Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,438 Members 42,874 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

LCD Contrast Test

Tip us?

Darkimmortal
Old
(Last edited by Darkimmortal; 13th February 2014 at 12:19 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 178

DONATE TO ME
Default LCD Contrast Test

This is the app I used to test: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...eencolor&hl=en

Contrast - Black: Squares 6 and above are clearly distinguishable, 4 and 5 are just about visible
Contrast - White: All squares are distinguishable
Color Scale - Brightness: All squares are distinguishable
Color Scale - Saturation: Highest 4 squares are equally saturated on all but orange, light blue and grey

This is with an AUO panel and default white balance - I'm hoping someone with a JDI panel (or indeed another AUO) can weigh in with their observations.
  • Sony Xperia Z1 Compact D5503
  • Sony Xperia Tablet Z SGP311
  • Samsung Galaxy S i9000
The Following User Says Thank You to Darkimmortal For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

alpha beta gaga
Old
Thanks Meter 19
what is wrong with your display then?

ghtop
Old
Thanks Meter 44
I have the JDI (Novatek) and confirm the same crushed black levels with Color Test and Display Tester - except that only 7 and above are distinguishable. White contrast and brightness are the same as yours, but color saturation tests vary between the two apps .... personally I trust Display Tester better, which shows blues only are moderately over-saturated.

The crushed blacks are definitely noticeable in dark scenes with or without X-Reality. The panel is quite warm compared to others, and the White Balance settings are somewhat useless since they involve an overlay filter, it seems, and so just darken the screen.
The Following User Says Thank You to ghtop For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Darkimmortal
Old
(Last edited by Darkimmortal; 13th February 2014 at 06:49 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 178

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtop View Post
I have the JDI (Novatek) and confirm the same crushed black levels with Color Test and Display Tester - except that only 7 and above are distinguishable. White contrast and brightness are the same as yours, but color saturation tests vary between the two apps .... personally I trust Display Tester better, which shows blues only are moderately over-saturated.

The crushed blacks are definitely noticeable in dark scenes with or without X-Reality. The panel is quite warm compared to others, and the White Balance settings are somewhat useless since they involve an overlay filter, it seems, and so just darken the screen.
Yeah not too happy with the white balance setting compared to voodoo/cm colour settings on my old galaxy s, but gets the job done for the most part. Call me crazy but I like it even warmer than default

And hopefully there will be some software improvements to the display in Kitkat
  • Sony Xperia Z1 Compact D5503
  • Sony Xperia Tablet Z SGP311
  • Samsung Galaxy S i9000

pepeo123
Old
Thanks Meter 19
how can i know if my device use JDI or AUO panel?

louis0815
Old
Thanks Meter 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepeo123 View Post
how can i know if my device use JDI or AUO panel?
Assuming you don't like the idea of dismantling your phone to check the back side of the panel you might want to follow my instructions in this post.
Ready for an adventure? Come on board and find out...
(no sailing experience required - feel free to ask me for details or check out the homepage)

WasherUK
Old
Thanks Meter 29
It says on the back of the screen

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to WasherUK For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

WasherUK
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Yes Louis has the best way, sorry for my late reply, only just got my screen back in. Mines a JDI

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

mcghun
Old
(Last edited by mcghun; 14th April 2014 at 03:50 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Z1c black w9 telenor-hungary auo-panel (no "blue" problem)

To dark, the dark areas (too high contrast/gamma), dislike me...
But, good deep-black.

Automatic background light regulation not a good idea (automatic brightness: OFF, x-reality: OFF ).

- sorry my bad english -

pcpepik
Old
Thanks Meter 39
solution for "crushed blacks" here : http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=51945091
The Following User Says Thank You to pcpepik For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]