, etc.). I tried to reverse it with the original framework-res.apk but when I did, the phone would get stuck at the AT&T logo (which was silent). I went back and forth a few times (when I applied that tethering mod, the phone would boot; when I tried to reverse it, it wouldn't), then did a factory reset in TWRP. After that, the phone booted, but the Setup Wizard would crash. So I did a Nandroid restore in TWRP and now the phone hangs at the AT&T logo no matter what I do.


My question is, what can I do now? I have a replacement device coming through warranty just in case, but it would be much better to just fix this one. However, I want to be certain and not HARD brick the phone...
27th January 2014, 10:09 AM   |  #2  
bellifritz's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
24 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
I have never been able to restore a stock 4.3 nandroid without everything crashing. I have always had to go back into recovery and wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache and dalvik cache then reboot and go through the whole setup process again. If that doesn't work you could try installing the stock debloat ROM from this thread. That's what I am running and it works great. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2540998

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app
27th January 2014, 09:50 PM   |  #3  
winosxbuntu's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag LA
Thanks Meter: 26
 
200 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iantuition

So basically I did this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2538991

But unfortunately, I hadn't realized that the mobile hotspot was sealed up in that update. So I looked it up, and saw that someone had recommended this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=48326067

So I went into TWRP and installed it. But that didn't work. When I booted back up EVERY app was crashing immediately except the stock Samsung apps (Messaging, Email, etc.). I tried to reverse it with the original framework-res.apk but when I did, the phone would get stuck at the AT&T logo (which was silent). I went back and forth a few times (when I applied that tethering mod, the phone would boot; when I tried to reverse it, it wouldn't), then did a factory reset in TWRP. After that, the phone booted, but the Setup Wizard would crash. So I did a Nandroid restore in TWRP and now the phone hangs at the AT&T logo no matter what I do.


My question is, what can I do now? I have a replacement device coming through warranty just in case, but it would be much better to just fix this one. However, I want to be certain and not HARD brick the phone...

if you can get back to twrp , clear everything then flash the official correct file that yu want then see if that works...restore your apps/data after a clean refresh for your phone

remember panicking and being paranoid with flashing/rooting is not a a good idea, always rethink what you did wrong, let the phone cool down, research know what you re doing then fix it
dont rush, cuz rushing leads to bricks (learned from experience from day 1 with root)
28th January 2014, 01:58 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
8 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellifritz

I have never been able to restore a stock 4.3 nandroid without everything crashing. I have always had to go back into recovery and wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache and dalvik cache then reboot and go through the whole setup process again. If that doesn't work you could try installing the stock debloat ROM from this thread. That's what I am running and it works great. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2540998

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

How'd you do that? Just the regular factory reset? Cause the setup wizard wouldn't even run after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winosxbuntu

if you can get back to twrp , clear everything then flash the official correct file that yu want then see if that works...restore your apps/data after a clean refresh for your phone

remember panicking and being paranoid with flashing/rooting is not a a good idea, always rethink what you did wrong, let the phone cool down, research know what you re doing then fix it
dont rush, cuz rushing leads to bricks (learned from experience from day 1 with root)

Okay. Which official file though? and should I clear the system and boot partitions too?
28th January 2014, 04:13 AM   |  #5  
winosxbuntu's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag LA
Thanks Meter: 26
 
200 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iantuition

How'd you do that? Just the regular factory reset? Cause the setup wizard wouldn't even run after that.



Okay. Which official file though? and should I clear the system and boot partitions too?

try this two links, everything on flashing 4.3 stock/rooting and fix http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2540998
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=46804338

either one will work

AND dont clear everything just cache/dalvik/format system/ factory reset BUT follow the instructions given for that rom to avoid any problems
Last edited by winosxbuntu; 28th January 2014 at 04:19 AM.
28th January 2014, 05:25 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
8 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by winosxbuntu

try this two links, everything on flashing 4.3 stock/rooting and fix http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2540998
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=46804338

either one will work

AND dont clear everything just cache/dalvik/format system/ factory reset BUT follow the instructions given for that rom to avoid any problems

Okay so I just leave boot alone. Let us pray, LOL. And sorry if I've sounded like a supernoob but I'm trying to be REALLY careful.
29th January 2014, 12:07 AM   |  #7  
winosxbuntu's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag LA
Thanks Meter: 26
 
200 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iantuition

Okay so I just leave boot alone. Let us pray, LOL. And sorry if I've sounded like a supernoob but I'm trying to be REALLY careful.

it will work, i agree with what bell said. unless its hard bricked then no worries just keep calm and fix the damn phone
28th January 2014, 11:36 AM   |  #8  
bellifritz's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
24 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
[QUOTE=Iantuition;49824499]How'd you do that? Just the regular factory reset? Cause the setup wizard wouldn't even run after that.



Hit the power button to make the screen go to sleep. Hit the power button again to wake it up. Nothing should be crashing while you are on the lock screen so just hold the power button until the power menu appears and select power off. Once it powers off hold the volume up, home button and power button until you see the blue words in the upper left corner of the screen I believe it says loading recovery. Release the power button but continue holding the other 2 buttons until recovery loads. Now wipe data, cache and under advanced wipe dalvik cache. Reboot and everything should quit crashing but you will have to setup your account and apps again. That is the only way that I can get stock touchwiz 4.3 nandroids to work.



Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
Last edited by bellifritz; 28th January 2014 at 11:45 AM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes