Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,524 Members 42,484 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

4.4.2 BloatWare

Tip us?

Sezmar
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 36
Default 4.4.2 BloatWare

Has anyone noticed how much they have moved it around. I mean not only is it in /data/data/ /data/etc/ /system/app/ and other places, they now put in /system/priv-app/ and others. They are really trying to hide it this time lol. I was think of putting a new list together if people are interested.

I do a lot of traveling, so it may take a few day before I can sit down to complete it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sezmar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TheKraken13
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezmar View Post
Has anyone noticed how much they have moved it around. I mean not only is it in /data/data/ /data/etc/ /system/app/ and other places, they now put in /system/priv-app/ and others. They are really trying to hide it this time lol. I was think of putting a new list together if people are interested.

I do a lot of traveling, so it may take a few day before I can sit down to complete it.
I'd love to see a list of where they put the bloatware and if possible a list of anything that you have removed without causing any issues. Thanks for your work on this!
The Following User Says Thank You to TheKraken13 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

linuxtad
Old
(Last edited by linuxtad; 21st May 2014 at 03:24 AM.)
Thanks Meter 9
I vaguely recall reading an article or press release/quote that samsug had heard consumers and are scaling back on bloat with less forced installs on the S5. It seemed like shortly after that, new apps started appearing on my phone, as if to ratchet it up on S4 users...

In any case between Samsung, Google and Sprint I have over 40 apps disabled/frozen or uninstalled. It's beyond ridiculous at this point.
Currently on Galaxy S4 with Saferoot
Epic 4G Touch with sfhub's FF18 One Click w/ Root. (RIP: Steady blue light no power on)

ekz13
Old
Thanks Meter 72
what's everyone using to freeze, I'm trying to avoid having to rename them all to .bak or straight up deleting.. titanium? or something else..
--------------------------------------------
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln

I have neither the time nor the inclination to differentiate between the incompetent and the merely unfortunate. - Curtis LeMay

Sezmar
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekz13 View Post
what's everyone using to freeze, I'm trying to avoid having to rename them all to .bak or straight up deleting.. titanium? or something else..
I just delete, remember some of the bloat is in /system/priv-app/

use your recovery choice to make a backup to your sd card
The Following User Says Thank You to Sezmar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

CatFood
Old
(Last edited by CatFood; 22nd May 2014 at 01:21 AM.)
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekz13 View Post
Could just disable the app in the app manager, quite a few allow it, those that don't can just change to.bak. That way if something is not working you can enable things later if something is misbehaving.
The Following User Says Thank You to CatFood For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

xfullmetal17
Old
Thanks Meter 45

DONATE TO ME
From my experience, it would appear that items in /system/app can be disabled through app manager, but not in /system/priv-app. I lasted maybe a week on the stock ROM and then flashed Cyanogenmod, so I don't know exactly if that's true or not.
Look! A distraction!

mxmr
Old
Thanks Meter 130
You might want to check out this thread as it has given you a good head start, but it just doesn't include the sprint bloatware. I'd be interested to know what sprint specific apk's can be removed from stock NAE without messing up any of the network stuff.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mxmr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]