Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,442 Members 41,712 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Would reinstalling from scratch help with performance?

Tip us?
 
andy_d0
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 219
Join Date: Oct 2012
Default Would reinstalling from scratch help with performance?

The last two months my s3 has been performing terribly. I was on custom ROMs for over a year and made the switch back to stock which made my s3 feel like a new phone. But the last two months is a different story. I can't figure out why but things keep stalling and I find myself restarting my phone more often than I would want to

Anyway, I'm wondering whether reinstalling the stock ROM would help any bit

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
 
theramsey3
Old
#2  
theramsey3's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 150
Posts: 351
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d0 View Post
The last two months my s3 has been performing terribly. I was on custom ROMs for over a year and made the switch back to stock which made my s3 feel like a new phone. But the last two months is a different story. I can't figure out why but things keep stalling and I find myself restarting my phone more often than I would want to

Anyway, I'm wondering whether reinstalling the stock ROM would help any bit

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
I went to stock 4.3 and it lagged terribly. I tried S3Rx and have fallen in love try it it may fix everything you don't like as it did for me. Look for it in the development section. There are still some things that don't work like bluetooth tethering. Look at it it is buttery smooth for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 running S3Rx MJ2 bootloader MJB modem and it is smooth
 
andy_d0
Old
#3  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 219
Join Date: Oct 2012
Ok I'm sold. I'll give it a shot. But, what is with the MJ2 / MJB stuff?
 
dawgdoc
Old
#4  
Member
Thanks Meter 24
Posts: 79
Join Date: Nov 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d0 View Post
Ok I'm sold. I'll give it a shot. But, what is with the MJ2 / MJB stuff?
The stock / OTA 4.3 comes with the MJB version of bootloader and modem. The earlier leaked version of the Samsung/AT&T 4.3 ROM came with the MJ2 modem and bootloader. As long as you are installing to the correct device, the d2att, there should be no issues with the MJB modem, as long as it is good in your area. Some prefer the MJ2 bootloader over the MJB because the MJB will brick your phone if you try to Odin to an earlier version of stock. Yet some of the well known devs do not have an issue with the MJB bootloader. It is not until the last few days that recovery flashable version of the stock 4.3 became available, enewman17 posted it in the development forum.

SGS3 SGH-i747

TW 4.1.2, stock, rooted,
TiBu frozen

Samsung Captivate SGH-i897
Currently CyanogenMod 10.1.3
resurrected from softbrick using 4-2ndtwin's Heimdall OneClick to stock Gingerbread - 2.3.5 - kk4
ROM history Eclair > Froyo > Gingerbread > CM9
 
andy_d0
Old
#5  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 219
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgdoc View Post
The stock / OTA 4.3 comes with the MJB version of bootloader and modem. The earlier leaked version of the Samsung/AT&T 4.3 ROM came with the MJ2 modem and bootloader. As long as you are installing to the correct device, the d2att, there should be no issues with the MJB modem, as long as it is good in your area. Some prefer the MJ2 bootloader over the MJB because the MJB will brick your phone if you try to Odin to an earlier version of stock. Yet some of the well known devs do not have an issue with the MJB bootloader. It is not until the last few days that recovery flashable version of the stock 4.3 became available, enewman17 posted it in the development forum.
Ah ok thanks for the info. I just got done installing the ROM and so far so good. Thanks for the recommend!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes