Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,686 Members 37,208 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Need a tad bit of help with using commands

Tip us?

milkydude12
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Need a tad bit of help with using commands

K, i've got a wii emulator, but i don't understand how to run these commands !!! +_+

To increase stability on Galaxy S4 and other Adreno 3xx devices with driver v14, you need to root and run the following commands on the device as root.
Code:
echo 0 > /sys/kernel/debug/kgsl/kgsl-3d0/fast_hang_detect
echo 0 > /sys/kernel/debug/kgsl/kgsl-3d0/ft_pagefault_policy
echo 0 > /sys/kernel/debug/kgsl/kgsl-3d0/ft_policy
echo 0 > /sys/kernel/debug/kgsl/kgsl-3d0/ib_check
echo 0 > /sys/kernel/debug/kgsl/kgsl-3d0/long_ib_detect

Can someone please educate me on how this is suppose to work? do i need an android terminal? or how do i go about running these commands?
(yes my phone is rooted)

Thanks

Ryan

fffft
Old
Thanks Meter 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkydude12 View Post
i don't understand how to run these commands
These are system commands and you need to run them from the "command line". The easiest way to do that would be to install a terminal application. Android Terminal Emulator by Jack Palevich is one good choice. Or you could run an adb shell.

After you install terminal emulator, enter
Quote:
su [enter]
"su" is the command for superuser (root access). Then you can use the system configuration commands that you have for your wii emulator.

If any commands need to be reentered each time you use your emulator, then you could use a scripting app like gscript light which can be configured to enter these commands from a bookmark. i.e. just click on a bookmark and it will run a set of commands for you.

milkydude12
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Hi,

Thanks for replying!!! I've a problem though , after i enter su (enter) then grant superuser, i type in echo 0 > /sys/kernel/debug/kgsl/kgsl-3d0/fast_hang_detect
then i get no such file or directory , what am i doing wrong???

jd1639
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkydude12 View Post
Hi,

Thanks for replying!!! I've a problem though , after i enter su (enter) then grant superuser, i type in echo 0 > /sys/kernel/debug/kgsl/kgsl-3d0/fast_hang_detect
then i get no such file or directory , what am i doing wrong???
Do you have those directories on your phone? Where did you get the commands to type in? Are they specific to the s4?

milkydude12
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639 View Post
Do you have those directories on your phone? Where did you get the commands to type in? Are they specific to the s4?
I got the commands from here https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-opengl-es-3-guide i apologize if im not supposed to post link +_+

fffft
Old
(Last edited by fffft; 8th February 2014 at 05:02 AM.)
Thanks Meter 343
I can't add much more than jd1639 already suggested. These commands would just make a temporary configuration change to half a dozen driver settings in aid of your emulator program. The "echo 0" command ensures that a particular setting is set to "0", if the target file exists.

Check for typos. If there weren't any typos, then it would seem likely that the information from the original thread is inaccurate or out of date. What model of phone are you trying this on? The original thread refers to the i9505 and similar phones. Is your phone a i9505? The fact that you're posting this in an AT&T, et al forum suggest that you might actually have a i337 /i337m phone. Depending on what model you actually have, your phone may have a Snapdragon 800 or Exynos processor rather than the Snapdragon 600.

The drivers may or may not be the same across different phones and processors. Or the drivers names may have changed in a subsequent firmware update. You check your filesystem to see if those paths exist or if the file names can be found elsewhere. Then look to the emulator thread for further guidance.

I had a quick look at a S3 and some, but not all of those files exist. If you find the same thing on your S4, then you'll have to refer to the emulator thread to discern if you need to have all of those items to enable your emulator or if a subset will suffice.

You can probably just create any "missing" files for a workable solution. They're just text files that the drivers refer to for guidance. It's something that I'd at least try in your place. However while I don't perceive any real risk in that i.e. worst case it wouldn't boot and you'd need to restore a backup.. don't look to me if your phone unexpectedly wimpers, fails or becomes sentient and disagrees. Anything you actually do is at your own risk.

You can search paths and file names as follows below. And you should be able to use the touch, mv or cp commands (or install a text editor) to create a missing file.

$ su
# cd /sys/kernel/debug/kgsl/kgsl-3d0
# ls -la
# find / -name fast_hang_detect