Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,888 Members 35,984 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Case or Raw Dog?

Tip us?
 
UnexplainedBacon
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Posts: 110
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Mount Vernon WA
Default Case or Raw Dog?

Simple question. Do you rock a case on the Note 3, or are you running it raw dog style?

I've now tried two cases, the Spigen Neo Hybrid and the UAG. Didnt like the Spigen at all. Love the storm trooper look of the UAG but that thing is nearly impossible to remove and it doubles the thickness of the phone. Plus, as a huge fan of the appearance of the Note3, I'm not sure I'd really like any case at all.

Thinking of throwing a tempered glass protector on the screen and calling it good.
 
SirBindy
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 82
Posts: 475
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester, NY
I run it naked.
VZW Galaxy Note 3
 
bigmiketn
Old
#3  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 23
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Gallatin, TN
I love the look too, but not the feel. The leather appearance of the back looks great but gives very little grip. I have an otterbox defender and that same old patterned belt clip/holster that Verizon has been selling for years with their smartphones. I almost bought that spigen s-view case until I saw pictures of how it cracked one user's screen. I don't really like cases on my phone either but i'm not brave enough to go without a case. Samsung phones have been known to be kinda fragile.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
LeftyGR
Old
#4  
LeftyGR's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 772
Posts: 1,158
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bloomington, IL
Case. Don't remember who makes it, but it's sturdy.




It slips over the top and bottom, rather than back/front. So it will not pop off when you drop it.
And it has a kickstand on the back!

<Note3>
I will not apologize for art.
 
teejaymarx
Old
#5  
teejaymarx's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 292
Posts: 1,362
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pittsburgh
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyGR View Post
Case. Don't remember who makes it, but it's sturdy.




It slips over the top and bottom, rather than back/front. So it will not pop off when you drop it.
And it has a kickstand on the back!

<Note3>
That's a Platinum brand case... sold at Best Buy. They are expensive... The markup is over 90%...employees pay sub $5

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
VZW Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Stock Rooted
The Following User Says Thank You to teejaymarx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
LeftyGR
Old
#6  
LeftyGR's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 772
Posts: 1,158
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bloomington, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by teejaymarx View Post
That's a Platinum brand case... sold at Best Buy. They are expensive... The markup is over 90%...employees pay sub $5

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Yeah, I think I paid $30-ish for it. Had one for my last phone, an S3. Dropped it 3 stories off a balcony onto a sidewalk. There was a decent dash on the case, but no phone damage. Definitely worth it.

<Note3>
I will not apologize for art.
The Following User Says Thank You to LeftyGR For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
SelbowDaEskimo
Old
#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 10
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Queen City
I love running the Note 3 naked. The only issue is that the back gets slippery at times. I had my first drop today 😱. I like my Spigen case, but it's difficult to plug headphones in sometimes.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
siciliano777
Old
#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 20
Posts: 211
Join Date: Nov 2013
I run it naked as well. I'm actually more worried about scratching the display since I haven't dropped a phone in many years (knock on wood!). I've been contemplating getting the S view cover since it doesn't add to the thickness at all, but I use the phone so much it would be such a hassle to keep having to open it (and hold it open while using it).

I'm insanely ocd about the display because it somehow got scratched on my last phone (gnex) like a month after I bought it, just by putting it display side down on a table. It bothered the hell out of me for the following 23 months straight. Scratch resistant my ass.

I've tried a few glass screen protectors but they eventually peel away at the edges and it looks horrible. Suffice to say I'll never put ANY phone display side down again, and I always have a death grip on it when I'm using it...so I'm good to go.
The Following User Says Thank You to siciliano777 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
bigmiketn
Old
#9  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 23
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Gallatin, TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by siciliano777 View Post
I run it naked as well. I'm actually more worried about scratching the display since I haven't dropped a phone in many years (knock on wood!). I've been contemplating getting the S view cover since it doesn't add to the thickness at all, but I use the phone so much it would be such a hassle to keep having to open it (and hold it open while using it).

I'm insanely ocd about the display because it somehow got scratched on my last phone (gnex) like a month after I bought it, just by putting it display side down on a table. It bothered the hell out of me for the following 23 months straight. Scratch resistant my ass.

I've tried a few glass screen protectors but they eventually peel away at the edges and it looks horrible. Suffice to say I'll never put ANY phone display side down again, and I always have a death grip on it when I'm using it...so I'm good to go.
That phone is why I won't buy anything without gorilla glass again. It got scratched on something in my pocket. Except there wasn't anything in my pocket.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
siciliano777
Old
(Last edited by siciliano777; 24th February 2014 at 03:02 PM.)
#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 20
Posts: 211
Join Date: Nov 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmiketn View Post
That phone is why I won't buy anything without gorilla glass again. It got scratched on something in my pocket. Except there wasn't anything in my pocket.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
I always thought the gnex had gorilla glass...??? That's why I'm so paranoid about this phone. I know it's obviously a much newer technology as far as the glass, but I'm paranoid nonetheless.

I would love to see a legitimate scratch test done. I could only find one test done and it was with a knife, and wasn't really that clear. When the hell would I ever scratch the display with a knife?!?

They need to do some common sense, real world testing...i.e. putting the phone in and out of jean pockets with the metal rivets on them, and with keys and other objects in the pocket. Also placing it display side down on different surfaces and moving it around, etc.
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes