Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,619 Members 52,230 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

f2fs and OmniROM zips

Tip us?

klenamenis
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 68

DONATE TO ME
Default f2fs and OmniROM zips

I recently switched from ext4 to f2fs file system on all partitions. After that I flashed omni's nightly in order to update and noticed that my /system partition was reverted to ext4 due to the reformat while flashing.

I think it would be helpful if the OmniROM zips contained some sort of check routine, so the file system type could be preserved and future updates are possible without the whole process of backing up, reformatting and restoring again.

I know the file system type depends on kernel support and also the custom recovery must be able to work with it, but I think it's the users responsibility anyway. I mean, either you know what you're doing or you leave it alone, right?

I hope this gets realised or there is some compromise. Currently I'm using latest OmniROM with Devil's recovery and kernel without dualboot.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to klenamenis For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Entropy512
Old
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 24094

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by klenamenis View Post
I recently switched from ext4 to f2fs file system on all partitions. After that I flashed omni's nightly in order to update and noticed that my /system partition was reverted to ext4 due to the reformat while flashing.

I think it would be helpful if the OmniROM zips contained some sort of check routine, so the file system type could be preserved and future updates are possible without the whole process of backing up, reformatting and restoring again.

I know the file system type depends on kernel support and also the custom recovery must be able to work with it, but I think it's the users responsibility anyway. I mean, either you know what you're doing or you leave it alone, right?

I hope this gets realised or there is some compromise. Currently I'm using latest OmniROM with Devil's recovery and kernel without dualboot.

That's a lot of work and means maintainers then have to officially support testing two different filesystem configurations.

f2fs on /system is pointless since /system is only written to when updating. Even Motorola, one of the first OEMs to actually use f2fs, only uses it for /data

For devices that don't already use it, I'm not transitioning them. It doesn't offer enough performance benefits to compensate for its piss-poor data integrity. A filesystem that can get corrupted to the point of needing a complete format just to get its fsck to run without crashing (this has already happened to me TWICE on the Moto G) is just not ready for production.
*so much sig updating needed*

My Github profile - Some Android stuff, some AVR stuff

An excellent post on "noobs vs. developers"

A few opinions on kernel development "good practices"

Note: I have chosen not to use XDA's "friends" feature - I will reject all incoming "friend" requests.

Code:
<MikeyMike01> Smali is a spawn of hell
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Entropy512> gotta be careful not to step on each other's work.  :)
<Bumble-Bee> thats true
<jerdog> compeete for donations
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

klenamenis
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 68

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512 View Post
f2fs on /system is pointless since /system is only written to when updating. Even Motorola, one of the first OEMs to actually use f2fs, only uses it for /data

For devices that don't already use it, I'm not transitioning them. It doesn't offer enough performance benefits to compensate for its piss-poor data integrity. A filesystem that can get corrupted to the point of needing a complete format just to get its fsck to run without crashing (this has already happened to me TWICE on the Moto G) is just not ready for production.
Well, pretty much makes sense. I just updated and let system be ext4 formatted from now on.