YouTube app

Tip us?

Madcypher
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Video YouTube app

What's up,

So I've had my Tablet Z for just about a month and the only real complaint I have is the YouTube app video quality is pretty bad! What little setting adjustments there are don't do anything to help. It looks like my player is playing lo-res 480p video on an HD screen even when HD is highlighted as the play option.

Netflix, Sony Video player and inline/embedded videos all look great so I know it's specific to the YouTube player.

Hoping that the update that's due out this week will alleviate the problem, part of the update addresses the YouTube app. I didn't know that manufacturer's had their own versions of the Google core apps, learn something new everyday.

Anybody else?

Thanks.

Felimenta97
Old
Thanks Meter 2222
They don't have their own version of the apps. They can't. Youtube, like many other apps, is closed source. The fix includes something in the file system related to YT, but not the app itself. I guess the update is related to videos most of the times stop working in the middle of it for no reason. Embed with a browser, and other apps, work just fine.

Madcypher
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felimenta97 View Post
They don't have their own version of the apps. They can't. Youtube, like many other apps, is closed source. The fix includes something in the file system related to YT, but not the app itself. I guess the update is related to videos most of the times stop working in the middle of it for no reason. Embed with a browser, and other apps, work just fine.
Thanks for the info.

How's the pic quality of your YouTube app?

thor9934
Old
Thanks Meter 53

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcypher View Post
Thanks for the info.

Check out the app called viral it solves the problem plus you can use it in floating mode or minimize it to play while screen is off when I started using viral it could go to 1080p which looks gorgeous on this device but for some reason I can only choose up to 720p but it's not tacky like it is on the official app
Well this is embaresing, after 2 years on XDA i finally found out how to add a signature

Felimenta97
Old
Thanks Meter 2222
Quote:
Thanks for the info.

I think it runs at least 720p on supported videos... I think there is a hack to force use 1080p, not sure...

Madcypher
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
So I uninstalled the most recent update and the video quality dramatically improves! I'll stay with 4.5.17 until they have another major updates.I'll miss some of the cooler navigation features of the new version, but is rather have the picture quality back.

I'm surprised I'm there's only one this affected.

rwilpstra
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
So I uninstalled the most recent update and the video quality dramatically improves! I'll stay with 4.5.17 until they have another major updates.I'll miss some of the cooler navigation features of the new version, but is rather have the picture quality back.

I'm surprised I'm there's only one this affected.
You're not the only one.... Same issues here, as well as on my dad's XTZ and my Nexus 5.... Seems like the new version of the app doesn't upscale from 720p to 1080p very nicely at all.....
My device history:

Phones:
Motorola v190
LG Rumour
Samsung Impact (t746m)
LG Optimus Chic (e720b)
Samsung Galaxy W (Exhibit II 4g) (t769m)
Google/LG Nexus 5 32GB

Tablets:
Acer Iconia a500 8GB (was running custom Jelly Bean, seemingly bricked itself; If you have any suggestions please let me know )
Nexus 7 32GB (2012)
Sony Xperia Tablet Z 16GB