Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,778 Members 38,496 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Changed recovery and now TF700 won't stop rebooting (makes it all the way to Android)

Tip us?

MEETMRSCARFACE
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Changed recovery and now TF700 won't stop rebooting (makes it all the way to Android)

Hey guys, I was gifted an Asus TF700, unlocked with TWRP and an unknown ROM.

I was looking to upgrade the ROM so I tried putting Philz Recovery on the tablet by flashing the .zip in TWRP. Then I flashed a new ROM in Philz and here's where the problems start.

The tablet will boot all the way into Android, and I can use the tablet for anywhere from 10-60 seconds before it reboots. If left alone it would stay in this boot loop until the battery would die.

Now I just want to start over. I can't boot into recovery as hard as I try. It just stays at the Asus screen or restarts.

Any ideas?

_that
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEETMRSCARFACE View Post
The tablet will boot all the way into Android, and I can use the tablet for anywhere from 10-60 seconds before it reboots.
This sounds like you installed a ROM that requires a newer bootloader than the one you have installed, and you skipped the instructions of that ROM that said you have to install a compatible bootloader.

Other than that, your post is devoid of useful information. You flashed "a new ROM", and you "can't boot into recovery as hard as I try.". What did you flash, what did you try?

MEETMRSCARFACE
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by _that View Post
This sounds like you installed a ROM that requires a newer bootloader than the one you have installed, and you skipped the instructions of that ROM that said you have to install a compatible bootloader.

Other than that, your post is devoid of useful information. You flashed "a new ROM", and you "can't boot into recovery as hard as I try.". What did you flash, what did you try?
I flashed CMB 4.4.2 and I've tried every button combo I could (power + vol down, power + vol up, power for a really long time, both volume buttons for a really long time, power + both volume buttons for a really long time). Occasionally I'd make it to the screen with four options but I couldn't select anything with volume up.

I'm new to this stuff and I just kinda assumed I had the right boot loader. Oops.

Do I have any options?

_that
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,387
When it reboots again, you should be able to go to the bootloader menu by holding down volume-down (left). Then enter your recovery and flash the correct bootloader.

MEETMRSCARFACE
Old
(Last edited by MEETMRSCARFACE; 13th February 2014 at 10:21 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by _that View Post
When it reboots again, you should be able to go to the bootloader menu by holding down volume-down (left). Then enter your recovery and flash the correct bootloader.
Doesn't work. Tried both left/right volume buttons without holding the power button while it rebooted. Asus logo flashes once and then goes to the CMB ROMS screen.

lj50036
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,298

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Doesn't work. Tried both left/right volume buttons without holding the power button while it rebooted. Asus logo flashes once and then goes to the CMB ROMS screen.

So can you get to the bootloader screen? Can you PC see your devices in fastboot??

MEETMRSCARFACE
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Sorry I'm not exactly sure what the boot loader screen is. Could you elaborate?

I'll try fastboot tonight and report back but I'm afraid to try anything because the tablet really doesn't last long once it's in Android.

lj50036
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,298

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Sorry I'm not exactly sure what the boot loader screen is. Could you elaborate?

I'll try fastboot tonight and report back but I'm afraid to try anything because the tablet really doesn't last long once it's in Android.

When you boot your tablet in the screen with the RCK where you enter recovery but you don't do anything once there that is your bootloader screen and it will say in the upper left hand corner you should see something about fastboot protocol and you bootloader version also... Let me know thx lj

What is your PC's OS??

sbdags
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 12,761

DONATE TO ME
If you see 4 icons then you are in an old outdated boot loader. Don't do a while what ever you do.

You'll need to flash the latest boot loader over fastboot.

MEETMRSCARFACE
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lj50036 View Post
When you boot your tablet in the screen with the RCK where you enter recovery but you don't do anything once there that is your bootloader screen and it will say in the upper left hand corner you should see something about fastboot protocol and you bootloader version also... Let me know thx lj

What is your PC's OS??
Um. What? RCK? Sorry, I only see three different screen: Asus (says Device Unlocked or something in top left), big ugly CWM graphic, and then the Android lock screen (which I can unlock and use Android for ~30 seconds).

Running Windows 8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbdags View Post
If you see 4 icons then you are in an old outdated boot loader. Don't do a while what ever you do.

You'll need to flash the latest boot loader over fastboot.
Yeah I haven't been able to get back to that four icon screen. So where can I get the latest boot loader, and do I have to be booted into Android to flash it? How long does it take?

Trying to see if my device is recognized by fastboot now...