Get a Complete Set of Logs with Andy Log

The importance of proper logging is undeniable. No, we’re not talking about lumberjack work. … more

Try Some Android Lollipop Applications on Your Device

Android 5.0 Lollipop has been officially announced and lucky users of Google Nexus 5 … more

AutoCon Manages Your Connections to Perserve Battery Life

As we’ve talked about in the past, battery life is still somewhat of a sore … more

How to Unlock and Root a Nexus Device – XDA TV

It is official–Google has released the Nexus 6 and the Nexus 9. The Nexus family … more

First File Manager For windows Phone 8 with Full SD Card Access Capability

OP Amirphp

27th February 2014, 03:09 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Allahabad
Thanks Meter: 8

44 posts
Donate to Me
More
Now Windows Phone 8 Got his First Real File manager.
Pocket File Manager .
Now The latest improvement:
- Full Access to media library
- Full access to video files
- Full access to SD Card
* I think Now Microsoft open windows phone 8 API's .
Common Developers....Hurry Up...
Now U can Make More Powerful File managers for Wp8.
Get it Here:
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-in/st...0-043e58e55b19
Checked....Working Fine with All capabilities in....
Last edited by Amirphp; 27th February 2014 at 01:00 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Amirphp For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th February 2014, 10:51 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Developer
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 2,707

5,725 posts
More
Yeaaaah this was posted a couple days ago so I wouldn't really call it "GRAB IT FAST" (nor, for that matter, is this post quite in line with the forum rules as you're kinda-sorta advertising a paid app, even though it's not yours).

If you read the dev's forum thread (it's not here, it's easy enough to find though) you'll see he got special permission from Microsoft to use a capability which is normally only available to OEMs. Sure, it's a good sign and may mean good things to come, but don't go getting all breathlessly excited about it *just* yet!

Also, "Full API Access" is a pretty bad description. It doesn't appear to use any non-standard APIs at all, in fact (I decompiled it already). The filesystem APIs are available to all developers. You just can't *DO* much with them because apps run in sandboxes with very low permissions. The dev got permission to add *one* extra capability, ID_CAP_MEDIALIB_PHOTO_FULL, which gives full access to the pictures library and the SD card. It does not give anything even vaguely close to full access to the whole phone (as a trivial example, it still doesn't give access to the Documents folder). It's also not something that just any random developer is going to be able to use.

Thanks for trying, though, I guess...
27th February 2014, 12:31 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Flag Allahabad
Thanks Meter: 8

44 posts
Donate to Me
More
Not the means of any ad here.
I just got it...usefull....
Delete the thread...if its not suitable here.
thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to Amirphp For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th February 2014, 04:57 PM   |  #4  
Flag Rome
Thanks Meter: 69

268 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amirphp

Not the means of any ad here.
I just got it...usefull....
Delete the thread...if its not suitable here.
thanks

I don't think this thread should be deleted.

Anyway I just went to the Pocket File Manager facebook and this is what I found out :

"Hello developers.

I want to info you that in next version of Pocket File Manager we added support for third party application to save files into Phone storage and SD Card. It is very simple process and will cost you nothing.

How it works:

All what you need is to add special extension into your file and execute Launcher. PFM will receive file and save it to desired location , also it will remove extension so the file name remains original.

Extensions supproted:

.tosd - Save file to SD Card. For example you have file named "my new file.dat" and you want to save it to SD card. Rename the file to "my new file.dat.tosd" and use Windows.System.Launcher.LaunchFileAsync(); PFM will store the file named "my new file.dat" in SD Card. If no SD card is presents file will be stored into Phone's storage Picture folder)

.tols - Save file to PFM local storage.

.tops - Save file to Phone's storage under the Pictures folder.

If you have any questions fill free to ask!"

Maybe this can be helpfull to other developers that can't get the ID_CAP_MEDIALIB_PHOTO_FULL capability for their own app.

I think this is interesting ...
28th February 2014, 10:27 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
Wink Best app
Super app!! Installed trial version on Lumia 925, all works as described. Hurry up developers!!!
1st March 2014, 05:37 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 0

6 posts
This looks great! But I wish the ability to access even a small part of the SD card was open to all developers. Its been very difficult to build a productivity app when the only way to get files out of the phone is email. Looks like he got into the Nokia collection about a month before he added the capability, I assume Nokia made this happen.
1st March 2014, 06:56 AM   |  #7  
Recognized Developer
Flag Seattle

5,725 posts
More
That could be. Nokia has the ability to add ID_CAP_MEDIALIB_PHOTO_FULL to "their" apps if they want; they could probably arrange for this app to receive it.

I'm with you on the SD thing. The official APIs for SD access (read-only, limited to the file types you specify beforehand, can't specify reserved file types, can only see so many files) are really stupid.

The fact that 8.1 supposedly allows devs to enable installing apps to SD is encouraging. If that feature stays, there's a decent change it will mean the apps are installed to a FAT partition, which would mean they would have full access, automatically (MS can restrict access to the mount point, but then the app couldn't get at its own binaries and resources; if they allow that, they allow it all). Of course, they might split-partition the card, making part of it NTFS so that they can ACL it to hell again. Even then, though, you could remove the card and put it in a PC...
1st March 2014, 09:35 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 25

122 posts
From my experience with the emulator, the SD card still appears to be a single partition, FAT32 to be exact. Installed apps are stored in a hidden folder, namely WPSystem\Apps. Unless there's some trickery here that I'm unaware of...
1st March 2014, 08:06 PM   |  #9  
Recognized Developer
Flag Seattle

5,725 posts
More
Heh, "hidden" folder. Yeah, that'll be effective. I bet they set the readonly flag too...
2nd March 2014, 10:48 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 25

122 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDayToDie

Heh, "hidden" folder. Yeah, that'll be effective. I bet they set the readonly flag too...

That folder was there before, but now it also contains apps and appdata as well, besides some system files from before. Some folders are marked as partially read-only.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread