5,598,938 Members 31,125 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[solved] OTA update (176.44.1) fails w/ CWM or ends in bootloop w/ stock recovery

Tip us?

Kleo2
Old
(Last edited by Kleo2; 22nd February 2014 at 06:24 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Question [solved] OTA update (176.44.1) fails w/ CWM or ends in bootloop w/ stock recovery

Hi guys,

I'm running my Moto G 16GB on Kitkat 4.4.2 system version 175.44.1.falcon_umts.Retail.en.DE. Today it offered to download and install the latest OTA update (called 176.44.1.en.DE). I started the download and tried to install it.

After downloading the update was placed in /cache. The file name was 'Blur_Version.175.44.1.falcon_umts.Retail.en.DE.zi p', which surprised me. I was expecting something like 'Blur_Version.176.44.1.falcon_umts.Retail.en.DE.zi p'.

When I tried to install it without removing root and without going back to stock recovery it ended with a signature error in CWM. Installing the untrusted zip manually didn't work as well - as expected.

Then I tried to follow advise from other threads and went back to stock recovery (extracted from a full install package 'Blur_Version.175.44.1.falcon_umts.Retail.en.DE' - 444MB) That seemed to work and the install of the OTA update went fine before getting stuck on the boot animation on the first boot. It sat there for 10 minutes before I rebooted and restored a CWM backup.

I'm running out of ideas. Some say it's sufficient to go back to stock recovery temporarily. Others say you need to go back to full stock.

I have to repeat that I'm rooted and that I've de-activated a few unused apps (mainly harmless google stuff (hangout, search, music and so on) and Motorola Assist, Migrate and 'Context Services') .

Are there further findings about what stops the OTA from succeeding?

Many thanks in advance,
Kleo2

S0bes
Old
Thanks Meter 77

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleo2 View Post
Hi guys,

I'm running my Moto G 16GB on Kitkat 4.4.2 system version 175.44.1.falcon_umts.Retail.en.DE. Today it offered to download and install the latest OTA update (called 176.44.1.en.DE). I started the download and tried to install it.

After downloading the update was placed in /cache. The file name was 'Blur_Version.175.44.1.falcon_umts.Retail.en.DE.zi p', which surprised me. I was expecting something like 'Blur_Version.176.44.1.falcon_umts.Retail.en.DE.zi p'.

When I tried to install it without removing root and without going back to stock recovery it ended with a signature error in CWM. Installing the untrusted zip manually didn't work as well - as expected.

Then I tried to follow advise from other threads and went back to stock recovery (extracted from a full install package 'Blur_Version.175.44.1.falcon_umts.Retail.en.DE' - 444MB) That seemed to work and the install of the OTA update went fine before getting stuck on the boot animation on the first boot. It sat there for 10 minutes before I rebooted and restored a CWM backup.

I'm running out of ideas. Some say it's sufficient to go back to stock recovery temporarily. Others say you need to go back to full stock.

I have to repeat that I'm rooted and that I've de-activated a few unused apps (mainly harmless google stuff (hangout, search, music and so on) and Motorola Assist, Migrate and 'Context Services') .

Are there further findings about what stops the OTA from succeeding?

Many thanks in advance,
Kleo2
If your phone is rooted or there is a CWM installed or there is any change in system files then ota will fail till you flash stock rom. You can't just bring back stock recovery. You have to "delete" root as well.
There is some info http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...50&postcount=6

CromoPT
Old
Thanks Meter 12
I will post my case here, I had the same problem, I had CWM and root and when I rebooted to update I get installation failed and boot loop.

Then I just flashed stock recovery (only) rebooted and now I already have the update installed

Kleo2
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CromoPT View Post
I will post my case here, I had the same problem, I had CWM and root and when I rebooted to update I get installation failed and boot loop.

Then I just flashed stock recovery (only) rebooted and now I already have the update installed
Hi, thanks for your replies. Because of your report and others, who state the same (installing stock recovery only to get the update working) I was hoping to get around going back to full stock. It always takes a lot of time to configure the phone the way it was configured before essentially wiping.

Just to repeat what I did: when I try to install the OTA while CWM is installed there's just an error message in CWM, the update fails, but the phone is working normally afterwards. It's just not updated.

When I try with stock recovery the update process finishes without errors, but the phone get stuck during the boot animation.
Maybe there's a way to fix the boot loop?

Looking forward to any suggestions
Cheers, Kleo2

Kleo2
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
I tried again and found a way without going back to full stock.

1. flashed stock recovery from full 175.44.1 image
2. let the phone download the OTA and restart to install it
3. ota install in stock recovery went fine
4. reboot -> stuck on boot animation again
5. flashed CWM and wiped cache AND dalvik cache
6. next boot took longer than normal but got past the boot animation
7. android optimized/cached my apps and then started normally
8. version is now 176.44.1 and the phone seems to work normally (after 30 minutes of usage)

Hope that helps someone and that I won't have issues going forward because I did it this way.

Cheers, Kleo2
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kleo2 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rygel16
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Thanks. Did 1 to 3 and phone booted just fine (not stuck on boot animation)

My phone: No logo fix, root, Xposed Framework
After update root was still there, Xposed needed a new install
The Following User Says Thank You to rygel16 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jdhollan
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:

1. flashed stock recovery from full 175.44.1 image
2. let the phone download the OTA and restart to install it
3. ota install in stock recovery went fine
4. reboot -> stuck on boot animation again
5. flashed CWM and wiped cache AND dalvik cache
6. next boot took longer than normal but got past the boot animation
7. android optimized/cached my apps and then started normally
8. version is now 176.44.1 and the phone seems to work normally (after 30 minutes of usage)

Hope that helps someone and that I won't have issues going forward because I did it this way.
Cheers, Kleo2
Thanks,

Wiping cache and dalvik cache did the trick for me. You saved my day

Hui91
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Before flashing stock ROM try to clear/format all your partitions with a custom recovery!

Sent from my XT1032 using xda app-developers app
Moto G, unlocked &rooted, Stock Tesco ROM 4.4.2
Customized with Xposed Framework: Gravity Box

BlackSheep66
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I installed the OTA update using the CWM recovery but not root, I changed the update-script to not give error during installation
Tags
boot loop, cwm, ota, root