Don’t Forget About Birthdays with Birthday Reminder

A person’s birthday is, without a doubt,one of the most important days in his … more

Don’t Fear Flashing with I Don’t Want You!

The XDA message boards are full of various modifications, with many of these helping … more

Quo Vadis, Open {Source, Standards, World}? w/ Jan Wildeboer – XDA:DevCon 2014

Open Source was a big topic at this years XDA:DevCon … more

Android 5.0 Leaked for the Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Android Lollipop is still making its way to many new devices. Firmware updates have been … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Kitkat vs jellybean

OP drivenby

30th January 2014, 04:14 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 363
 
1,140 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2012
Anyone else think the supposed improvements of KK are more snake oil than anything??

The difference between ics and JB is astounding.

But I've yet to see the same with KK. There's a new theme, which frankly sucks (subjective) .

I haven't seen the supposed improvements in ram.

Or the improved battery life with audio playback.

I'm well aware that many improvements are under the hood, and sure they might be significant, but to ME, the end user, I simply don't see them.

I think I noticed a bigger difference with 4.2.


Sent from my One X using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to drivenby For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th January 2014, 12:09 PM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Flag Birmingham
Thanks Meter: 70
 
351 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2010
I do agree to some extent but in reality we are always limited by the hardware we have - that will not change. Also, due to the fact we're stuck on a 3.1 kernel, perhaps we are not seeing all the benefits we could.

To me, the jump to Ice Cream Sandwich where we finally got 2d graphics acceleration was the last major, major jump. Everything since (as a .x update) has been a minor evolution. Let's see what Android 5.x brings!
30th January 2014, 01:37 PM   |  #3  
treebill's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 564
 
2,128 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivenby

Anyone else think the supposed improvements of KK are more snake oil than anything??

The difference between ics and JB is astounding.

But I've yet to see the same with KK. There's a new theme, which frankly sucks (subjective) .

I haven't seen the supposed improvements in ram.

Or the improved battery life with audio playback.

I'm well aware that many improvements are under the hood, and sure they might be significant, but to ME, the end user, I simply don't see them.

I think I noticed a bigger difference with 4.2.

its much less about JB vs KK, but more about Dalvik vs ART.

when you run cm 11 on ART it is much smoother and apps run much faster.
30th January 2014, 02:00 PM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Flag Lahore
Thanks Meter: 46
 
148 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by treebill

its much less about JB vs KK, but more about Dalvik vs ART.

when you run cm 11 on ART it is much smoother and apps run much faster.

Yeah but ART is in the initial stages.. i enabled it and it worked fine for like one hour or so and then things started getting f****d up... finally had to disable it. and when the phone was back to dalvik, touch froze... ended up formatting it to get it back working.. otherwise the screen worked at every reboot until i turned the screen off
30th January 2014, 03:39 PM   |  #5  
treebill's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 564
 
2,128 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khizar Amin

Yeah but ART is in the initial stages.. i enabled it and it worked fine for like one hour or so and then things started getting f****d up... finally had to disable it. and when the phone was back to dalvik, touch froze... ended up formatting it to get it back working.. otherwise the screen worked at every reboot until i turned the screen off

I am running ART on CM 11, with no problems at all.

make sure you get art compatable gapps, i get mine from Here, i use the micro gapps but any will do.
31st January 2014, 01:41 PM   |  #6  
Senior Member
Flag Lahore
Thanks Meter: 46
 
148 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by treebill

I am running ART on CM 11, with no problems at all.

make sure you get art compatable gapps, i get mine from Here, i use the micro gapps but any will do.

I am using the stock google package from the same thread... If my gapps were incorrect, my phone would not have booted up in the first place.
Last edited by Khizar Amin; 31st January 2014 at 01:43 PM.
31st January 2014, 01:50 PM   |  #7  
One-M8-Master's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Hannover
Thanks Meter: 2,710
 
7,575 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khizar Amin

I am using the stock google package from the same thread... If my gapps were incorrect, my phone would not have booted up in the first place.

he meant for ART you have the wrong...there are packages just for dalvik and also some which are supporting both runtimes, dalvik AND ART ...i personally use them from paranoidandroid...the PA -gapps are great and it has the real stock google experience launcher
31st January 2014, 06:11 PM   |  #8  
HTC Venom's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag amman
Thanks Meter: 214
 
518 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
More
Here is my experience with pure Kitkat as a stock or AOSP ROMs on Nexus 7 2013 . As stock ROMs comes with a very different launcher than the one that comes with AOSP which is nearly the same as the experience launcher on Nexus5

The stock nexus 7 3013 kitkat launcher comes with no transparency at drawer . Nav bar or status bar . While the experience launcher is nearly transparent at every part of

But when it comes to my choice I would go with the old looking stock one . The new way that experience launcher looks is so damn ugly . Really . Even the new icons design is awful . . Im so gald they kept the jelly bean look at Kitkat for nexus 7 2013 . Everutime I go for AOSP ROM I go back right into any if the stock ROMS


ITS just my own opinion .

Also They managed great to get the new wallpapers to look bad

Something else about experience launcher . I don't like the idea of the Rlauncher or rom to control the way I number and arrange my homescreens . And placing Google now on the far right is an awful decision . Using the ring to pick it is much more convenient and faster


Just to say I really love they kept the old launcher for KITKAT ON MY nexus 7 1013

Sent from my HTCSensation using xda app-developers app
Last edited by HTC Venom; 31st January 2014 at 08:10 PM.
1st February 2014, 01:17 AM   |  #9  
and313's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 641
 
1,997 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
More
I really miss a dev team that would push it forward hard. You know something like the pa team but with amazing design choices and functionality. I get so bored using the same usage pattern of the android system for so long. I want something new a new direction of making usage easier and not just voice control which is on all the time. There is nothing new since 4.0. They could at least fix multitasking...

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk
8th February 2014, 01:25 AM   |  #10  
and313's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 641
 
1,997 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
More
I would say the new sources play a part to

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes