Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,743,085 Members 43,356 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] What does it mean when ODIN MODE boots up into "Downloading..."

Tip us?

curiousmike
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default [Q] What does it mean when ODIN MODE boots up into "Downloading..."

I have a Tab 3 8.0 which I've done various installs with, and am trying to get back to stock.
But I can't, because when I enter recovery (power + down), ODIN MODE comes up with
Current Binary: Custom
Current Status: Custom

Downloading...
Do not turn off target !!

I've tried flashing stock firmware, other firmware, stock kernel etc.

I've read the process for going back to stock in the Tab 3 8.0 forum, but i think Odin (on PC) is failing because of the "Download..." state on the device.
(Also, when I try to run Kies it just continuously tries to connect to the device without success. The device will show up as media device in Win 7.)

Galaxy S3 L710 - The Collective --- 4.3.1
Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 T310 - CyanogenMod 10.2 --- 4.3.1

pengpengback
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousmike View Post
I have a Tab 3 8.0 which I've done various installs with, and am trying to get back to stock.
But I can't, because when I enter recovery (power + down), ODIN MODE comes up with
Current Binary: Custom
Current Status: Custom

Downloading...
Do not turn off target !!

I've tried flashing stock firmware, other firmware, stock kernel etc.

I've read the process for going back to stock in the Tab 3 8.0 forum, but i think Odin (on PC) is failing because of the "Download..." state on the device.
(Also, when I try to run Kies it just continuously tries to connect to the device without success. The device will show up as media device in Win 7.)

Why go back?
There are many costomed stock Roms in the development thread.
Download one of them ,then flash via recovery.

Brian D
Old
Thanks Meter 29
If (or when) you press "V-down + power" and the screen image you have appears, then the device is ready for a download. If you go no further than that, you have booted into download mode. Nothing else. It will just sit there until you either reboot (hold power button down until display goes blank) or connect your device to your PC and download your OEM ROM.

Now, if (or when) you connect your PC and start ODIN's ROM download process, do not remove the USB cable, power off either the PC or the device, or you will end up doing serious (firmware) harm to your device.

curiousmike
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian D View Post
If (or when) you press "V-down + power" and the screen image you have appears, then the device is ready for a download. If you go no further than that, you have booted into download mode. Nothing else. It will just sit there until you either reboot (hold power button down until display goes blank) or connect your device to your PC and download your OEM ROM.

Now, if (or when) you connect your PC and start ODIN's ROM download process, do not remove the USB cable, power off either the PC or the device, or you will end up doing serious (firmware) harm to your device.
If that's the case, then I must have something wrong on the PC end now. ODIN ( on PC ) refuses to 'see' it as does KIES.
However, if I just plug it in without either of those programs running, it does show up in File Explorer and I can browse the folders on the device.

Brian D
Old
Thanks Meter 29
If this were I having this problem, I would download the ODIN 3.07 again and use this new version. I would also reload my USB drivers. At least that would equalize everything with a fresh install. I would also go into TWRP and restore your last backup (that is if you have done a backup).

I have this old saying that got stuck in my head a long time ago; if it worked once, it will work again. Just be persistent and follow a methodical plan to get yourself back up and running.

curiousmike
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
So, I had Philz Touch as the recovery - I installed the latest TWRP, then re-installed the stock firmware.

DownloadMode now no longer shows the text in the upper left (ODIN MODE/product/current/system).

1. If i boot the tablet all the way into android, then boot Odin, it will see the tablet and give it an ID (but I can't flash a firmware from here.)
2. If i boot the tablet into download mode, then boot Odin, Odin will *not* see the tablet.