Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,156 Members 47,471 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] [L7]New to all this, pls help

Tip us?
 
tab0rda
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 17
Join Date: Aug 2013
Question [Q] [L7]New to all this, pls help

So I'm getting a brand new L7 tomorrow and I really don't like that it comes only with android 4.0 and Lg's skin.
I want to root and install a custom ROM, and after the (very little) research I've made it looks like that the CarbonRom for 4.4.2 (p705) is the more "stable" (pls correct me if I'm wrong). In the website it said that the device has NFC so it must be the p700 which may force me to install a different kernel (to work with the ROM).
My doubts are if I can keep updating the ROM, as new updates came out, without losing my data/settings? And if something goes wrong how do I go to stock (as it came by Lg)?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my English, it's not my first language
 
Lukijs
Old
#2  
Lukijs's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 205
Posts: 765
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tab0rda View Post
So I'm getting a brand new L7 tomorrow and I really don't like that it comes only with android 4.0 and Lg's skin.
I want to root and install a custom ROM, and after the (very little) research I've made it looks like that the CarbonRom for 4.4.2 (p705) is the more "stable" (pls correct me if I'm wrong). In the website it said that the device has NFC so it must be the p700 which may force me to install a different kernel (to work with the ROM).
My doubts are if I can keep updating the ROM, as new updates came out, without losing my data/settings? And if something goes wrong how do I go to stock (as it came by Lg)?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my English, it's not my first language
It wil lcome with 4.1.2 .. also sucks to get L7, it really sucks...after you have a custom rom, you can keep updating it without losing any data by just wiping cache and dalvik cache in cmw and then flashing new build.
Device- Galaxy SIII
ROM- PA 4.5 Alpha 2
----------
Asus Nexus 7 (2013)
ROM - Purity ROM
The Following User Says Thank You to Lukijs For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
tab0rda
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 17
Join Date: Aug 2013
Thank you, for answering me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukijs View Post
It wil lcome with 4.1.2 .. also sucks to get L7, it really sucks...after you have a custom rom, you can keep updating it without losing any data by just wiping cache and dalvik cache in cmw and then flashing new build.
Didn't choose, it's a replacement for my old cellphone (an old Nokia)... Ok, that's good then. One doubt about the base band if I understand correctly I need to install/flash the correct one from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2335273, (I live in Portugal so I guess it's the Europe one), this is after or before the installation of a custom rom?
Do you recommend a OC kermel for p700 compatible with the ROM I was talking about?
 
Lukijs
Old
#4  
Lukijs's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 205
Posts: 765
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tab0rda View Post
Thank you, for answering me


Didn't choose, it's a replacement for my old cellphone (an old Nokia)... Ok, that's good then. One doubt about the base band if I understand correctly I need to install/flash the correct one from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2335273, (I live in Portugal so I guess it's the Europe one), this is after or before the installation of a custom rom?
Do you recommend a OC kermel for p700 compatible with the ROM I was talking about?
No need for baseband if you're running jelly bean+(v20)
Though you will need to root phone and install CMW(clockworkmod) so you can flash roms, but it's easy and everythings here.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2486512
also abut kernels, there was a kernel in carbon topic for p700, just skim through pages.
Device- Galaxy SIII
ROM- PA 4.5 Alpha 2
----------
Asus Nexus 7 (2013)
ROM - Purity ROM
 
tab0rda
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 17
Join Date: Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukijs View Post
No need for baseband if you're running jelly bean+(v20)
Though you will need to root phone and install CMW(clockworkmod) so you can flash roms, but it's easy and everythings here.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2486512
also abut kernels, there was a kernel in carbon topic for p700, just skim through pages.
Nice that makes things easier
yeah, I have rooted an old tablet (nook color) and it was fairly easy it's just that this is supposed to be my daily driver so I just want to be extra careful

Already saw it thanks, now I'm just deciding between "installing" Carbon and CM by Cr3pT (4.4.2) they both look stable enough and smooth....
 
Lukijs
Old
#6  
Lukijs's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 205
Posts: 765
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tab0rda View Post
Nice that makes things easier
yeah, I have rooted an old tablet (nook color) and it was fairly easy it's just that this is supposed to be my daily driver so I just want to be extra careful

Already saw it thanks, now I'm just deciding between "installing" Carbon and CM by Cr3pT (4.4.2) they both look stable enough and smooth....
Cr3pt is really good, it's stock CM11 experience, carbon is more modded same as vanir and kitkat prime also slimkat is relly good but in few last builds hardware buttons werent working.
Device- Galaxy SIII
ROM- PA 4.5 Alpha 2
----------
Asus Nexus 7 (2013)
ROM - Purity ROM
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Browse the Internet with the Innovative Atlas Web Browser

For the most part, Chrome, Firefox, and Dolphin Browser have no real rivals among … more

Choose from Over a Thousand Battery Styles with 3Minit Battery Mod

The battery style in stock Android looks pretty dull. It doesn’t … more

Organize Your Cloud Storage Files with Unclouded

Cloud storage services like Dropbox or Google Drive have grown in popularity dramatically … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: Blur Your System Notification Panel – XDA Developer TV

Listen, we love innovative applications and modules that … more