5,598,297 Members 47,872 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Samsung S5 lol

Tip us?
 
Epitaph570
Old
(Last edited by Epitaph570; 25th February 2014 at 03:54 AM.) Reason: spelling
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 30
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Texas
Default Samsung S5 lol

I'm really not impressed by the S5 at all. HTC it's yours for the taking.
What are your thoughts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Epitaph570 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
fr0st420
Old
#2  
fr0st420's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 359
Posts: 1,398
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Kaukauna, WI

 
DONATE TO ME
Heart rate monitor is pretty cool. Looks the same as the s4 so if you like that look you should be happy.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to fr0st420 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
rank78
Old
#3  
rank78's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 102
Posts: 612
Join Date: Dec 2009
As long as you slap a cover on the S5 it won't matter if it was decorated pink and covered in flowers. If the M8 does have that bezel and soft keys like the numerous leaked pics show then you're going to have to get creative on how to hide that monumental f-up. My brother is looking to upgrade his EVO LTE and as much as I've refrained from recommending Samsung I just can't get over the M8's apparent waste of screen space.
 
phat78boy
Old
#4  
Member
Thanks Meter 13
Posts: 59
Join Date: Sep 2006
Don't people consider the unnecessary hardware buttons by Samsung a waste of screen space? To me the M8 looks much better. I don't think the HTC label at the bottom is all that bad either.
 
rank78
Old
#5  
rank78's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 102
Posts: 612
Join Date: Dec 2009
Not exact comparison but you get the idea. Samsung's hardware button doesn't have the same impact as HTC's bezel-software combo. It almost looks like the M8 has a bigger bezel than the One but can't tell for sure. Rumor is the M8will have a 0.3-0.4 screen increase over the One, and judging by the illustration that isn't enough to overcome the real estate being used by the software keys. No idea how newcomers will feel but I know if I bought the M8 in this form, every time I look at the screen it will remind me of the extra room I had on my One. I mean, what did HTC do with the extra room inside? Did the extra lens up top mean they had to move things around toward the bottom? I would love to hear HTC's excuse for this, it really irritates me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mockup-htc-m8-leoside.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	218.1 KB
ID:	2600077  
 
gmelchert
Old
#6  
gmelchert's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 13
Posts: 379
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Oakland
Quote:
Originally Posted by rank78 View Post
Not exact comparison but you get the idea. Samsung's hardware button doesn't have the same impact as HTC's bezel-software combo. It almost looks like the M8 has a bigger bezel than the One but can't tell for sure. Rumor is the M8will have a 0.3-0.4 screen increase over the One, and judging by the illustration that isn't enough to overcome the real estate being used by the software keys. No idea how newcomers will feel but I know if I bought the M8 in this form, every time I look at the screen it will remind me of the extra room I had on my One. I mean, what did HTC do with the extra room inside? Did the extra lens up top mean they had to move things around toward the bottom? I would love to hear HTC's excuse for this, it really irritates me.
Quite possible that bezel has functionality. Fingerprint reader? Gestures? And with 3rd party development I'm sure buttons could be mapped to the allegedly "wasted real estate"

Sent from my HTCONE using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
theotrman
Old
#7  
theotrman's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 212
Posts: 930
Join Date: May 2011
Location: EVERYWHERE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rank78 View Post
As long as you slap a cover on the S5 it won't matter if it was decorated pink and covered in flowers. If the M8 does have that bezel and soft keys like the numerous leaked pics show then you're going to have to get creative on how to hide that monumental f-up. My brother is looking to upgrade his EVO LTE and as much as I've refrained from recommending Samsung I just can't get over the M8's apparent waste of screen space.
My concern as well. We have immersive mode, but it takes a little tinkering to make the ascetics of the screen seem nice while staring at it.

From what I've read most of the reasoning behind this change is so SENSE can become a lighter UI as it relates to future ANDROID updates. It should help future update processes become a smoother transition. Changes like soft keys potentially help them market the point that HTC will update future flagships fir 2 years.

Crossing my fingers for them to get creative with the HTC LOGO at the bottom of the screen.


We can all pick apart what any said manufacturer or designer does or does not do, but my take on HTC is they have made a company wide change in philosophy, implemented herr in the US and in UK to have a grassroots touch with their customer.

They want our input and to me it shows.



Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
 
fachadick
Old
#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 655
Posts: 2,291
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Northern NJ

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr0st420 View Post
Heart rate monitor is pretty cool. Looks the same as the s4 so if you like that look you should be happy.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
I use this heart rate monitor by runtastic on my one and it works great - I've tested it against a real polar hrm, and it's incredibly accurate. To the extent that I think having one built in is just a gimmick.
Always wanted a DropBox account? Sign up here.
"Surrealism is the best kind of ism" - Potato Cumberbund.
"What if we die and it turns out God is a big chicken?? What then?!" - Calvin.
The Following User Says Thank You to fachadick For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
ctiger
Old
#9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 15
Posts: 266
Join Date: Oct 2008
Is the s5 water tight? That gotta be a cool thing. also, how did they do with heart rate? I don't think put the phone in your pocket you can get heart rate.
 
THADDIUS25
Old
#10  
THADDIUS25's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 180
Posts: 588
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SELMA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctiger View Post
Is the s5 water tight? That gotta be a cool thing. also, how did they do with heart rate? I don't think put the phone in your pocket you can get heart rate.
The heart rate thing is just a app I think. There's already a app in the playstore that does the same thing. And the dust proof and water tight is old , Sony been doing that.

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes