Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Error when installing kitkat update

OP Paulitics

20th February 2014, 05:31 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Howard Lake
Thanks Meter: 6
 
25 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2013
More
This is a repost from the 4.4 discussion thread, I decided it would be more appropriate to ask here.

I still can't update. I've tried 4 times now (each time I have to re-download the update, it's super annoying). Each time I've tried, it fails at 27% and it just says error. After the reboot, it will say can't install update, please update using a computer (kies) or go to the nearest samsung center.

I really don't want to have to factory reset. I've tried clearing cache and making it as factory settings as possible, but still nothing. I'm completely stock, not rooted with official device status... What the hell samsung? Also, I downloaded the latest kies and it says my firmware is up to date, so that's not gonna work.

Any advice? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N900P using xda app-developers app
20th February 2014, 06:19 PM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Flag Midwest
Thanks Meter: 368
 
757 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2009
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulitics

This is a repost from the 4.4 discussion thread, I decided it would be more appropriate to ask here.

I still can't update. I've tried 4 times now (each time I have to re-download the update, it's super annoying). Each time I've tried, it fails at 27% and it just says error. After the reboot, it will say can't install update, please update using a computer (kies) or go to the nearest samsung center.

I really don't want to have to factory reset. I've tried clearing cache and making it as factory settings as possible, but still nothing. I'm completely stock, not rooted with official device status... What the hell samsung? Also, I downloaded the latest kies and it says my firmware is up to date, so that's not gonna work.

Any advice? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N900P using xda app-developers app

Assuming you are attempting to d/l the update via WiFi, correct?

Something else to try is clearing data for (I believe) Google Framework and re-attempting the update. This worked on my son's S3.
The Following User Says Thank You to rpenrod23 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th February 2014, 06:24 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Flag Howard Lake
Thanks Meter: 6
 
25 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpenrod23

Assuming you are attempting to d/l the update via WiFi, correct?

Something else to try is clearing data for (I believe) Google Framework and re-attempting the update. This worked on my son's S3.

Yep, I'm downloading over wifi, but I can try clearing data for Google play services. Thanks! I'll let you know if it works.

Sent from my SM-N900P using xda app-developers app
20th February 2014, 10:40 PM   |  #4  
JSnively's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 115
 
431 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2008
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulitics

Yep, I'm downloading over wifi, but I can try clearing data for Google play services. Thanks! I'll let you know if it works.

Sent from my SM-N900P using xda app-developers app

Paulitics,

Did you ever root your phone? I only rooted my to do the hot spot hack then unrooted mine is also failing at 27%.
The Following User Says Thank You to JSnively For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th February 2014, 11:41 PM   |  #5  
insane209's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag modesto, ca
Thanks Meter: 416
 
481 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulitics

This is a repost from the 4.4 discussion thread, I decided it would be more appropriate to ask here.

I still can't update. I've tried 4 times now (each time I have to re-download the update, it's super annoying). Each time I've tried, it fails at 27% and it just says error. After the reboot, it will say can't install update, please update using a computer (kies) or go to the nearest samsung center.

I really don't want to have to factory reset. I've tried clearing cache and making it as factory settings as possible, but still nothing. I'm completely stock, not rooted with official device status... What the hell samsung? Also, I downloaded the latest kies and it says my firmware is up to date, so that's not gonna work.

Any advice? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N900P using xda app-developers app

This thread might help:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2653624




Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnively

Paulitics,

Did you ever root your phone? I only rooted my to do the hot spot hack then unrooted mine is also failing at 27%.



Sent from Sprint Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to insane209 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st February 2014, 03:00 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member
Flag Howard Lake
Thanks Meter: 6
 
25 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnively

Paulitics,

Did you ever root your phone? I only rooted my to do the hot spot hack then unrooted mine is also failing at 27%.

Actually, I did at one point I was rooted, but I unrooted and factory reset. My device says official, but it's probably not good enough for an ota update to pass. I plan on flashing mj4 later using Odin and factory resetting to get completely stock.

Sent from my SM-N900P using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to Paulitics For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st February 2014, 05:03 PM   |  #7  
hareofthedog's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 9
 
45 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
That would be wise. Simply unrooting by itself doesn't take you to bone stock IF the reason you rooted in the first place was to, say, debloat or otherwise hack some functionality onto this bad boy.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
Last edited by hareofthedog; 21st February 2014 at 05:05 PM.
22nd February 2014, 03:01 AM   |  #8  
insane209's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag modesto, ca
Thanks Meter: 416
 
481 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2012
More
To get ota from mj4: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2657303

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
Last edited by insane209; 22nd February 2014 at 03:08 AM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes