Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,898 Members 50,855 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

8 core update for exynos? !

Tip us?
 
Ahmedmoataz
Old
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Posts: 72
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default 8 core update for exynos? !

So...., are we getting this 8 core update or what?
 
DeBoX
Old
#2  
DeBoX's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 24
Posts: 286
Join Date: Jul 2010
Doesn't seem like it , it's been confirmed that note 3 will not be getting the 8 core patch...since it's in essence a smaller version of the note 10.1 , well you do the math.

Can someone prove me wrong?? (please)
 
havekk
Old
#3  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 8
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Baltimore
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBoX View Post
Doesn't seem like it , it's been confirmed that note 3 will not be getting the 8 core patch...since it's in essence a smaller version of the note 10.1 , well you do the math.

Can someone prove me wrong?? (please)
I believe there was a demo at CES with hmp running on the Note 10.1. I'm almost positive. Where was it confirmed the note 3 was not getting it? Just curious.
 
BarryH_GEG
Old
#4  
BarryH_GEG's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 4,151
Posts: 8,663
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Spokane, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by havekk View Post
I believe there was a demo at CES with hmp running on the Note 10.1. I'm almost positive. Where was it confirmed the note 3 was not getting it? Just curious.
If Samsung was going to add HMP to the current generation of Exynos they would have tied it to something big, like the launch of a new $750+ tablet. HMP was shown on a test tablet, not the N10.1-14. Idealists keep hoping but it's not likely to happen.

 
havekk
Old
#5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 8
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Baltimore
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryH_GEG View Post
If Samsung was going to add HMP to the current generation of Exynos they would have tied it to something big, like the launch of a new $750+ tablet. HMP was shown on a test tablet, not the N10.1-14. Idealists keep hoping but it's not likely to happen.

Do you happen to know what SoC the test tablet was running? Everything I read said it was the 5420. Btw, I don't own a Note 10.1 - I still have a ****ty iPad 3. I haven't heard anything from "idealists" just going over what I have read from folks at the event. From what I have read, it seems as likely to happen on the Note 10.1 and Note Pro as it is to NOT happen. I have heard it won't happen on the Note 3; however, I assume that is due to size and heat issues. Shouldn't be the case with the lager tablets.

Only time will tell. You or I certainly don't know. I'm gonna wait to buy a new tablet and keep an eye on it though.

Thanks,
 
BarryH_GEG
Old
#6  
BarryH_GEG's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 4,151
Posts: 8,663
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Spokane, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by havekk View Post
Do you happen to know what SoC the test tablet was running? Everything I read said it was the 5420. Btw, I don't own a Note 10.1 - I still have a ****ty iPad 3. I haven't heard anything from "idealists" just going over what I have read from folks at the event. From what I have read, it seems as likely to happen on the Note 10.1 and Note Pro as it is to NOT happen. I have heard it won't happen on the Note 3; however, I assume that is due to size and heat issues. Shouldn't be the case with the lager tablets.

Only time will tell. You or I certainly don't know. I'm gonna wait to buy a new tablet and keep an eye on it though.

Thanks,
There's not one commercial/business reason for Samsung to update tablets already on the market beyond their published specs. Zip. Zero. Nada. And there's a reason not to. If an update to the SoC goes wrong and borks the tablet they have the liability of repairs. Enthusiasts (us) know what HMP is. The masses don't know, don't care, and are fine with what they're getting/got.
 
rushless
Old
(Last edited by rushless; 16th February 2014 at 10:39 PM.)
#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 272
Posts: 3,065
Join Date: Jan 2008
I have had my Note 2014 (32GB) for two days and would not want to have both core sets running at the same time. The device can already get very warm in the SOC area and the battery drains just like my iPad 4 when playing 3D games- faster than I want it to. Games are smooth and ditto for apps, so not seeing an advantage of all eight, but see the two key disadvantages. Not running into any core hand-off issues some are reporting that can cause lag. Not yet anyway.


Added:

I use Nova for my launcher, since IMO much better than Samsung's. Based on performance, I see no reason for me to root the 2014. Very happy already, so see no need to rock the boat.
 
Stevethegreat
Old
#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 107
Posts: 736
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushless View Post
I have had my Note 2014 (32GB) for two days and would not want to have both core sets running at the same time. The device can already get very warm in the SOC area and the battery drains just like my iPad 4 when playing 3D games- faster than I want it to. Games are smooth and ditto for apps, so not seeing an advantage of all eight, but see the two key disadvantages. Not running into any core hand-off issues some are reporting that can cause lag. Not yet anyway.


