No registration required

Brace yourself, in Chromecast ads are coming

OP styckx

12th February 2014, 10:51 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,464

2,812 posts
More
You knew it was only a matter of time before someone figured out a way to fill their wallets off users by annoying them to death..

http://bgr.com/2014/02/12/chromecast-ads-coming-soon/

I will copy and paste a reply I left about this on Reddit

I can see it now for apps like Plex when Casting goes free (whenever that happens)

"We will Cast your content right after this short advertisement"

So sick of in app ads, so sick of freemium, so sick of subscription services (ie: PlexPass etc), so sick of pay to win games, so sick of every Android developer (not every, but you get the point) nickel and diming the piss out of users either with ads or micro-transactions. Enough.. Just follow the PC software model that has worked for decades. A set price, minor upgrades are free, major revisions you re-pay. The Android software market is the biggest racket.
Last edited by styckx; 12th February 2014 at 11:05 PM.
13th February 2014, 12:02 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 882

2,248 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by styckx

So sick of in app ads, so sick of freemium, so sick of subscription services (ie: PlexPass etc), so sick of pay to win games, so sick of every Android developer (not every, but you get the point) nickel and diming the piss out of users either with ads or micro-transactions. Enough.. Just follow the PC software model that has worked for decades. A set price, minor upgrades are free, major revisions you re-pay. The Android software market is the biggest racket.

While I agree, the trouble is that video content doesn't really work like software. Every new episode would be a "major" release. It's not like you can release a movie in 2-minute segments. Well, maybe if you're J.J. Abrams...

I don't mind ads as long as I have the option to pay to get rid of them. Even Netflix could opt for a cheaper ad-supported tier if they wanted to.
To be honest, I like apps that are free with ads and paid without as it gives me a way to try the app for a period longer than the Play Store's 15 minutes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bhiga For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th February 2014, 12:05 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 546

1,002 posts
[HOWTO] Chromecast/Netflix outside USA without VPN

Ad Blocking - DD-WRT Wiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga

To be honest, I like apps that are free with ads and paid without as it gives me a way to try the app for a period longer than the Play Store's 15 minutes.

Or that too.
Last edited by EarlyMon; 13th February 2014 at 12:16 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to EarlyMon For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th February 2014, 12:12 AM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor

2,248 posts
Donate to Me
Brightcove is pretty big VOD provider, but yeah, that would work as long as the stuff you want to watch isn't hosted there.
YouTube could be uber sneaky and host the ads on YouTube itself so then it would be all-or-nothing.
On the plus side, YouTube could become the resurrection of AdCritic. I miss that site...
The Following User Says Thank You to bhiga For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th February 2014, 12:21 AM   |  #5  

1,002 posts
Talk about a blast from the past. Have you seen -

http://creativity-online.com/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EarlyMon For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th February 2014, 12:48 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 104

331 posts
I think everybody is struggling to find ways to make money from this technology. Google doesn't make any money on the hardware, and consumers just don't want to pay much for software (which is why the old PC software business model is gradually failing, and you see even companies like Microsoft going to Office 365-type subscriptions). So the result is they have to find a way to make money from subscriptions, fees, and/or advertising.

Google aren't the only ones considering advertising. Mozilla just announced that they're going to start putting ads in Firefox, inserted in the page of recent sites that appears when you open a new tab.
The Following User Says Thank You to DJames1 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th February 2014, 12:57 AM   |  #7  
Recognized Contributor

2,248 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJames1

you see even companies like Microsoft going to Office 365-type subscriptions). So the result is they have to find a way to make money from subscriptions, fees, and/or advertising.

The worst thing I've encountered so far with the subscription model is how it virally forces others to buy in.
Case-in-point, I got an Adobe InDesign file that I needed to look at. Fine, I have InDesign CS6. I load it up, and it tells me I can't open it because it was made in InDesign CS7.5
At least Microsoft has Office viewers. I was stuck with the InDesign thing - either go back and ask for a flattened version or subscribe, luckily I had the opportunity to just ignore it.

Like freedom, free software truly isn't free - at least not as long as people need to eat and pay bills. Renewable energy and homesteading may be the zero-cash way, but then we won't have enough time to code!

Maybe we need to come up with some "business productive" games. People-powered OCR Hangman?
13th February 2014, 01:03 AM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,464

2,812 posts
More
Well I'll repeat something else I said

I'm guilty of being an old timer. I came into Android with 1.5 (CupCake).. The Market and Android community used to be a thriving community of freeware, innovation and great discussion.. I just hate what it turned into. It's like a gold rush and the end user is the gold and everyone is trying to sell you their bridge. I just hate how it got like this. I don't mind paying for stuff but it seem anymore it's a constant and quality has taken a back seat. It's like people stopped doing this for fun and a hobby and started trying to make a business.. Anything that is anything that is in demand someone will find a way to charge you for now a days.

P.S. I don't mind subscription services like Netflix etc. Dumb stuff like Plex Pass is a joke though. You're subbing monthly to unlock in-app features. Doesn't make any sense..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to styckx For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th February 2014, 01:21 AM   |  #9  
Recognized Contributor

2,248 posts
Donate to Me
True, when it's easy for lots of people to make apps, the market gets crowded and confused.
Doesn't help that the rating system doesn't take into account that people use ratings maliciously to complain or penalize the developer for things often that are user error or out of the dev's control.

PlexPass gives other things like their cloud thing, but yeah, it is kind of "pay to be in the beta club" but hey, if it works for them, funds their continued development, and people are willing to pay, I don't have to like it, but I can't really criticize them either.
And with the $75 PlexPass lifetime, it's the same cost as a mid-range piece of software.

On Google profits, I'm sure Chromecast sold well, we can see from the lack of rootable units on shelves...
Of course they won't tell us how much they're making (or losing) on each sale. I bet most of the profit was Google Play.
Last edited by bhiga; 13th February 2014 at 01:24 AM.
13th February 2014, 01:21 AM   |  #10  

1,002 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJames1

I think everybody is struggling to find ways to make money from this technology. Google doesn't make any money on the hardware...

Do we really know that?

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...romecast-sales

Biggest seller or a best seller in Q4 2013, depending how you take that article.

The packaging probably costs nearly as much as the product.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread