Shattered Screen? Turn Your Broken Device into a Complete Media Center!

A cracked screen usually means you’ll have to spend a hefty … more

Gmail 5.0: Material Design and Multiple Account Support

Google started to materialize many of its applications right after announcing the … more

Some of Our Favorite Features in Android 5.0 Lollipop

Android 5.0 Lollipop is the latest major revision to Google’s mobile operating … more

Sony SmartEyeglass SDK Developer Preview Released

A little over a month ago in Tokyo, Japan, Sony unveiled its new SmartEyeglasstechnology. … more

Best way to reclaim memory?

OP itm

18th February 2014, 02:00 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 9

857 posts
I've just bought a used HTC Desire, and after installing only 4 apps (Google Play Store, ES File Explorer, Screen Off and Lock and Swiftkey) it is reporting only 4Mb of free memory. What's the best way of reclaiming memory? Would it be a custom ROM? If so, can anyone recommend something that's very slimline and robust? I don't need the HTC bloatware (including Sense) - just Google Maps, Swiftkey and a few other apps.

The phone is currently running Android 2.2.2, Baseband version 32.48.00.32U_5.11.05.14

Is rooting/ROMing this device pretty straightforward?
18th February 2014, 08:19 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 6,042

4,400 posts
Donate to Me
More
The best way is to create an ext partition on your sdcard and use a script (a2sd) to move apps and dalvik cache to the partition. Most custom roms support, or come with these types of scripts. You will also want to change your hboot (internal partition layout) to something more practical that allocates more space to the data partition and less to system and cache. Before doing this you will need to get s-off and a custom recovery. Post your bootloader details (turn phone off, then hold volume down + power to enter bootloader), and i will give you further advice on how to go about doing this.
18th February 2014, 08:46 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

857 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromium_

The best way is to create an ext partition on your sdcard and use a script (a2sd) to move apps and dalvik cache to the partition. Most custom roms support, or come with these types of scripts. You will also want to change your hboot (internal partition layout) to something more practical that allocates more space to the data partition and less to system and cache. Before doing this you will need to get s-off and a custom recovery. Post your bootloader details (turn phone off, then hold volume down + power to enter bootloader), and i will give you further advice on how to go about doing this.

Thanks for your help. My hboot version is 0.93.001 - does that help?
18th February 2014, 08:50 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Toronto

4,400 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by itm

Thanks for your help. My hboot version is 0.93.001 - does that help?

Yep. Your hboot is compatible with revolutionary, which is a tool used to gain s-off. S-off basically gives you the power to do stuff.

Install these drivers on your PC: http://downloads.unrevoked.com/HTCDriver3.0.0.007.exe
Enable USB debugging on the phone
Download revolutionary (create and make note of the beta key too): http://revolutionary.io/
Unzip the file, and run the executable. After thats done you should have s-off and a custom recovery installed.

Let me know when thats done, or if you need more help.
18th February 2014, 09:05 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

857 posts
Quote:

Quote:

Yep. Your hboot is compatible with revolutionary, which is a tool used to gain s-off. S-off basically gives you the power to do stuff.

Install these drivers on your PC: http://downloads.unrevoked.com/HTCDriver3.0.0.007.exe
Enable USB debugging on the phone
Download revolutionary (create and make note of the beta key too): http://revolutionary.io/
Unzip the file, and run the executable. After thats done you should have s-off and a custom recovery installed.

Let me know when thats done, or if you need more help.

OK I've run revolutionary and accepted the option to flash a new recovery (clockworkmod). How I do I get to run an a2sd script?
18th February 2014, 09:08 PM   |  #6  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Toronto

4,400 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by itm

OK I've run revolutionary and accepted the option to flash a new recovery (clockworkmod). How I do I get to run an a2sd script?

First check to see if revolutionary was indeed successful (look for s-off in bootloader details).

Also I would suggest changing your recovery to a better one such as TWRP or 4ext. (clockwordmod that revolutionary flashes is pretty old and there are much better options for the desire).

After that you can pick a rom from the development section. The majority of them have some sort of a2sd script built in.
Then download the rom of your choice and flash using your recovery. Depending on the rom you choose, activating a2sd will differ. Some have it preactivated, while others will need you to run a few commands in terminal to turn it on.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread