XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Fiio E07k works with the Xperia Z Ultra

Tip us?

SPtheALIEN
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 39
Default Fiio E07k works with the Xperia Z Ultra

I finally got around to trying it out and seeing if it would work.

It does.

Micro USB OTG to mini USB cable. It's not pretty, and I know some people on ebay make it, but I have lots of these individual cables around, so I figured I'd Frankenstein then together.

Works awesomely. Stock, unrooted phone. Also works with my Xperia ZL.

Sent from my C6806 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to SPtheALIEN For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SPtheALIEN
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 39
To clarify, when I said people in eBay make it, I was referring to a single cable with a micro on one side and a mini on the other. I haven't tested to see if those work.

beerope
Old
Thanks Meter 44
what does it do?
Galaxy Note-SuperNexus
Nexus 10-ParanoidAndroid

SPtheALIEN
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 39
Takes the audio processing away from the phone and also amplifies the headphones. Cleaner and more powerful sound.

shaolin95
Old
Thanks Meter 863
Thanks a lot for the pics! I will make a decision today about which one to buy.
When using as a DAC, do you still get the Sound Enhancements/X-Clarity options to work or only the dac settings work at that time?

Gayest quote ever from MST3K!
"You know Captain, every year of my life, I grow more and more convinced that the wisest and best is to fix our attention on the good and the beautiful...if you just take the time to look at it.".

My Galaxy Note Games & Apps previews YOUTUBE channel

ubertwik
Old
Thanks Meter 6
I have fiio e6 about 2 yrs. Now I needed an upgrade I'm about to get the e17. Want to try dac. Like also to know if the sound enhancement works on dac.

Sent from my C6833 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

julz
Old
Thanks Meter 23
nice find! Alternatively a cheaper, more portable option might be to pick up a bluetooth receiver with audio out that supports APTX. That way it gives you wireless audio that is higher fidelity and bypasses the Xperia Z Ultra's internal DAC. The BlueAnt bluetooth streamer here looks good and is pretty cheap at ~$29. You can just get rid of the crappy earphones it comes with and use your own. However one of the reasons for using a headphone amp like the Fiio is to also boost the output to drive certain headphones that need it.
More on aptX here

You can always get some very nice Harmon Kardon headphones with aptX built in like these
--==SONY XPERIA Z ULTRA FAN SITE==--

Become a Sony Xperia Z Ultra Fan on Facebook!
Current devices: Sony Xperia Z Ultra, Sony SmartWatch 2, HTC Sensation
Most recent past devices: HTC One X, Samsung Nexus S, HTC Magic

SPtheALIEN
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 39
The BlueAnt Ribbon is the one I have and suggested it to a user in another thread here.

The Following User Says Thank You to SPtheALIEN For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

shaolin95
Old
Thanks Meter 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPtheALIEN View Post
The BlueAnt Ribbon is the one I have and suggested it to a user in another thread here.

Can you please test the Sound Enhancement/X-Clarity features with the DAC to see if they still do anything to the signal?
I would think they wont work but not sure.

Also I read this at headfi from a FiiO rep
"Also , we will not suggest our users use our E7,E07K, or E17 work as extra DAC for your android phone, because all will consume power from your phones, the only difference is how many current. "
Since I use my phone on the dock that is not such a problem but still curious if this is real..not sure why it would need to draw more voltage from our phone.

Gayest quote ever from MST3K!
"You know Captain, every year of my life, I grow more and more convinced that the wisest and best is to fix our attention on the good and the beautiful...if you just take the time to look at it.".

My Galaxy Note Games & Apps previews YOUTUBE channel

SPtheALIEN
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 39
I don't believe it works outside of the Walkman app.

That's OK, though, because I'd seems to crash the bass and make the highs far too shrill.