Added:

I use Nova for my launcher, since IMO much better than Samsung's. Based on performance, I see no reason for me to root the 2014. Very happy already, so see no need to rock the boat.
It is completely false to say that HMP would impact battery, if anything the opposite is true. There are very few applications which could even in principle use all 8 cores. Instead most of the times 3 is where apps max out, which would make little sense to enable HMP for performance reasons. But it makes all the sense in the world to enable it for battery reasons.

Samsung released a video a couple of months ago showing just that. Having all 8 cores enabled at the same time means that you have the 4 little one take most of the workload and the 4 big ones only be enabled as needed. This would result in unbelievable battery savings. Imagine an occasion where 4 little cores are not enough, what does the current implementation of big.little does? Oh but enable the 4 big cores disabling the little ones, so it ends up at times to light all 4 big cores when 4 little ones + 1 big one would be enough, this results in far lower battery.

HMP is a great idea both in paper and in practice, see the new Note Neo, it's using HMP to perfection and manages with "lower" hardware to perform as well as it's elder brother as well as be more energy efficient. *This* should be our example. Exynos 5420 is HMP compatible and it would only take a dev to enable it. I don't think that it will happen, but *if* it will it would instantly lead to far better devices...

Note 2014 has rather mediocre battery, my gf's ipad mini with almost half the MAHs has more juice. That's partly because the exynos chip is not very energy efficient. Enable all 8 cores and it will become that...

BTW the Note Neo sources (with HMP enabled) were just released. If we had a more active community I would expect an HMP patch coming from the community soon. Sadly seeing how badly misinformed most people are about HMP I don't think anyone would put the effort required and we'd stay with gimped devices ... oh well.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Stevethegreat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Lodix
Old
#9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 69
Posts: 460
Join Date: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevethegreat View Post
It is completely false to say that HMP would impact battery, if anything the opposite is true. There are very few applications which could even in principle use all 8 cores. Instead most of the times 3 is where apps max out, which would make little sense to enable HMP for performance reasons. But it makes all the sense in the world to enable it for battery reasons.

Samsung released a video a couple of months ago showing just that. Having all 8 cores enabled at the same time means that you have the 4 little one take most of the workload and the 4 big ones only be enabled as needed. This would result in unbelievable battery savings. Imagine an occasion where 4 little cores are not enough, what does the current implementation of big.little does? Oh but enable the 4 big cores disabling the little ones, so it ends up at times to light all 4 big cores when 4 little ones + 1 big one would be enough, this results in far lower battery.

HMP is a great idea both in paper and in practice, see the new Note Neo, it's using HMP to perfection and manages with "lower" hardware to perform as well as it's elder brother as well as be more energy efficient. *This* should be our example. Exynos 5420 is HMP compatible and it would only take a dev to enable it. I don't think that it will happen, but *if* it will it would instantly lead to far better devices...

Note 2014 has rather mediocre battery, my gf's ipad mini with almost half the MAHs has more juice. That's partly because the exynos chip is not very energy efficient. Enable all 8 cores and it will become that...

BTW the Note Neo sources (with HMP enabled) were just released. If we had a more active community I would expect an HMP patch coming from the community soon. Sadly seeing how badly misinformed most people are about HMP I don't think anyone would put the effort required and we'd stay with gimped devices ... oh well.
Thanks to god there are people who talk about something with knowledge... Tired of people saying 8 cores will kill the battery and are unnecesary.

I own the qualcomm model but I hope exynos users will have HMP sooner as possible.
 
BarryH_GEG
Old
#10  
BarryH_GEG's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 4,151
Posts: 8,663
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Spokane, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevethegreat View Post
Oh but enable the 4 big cores disabling the little ones, so it ends up at times to light all 4 big cores when 4 little ones + 1 big one would be enough, this results in far lower battery.
Neither the A7 or A15 clusters run "all or nothing;" meaning you don't need HMP to run between 1-4 cores on each individual cluster. In your example, what's the energy saving between running 4 A7 + 1 A15 vs. running two A15? I don't know the answer but that's the delta as to what type of energy savings can be achieved by picking and choosing across clusters vs. stepping between 1 and 4 active cores within an individual cluster. At the end of the day each individual A7 and A15 core contributes a specific amount of performance and consumes a specific amount of energy. Software engineers set performance in steps, probably between 6-8, with each threshold using a prescribed number of cores to achieve a set performance output (and consume a set amount of energy). Today they're limited to 1-4 A7 cores or 1-4 A15 cores. Not knowing what those 6-8 stepped thresholds are who's to say what the definitive impact on energy use would be if they could choose between 1-4 A7 cores and 1-4 A15 cores?

Incidentally, Media Tek's HMP big.LITTLE SoC runs eight A7 cores (two quad A7 clusters). No one else licensing big.LITTLE is using HMP across different types of cores (EG: A7 vs. A15).



http://www.fonearena.com/blog/88620/...p-to-2ghz.html
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes